• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris Bangle Bungles another Bimmer

The 5 series GT

The idiot in chief

Chris Bangle steps down

We have been waiting for this day too long ! Today BMW suddenly announced the departure of Chris Bangle !! The short statement only said that he is leaving BMW with immediate effect to pursue his own design career beyond automotive industry. His position as the design director of BMW Group has been replaced by Adrian van Hooydonk, currently the design chief of BMW brand.

It is not known yet why Bangle left so suddenly, even without a chance to say goodbye to the press. It might be somewhat premature to assume that he had lost the support of top management or had severe disagreement with them, but from my experience of observing the auto industry leads me believe that his departure did not come as his plan. Let's wait for insiders to speak out.

American Bangle started his car design career at Opel, then turned to FIAT, where he designed the Fiat Coupe (though the car was built by Pininfarina). BMW hunted him as design chief in 1992. His first car was Z3, a very retro, un-BMW car. In the first few years his designs were overseen by product chief Wolfgang Reitzle, but when the latter left, Bangle began realizing his unusual taste in the production BMWs. This came the famous / notorious "Flame Surface" design theme and a series of controversial designs.

The motoring public appeared to be shocked at first, then gradually accepted his new design languages. Some press even described his new designs brought BMW unpreceding sales success, something I cannot agree with. In fact, BMW increased its investment into new cars and technology development drastically in the same period. The availability of a wider and more diversified model portfolio was the prime reason for the increased sales. There is no evidence that the sales was stimulated by his new designs. On the contrary, the disappointing sales of Z4 and 6-Series are down to their controversial designs.

However, don't think the forthcoming BMWs will be beautiful again anytime soon. Adrian van Hooydonk has been the right-hand man of Bangle and shares much of his taste. Some of the existing BMW cars, such as 6-series, 7-series E65, Z9 concept and CS concept, were penned by him under the watch of Bangle.

To say goodbye to Mr. Bangle, let us have a look back to his masterpieces through the years:

Bangle's Ugliest Designs:

Z3 (1996) - first retro BMW

1-Series (2002) - first "Flame Surface" experiment

X3 (2003) - rough and unimaginative

Bangle's Most Controversial Designs:

7-Series E65 (2001) - "Bangle Butt"

5-Series (2003) - like a heavily bruised tin

Z4 (2002) - proportion seriously distorted

Bangle's Silliest Concept Cars:

Mille Miglia (2006) - tried to redo a 1936 BMW 328

CS Concept (2007) - American-style bulldog

GINA Light Visionary 2008 - cloth skin is pointless from engineering viewpoint

No wonder he got fired. Too bad it took so long.
    Last edited by tjts1; 02-12-2009, 11:26 PM.

Has it ever occurred to most of you people that are constantly bitching about Bangle's designs that you are CLEARLY not their targeted demographic?

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
      Has it ever occurred to most of you people that are constantly bitching about Bangle's designs that you are CLEARLY not their targeted demographic?
      Obviously. We're all broke so we've come to love the boxes that are our E30's.

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
      No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

whats funny is the only bangle designs i dislike out of those listed are are the Z4, X3 and the concept cars (incl the 5 series GT, i rarely like concept cars).
        http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
          Yeah, his target market is the visually impared and the more money than brains club.

Comment

Originally posted by Desaevious View Post
            Obviously. We're all broke so we've come to love the boxes that are our E30's.
            So true.

Comment

i think that is very ugly

that being said, i like most of his other stuff. new 3 is sex
              Originally posted by blunt
              can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                Yeah, his target market is the visually impared and the more money than brains club.
                I agree with this guy
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

The author of that Autozine article is an idiot. That's the equivalent of me writing an article on submachine guns. If you don't actually know anything about the subject, keep your mouth shut.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                    yeah... and....?

haha

The badge means alot to those kind of people, styling that we would like is irrelavant.

It is a business after all, for better or for worse

Edit: and i refuse to accept the Z3 as one of BMWs ugliest

Comment

Neither is the X3. It's far more attractive than any of the competition at the time, and still is.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

I kinda like the GT

and WTF is up w/ you guys and that avatar?
                        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

yeah bangle sucks dick except i really liked the concept cs... :)
                          AW 89' 325i Vert - SOLD

Comment

Holy crap. Bangle looks. Just. Like. blunt. D:

also lol what is that, a Pontiac Aztek?
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Well, I guess BMW decided they needed a crossover vehicle to compete in that class.

Z4s have definitely grown on me over time.
                              R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Working...
                              X