VIN Decoder LSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIN Decoder LSD

Found a junked non iS e30 with no wheels sitting in the mud. Cant really get under it to check the tag. I've tried 5 or so VIN decoders. None tell if the car came with a posi. Am I missing one that will give that info.

Thanks

Every decoder I've seen shows a locking differential option if the car has it, so I'd say it does not have one if not displaying. Granted one could have been swapped in over the years.

Comment

One does say dynamic stability control. Is that code for LSD?

Comment

What's the VIN?
        91 318iS - aluminum M52B28 + ZF320 + 3.15 Torsen

Comment

look for a 25%
          thats the LSD
          91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
          Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
          E30 can make you, E30 can break you
          "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            Every decoder I've seen shows a locking differential option if the car has it, so I'd say it does not have one if not displaying. Granted one could have been swapped in over the years.
            Could also have been swapped out too even if it showed up as having a LSD when it was new! Only real way to tell is to find a way to lift the car and check the tag on the diff or take the rear cover off and have a look.
            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post

Could also have been swapped out too even if it showed up as having a LSD when it was new! Only real way to tell is to find a way to lift the car and check the tag on the diff or take the rear cover off and have a look.
              take the cover off? why not turn the driveshaft one full turn and see how many times the wheel/shaft part turns...

Comment

You can lift the rear end up, turn the driveshaft and see if both wheels turn in the same direction - if they do then it's likely an LSD. Thing is, diffs that are on their way out can sometimes lock up and behave the same way - I've had this before when at pick a part, got all excited just to get the diff home and realise that it's just a dying diff, not an LSD.
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
                X