Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a link to a thread with differences from m3 to e30 325is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a link to a thread with differences from m3 to e30 325is?

I have tried searching. Anybody have a link that explains the differences in suspension and brakes. Thanks

325is have 260mm while m3 have 280mm brakes,oh and other differene is in that normal e30s have 4x100 and m3 have 5x120 lug setup.

sorry my english isnt the best ;)
    I www.ak-bmwcroatia.com I

:wgaf:

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by -Jelko- View Post
        325is have 260mm while m3 have 280mm brakes,oh and other differene is in that normal e30s have 4x100 and m3 have 5x120 lug setup.
        Well, that covers the issue of the brakes.

Basically, the differences are in:

1.) Brakes/wheels
        2.) motor/balance
        3.) drive train
        3.) body work

1.) an e30 m3 will out break a standard e30 by several feet(much less than a dozen?), depending on pads/rotars used. IMHO, you have better luck finding "cool" rims in 5x120 e30 fitment than the the stock 4x100. But if you want to buy used, you'll find several good 4/on/100 rims out there - even old school stuff that is so much more desirable.

2.) For car "balance" - A s14 motor is about as heavy as a m20/m40, but it's shoved further back toward the firewall - kinda. Some people will say it's half as light - don't listen to them. It's still made of iron - trust me, you put it in water, it will sink. Dispite this, some people still think it is made of hydrogen.

The S14 e30 m3 is both an awesome part of motorsports history, and a bitch to rebuild. A rebuild, done right, in parts alone is north of 4k. Add labor to that and you are looking at a 10k rebuild. (someone here will come along to say they did a s14 rebuild for $200 bucks - they lie or used a spray can)

The S14 makes sweat sexy sounds when your rev it, and if you know how to squeaze every ounce of power out of it, you'll be rewarded. With that said, it makes a shitty daily driver.

3.) Not much to say here, but e30m3's has a higher diff. 4.10 LSD. "Road and track" did a test years ago that compaired the m3 to a stock 325is. turned out the stock e30 was faster from 0-60

3.) body work - you won't find sexy body work like the m3 - anywhere.

Any - and I mean any - 1984 e30 non-M3 can be made to out brake, out corner, out accelerate, out perform any e30 M3. It's just the e30m3 does it stock - and that is nothing to scoff about. Not at all.
        Last edited by george graves; 12-18-2008, 02:59 PM.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

4:10 LSD + lower gas prices FTMW!

Comment

Having had a 85 325e which I put an I head on running on megasquirt and now having an E30 M3. I think George has covered the differences pretty well, in my case I did a full rebuild for about 3K and did my own labour. My motor had 120K miles on it when I did it. It wasn't any more difficult technically then any other motor IMO.

Also wanted to add it just feels way more stable at speed on the highway.

Comment

Maluco, I thought there might be an older thread with a chart or something that showed the differences.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                Any - and I mean any - 1984 e30 non-M3 can be made to out brake, out corner, out accelerate, out perform and e30M3. IT's just the e30m3 does it stock - and that is nothing to scoff about. Not at all.

True, but it's still not an original M3 :(
                1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
                  True, but it's still not an original M3 :(
                  Umm, you are arguing my point?
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I think George meant the m3 has "lower" diff. Low gears are numerically higher. Think of a transmission: 1st gear is geared lower than 5th. The ratio on first is usually 3.xx vs the ratio on 5th, which is something like .80.

Low gear = numerically higher
                    High gear = numerically lower

Ex: 4.10 is a lower ratio than 3.23, but is also numerically higher.

Comment

The S14 isn't much lighter than the M20 but it's still lighter by 25lbs and about 65lbs lighter than an M50. Having 2 less cylinders keeps the weight further back also. Plenty of good threads on bimmerforums.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Lots of differences.

Bigger sway bars and different mounting points hasn't been mentioned yet. Winshield is also bonded to the chassis, which adds some rigidity.
                        sigpic
                        "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

offset CAB's and a wider track as well. These are easily switched over for non-M's as well but the M3 had them stock.
                          sigpic89 M3

Comment

Working...
                          X