How much better would an e30 M3 be than my 87 325is?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • nando
    replied
    Originally posted by zedfez
    It does have a wider wheelbase, different suspension geometry (much more caster), larger wheels and tires (and more aftermarket choices because of the 5 lug), different gear ratios, and different body panels which both improved aerodynamics and reduced body flex.

    All in all, if you are good at and enjoy driving your cars to their limits, the M3 will be worth it 100%. If you drive like a normal person, it will just be like a 325 with a less useful torque curve.
    but aside from the body differences -there isn't anything really unique about the suspension. The caster comes from offset CABs that you can fit on any E30 (as is commonly done anyway). The flares don't really make the car a whole lot wider, and the OP has an 87 so he has a tire advantage over the later cars already. a narrowbody can be built to handle just like the M3. 5 lug is barely an advantage - there are plenty of great wheels in 4 lug, as well as nice BBKs. OEM tires are the same nominal diameter (~23.9"), although it may be slightly easier to fit a wider tire on an M3. I guess if you like the visual appeal of an extra bolt?

    Personally, I think most people get the E30 M3 because OMG it's an E30 M3!! But unless it's built like marianos - it's not going to be a whole lot different - and you'd better bring your checkbook!

    I'll give the M3 additional rigidity, looks, history and of course holding its value better, but if you want to take a car to the track and beat the shit out of it, I don't think the M3 has a real advantage here - especially since you will be beating on a peice of history instead of a one out of 2.5 million 318/325.

    I don't really "get" DDing an E30 M3 either, I've had too many close calls in my own POS..

    Leave a comment:


  • Optimator
    replied
    I believe NYC traffic would cause your penis to shrivel up into your abdomen around 2 inches, resulting in a shallow pleasure hole that could be orally stimulated in a similar fashion to eating a woman's box.

    Leave a comment:


  • SpecM
    replied
    downtown Ashville is hell to navigate at 5pm, no lie

    Leave a comment:


  • Optimator
    replied
    Originally posted by Julien
    I'm talking about traffic, something absent from your suburb of god's country
    Sorry, I forgot about the sprawling metropolis known as Asheville, NC.

    Leave a comment:


  • TDE30
    replied
    Originally posted by blunt
    you are just as ignorant as i imagined. i would like you to come visit gods country and all its splendor. youll never go back to ct or socal.
    Heh, I see what you did there.

    Leave a comment:


  • blunttech
    replied
    Originally posted by Julien
    I'm talking about traffic, something absent from your suburb of god's country
    theres a fair amount of traffic when the MILFS pick up the kiddies from school

    Leave a comment:


  • blunttech
    replied
    Originally posted by Optimator
    Pardon me. How many traffic lights are in Wayzata, Minnesota? Two?

    And rush hour, is that when Ol' Farmer Jim takes his John Deere tractor onto a road with a double line painted down the center?
    you are just as ignorant as i imagined. i would like you to come visit gods country and all its splendor. youll never go back to ct or socal.

    Leave a comment:


  • Julien
    replied
    Originally posted by blunt
    i dont know what this is about "m3's suck as a dd".
    I'm talking about traffic, something absent from your suburb of god's country

    Leave a comment:


  • Optimator
    replied
    Pardon me. How many traffic lights are in Wayzata, Minnesota? Two?

    And rush hour, is that when Ol' Farmer Jim takes his John Deere tractor onto a road with a double line painted down the center?

    Leave a comment:


  • blunttech
    replied
    theres no comparison. i have both an 88 325is thats bone stock and an 88 m3 thats bone stock. they are very different and the m3 is 10x the fun. they are both underpowered but the m3 is just fun to drive. i have no problems daily driving either. i dont know what this is about "m3's suck as a dd". its light nimble and balanced perfectly. throwing a 6 in any e30 chassis has a detrimental effect in handling

    Leave a comment:


  • rThor432
    replied
    All this talk of 4-banger's having better turn-in is making me not want to sell my 318is..

    I like the revvy nature and bodywork of the M3, but really it depends on what you want. You can turn the same lap time in either one if both are similarly prepared (same springs/shocks/tires/driver).

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeK
    replied
    with the drum brakes in the rear, they'll need alot of pumpin

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    Pump the brakes? Is that what M10 powered 318 drivers have to do, because the engine barely provides enough power to move the car forward, never mind vacuum to the booster? :razz:

    Leave a comment:


  • E30_Pare
    replied
    Originally posted by FredK
    Nah, it's not that bad. How do people in bone stock 1984-85 M10 powered cars survive? :p

    woah.. woah.. woah.. pump the brakes there buddy. I survive fine with my m10. lol.

    Leave a comment:


  • Julien
    replied
    Originally posted by FredK
    Nah, it's not that bad. How do people in bone stock 1984-85 M10 powered cars survive? :p
    it's not a question of power, but a question of driveability.. for instance my 318ic (bone stock m40) is more drivable in traffic than my 2.7L high compression m20 with ltw flywheel and shrick cam.. Just didn't enjoy the e30 m3 until I took out of a street setting (I drove tim shuddard's e30m3 when grassroots did the e30 challenge both on a street course and on the skidpad)

    Julien
    Last edited by Julien; 12-08-2008, 08:26 AM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...