So why is everyone so anti-CAI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So why is everyone so anti-CAI?

I've been debating on getting a CAI setup for my car but all I read is to not even bother. Are these people speaking from experience or just because they BELIEVE that they don't work?

The opinions seem to be really mixed. I'm asking because I'm debating between a Kamotors setup or the Signature Motoring shield on Ebay.

Facts & opinions wanted!:hitler:

maybe because they do nothing on an e30?
    '12 F30 328i Sport Line
    '91 SpecE30 #523
    '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

CAI can be a good thing.... When done right...

But the bang for the buck is well...

Not much bang.

Comment

Originally posted by kishg View Post
        maybe because they do nothing on an e30?
        They sound nice - that's something!!!
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
          Are you guys saying that because you've run them and you've either lost power or done nothing.... or because that's what you've heard?

Comment

Well, at least for the M42, the stock airbox is plenty big enough and offers very good filtration. The only real bottleneck is the intake tube behind the headlights. Replace that hose with a 3" diameter pipe and that is as good as you will get without a tuned resonance intake. Ghetto, yes, but it really is the best option. I'm not sure how different the M20 is in that respect, but you won't see much of a gain from a CAI.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

The stock one does the job pretty well, the stock filter element isn't very restrictive while still doing a good job of filtering out particles. The only thing they really do is give some nicer sound. Not against one but I have better things to do and I will do this mod once I get everything else done and it should complement the other mod nicely rather than trying to get anything out of just getting a CAI.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                ...but you won't see much of a gain from a CAI.
                But that's the point I'm attempting to make. There still has to be some gain, right? Now I know E30s are nowhere near race cars but even a couple HP/TQ is better than nothing for a few bucks, isn't it?

It's just dawning on me that if I want to do anymore upgrades, it's gonna involve redoing the top end or adding a turbo. Two things that are very pricey and time-consuming, not to mention another project, which I don't need right now.

I'm thinking about doing this along with 19lb. injectors that I've already bought and an upgraded Mark D chip for 19lb. injectors.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                  Those filter housings with the shroud and cone in the middle (like a jet engine) do sound downright evil...

Comment

My dad's m42 has a CAI in it.
                    My m42 has stock air box.

My m42 has noticeably more power.

They just don't do much. They can be a hindrance if anything if done wrong. If you're going to do it. Do it right with and use the CAI kit from Kamotors.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Just swiss cheese the stock airbox like Porsche does...you get the sound and heck maybe a placebo-like effect of going faster.

K&N drop-in filter is something I've been meaning to do.
                      Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by dandingo View Post
                        But that's the point I'm attempting to make. There still has to be some gain, right? Now I know E30s are nowhere near race cars but even a couple HP/TQ is better than nothing for a few bucks, isn't it?

It's just dawning on me that if I want to do anymore upgrades, it's gonna involve redoing the top end or adding a turbo. Two things that are very pricey and time-consuming, not to mention another project, which I don't need right now.

I'm thinking about doing this along with 19lb. injectors that I've already bought and an upgraded Mark D chip for 19lb. injectors.
                        just do injectors/chip. there are dyno results out there showing net losses from running cai. if any gain can be made, its probably not worth it.
                        '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                        '91 SpecE30 #523
                        '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

I cut up my stock airbox (just the bottem, left side, and front), and I'm sure it causes a little power loss (prob not much), but it sounds pretty good and was free.
                          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

I think the m42 is a grenade with the pin pulled... with a CAI (which I have) makes it sound like a fuckn sewing machine hooked up to 220 for about 20 seconds..with a chip at 6800 oh MY GOD does it sound horrible.. Im looking for a stock box at the junkyard, Besides.. my flowmaster sounds fuckn sweet!

I also wish there was a Chip that had the same gains without the bullshit 7k redline.

whats the injector hopup? I didnt even know there was one.

Comment

everybody always says how putting a cone filter on with out a shield is going to lose power because its sucking in hot air, and I agree with this 100%. If your going to just run a cone filter you aren't going to see any gains even when you ARE moving. I was surprised to see how little air gets past and around the headlights. If hot air is losing power then wouldn't cold air be a good thing? Simply routing air from an open spot in the grill gets air about 10+ degrees cooler than the stock airbox setup. The E30 isn't some special car that isn't effected by cold air. Cold air is always a good thing.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Working...
                              X