Zinc plating DIY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zinc plating DIY?

Anyone here ever done DIY zinc plating before? Thinking of giving it a go, then doing the chromate coating for an upcoming....project. I've watched a million youtube vids but wanted to see if anyone here had a good method they've used and found works well.

Thanks guys!
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

never done it before but especially if the piece is large it might be easier and cheaper to just take it to a galvanization facility. they have them all over. just my first impression.

if its small it may be worth it but I imagine the proper procedure is more complex than just submerging the piece in molten zinc

Comment

Jordan did it for his restorations.
      91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
      Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
      E30 can make you, E30 can break you
      "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Ohhh I'll have to check Jordan's threads out then.

It's mostly for hardware and what not that will be seen, just to give it that little.....panache.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
          Ohhh I'll have to check Jordan's threads out then.

It's mostly for hardware and what not that will be seen, just to give it that little.....panache.
          his alpine white 318is's hardware looks factory its nuts.
          91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
          Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
          E30 can make you, E30 can break you
          "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post

his alpine white 318is's hardware looks factory its nuts.
            Yeah, I'm going to be pulling my e28 out of the weeds to do a proper job on it soon. I read that the coating isn't great for big stuff, like heavy engine fasteners, but the majority of what I want to do it smaller stuff for aesthetics.

Comment

I prep all my own material, and then drop it off at a local place to have it bright zinc plated with yellow dichromate finish. They charge ~$90 per batch up to a certain weight, which I'm never anywhere near.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

i did my own zinc plating for my own bolts when i restored my miata. It's relatively simple as long as you get the chemistry and setup correct. The yellow that you see on the bolts is a dye called yellow chromate and it adds an addtional layer of corrosion resistance properties.

do a search on the cafe racer forums. I got most of my resources on there. I don't remember exactly what i have now but i used mostly household items (vinegar, epson salt etc.)

Comment

Can't you just get bolts and nuts that look generic from another supplier much cheaper?

For example, the M10x40 bolts for the lollipops 31111137888 have some strange dimples, but they cost $6 each.

And this one costs $0.95.
                  Bel-Metric sells metric hardware & specialty automotive supplies nationwide. Visit our website to purchase metric fasteners, nuts, bolts, Time-Sert kits & more.

Also, isn't it better to replace all lock nuts with the ones that have nylon rings?

Comment

Have you had a look at Caswell plating kits?
                    I've used them before (Caswell Australia) and they've been pretty good to give things a new looking Yellow Zinc coating.

Sure, it's not going to give you 1,000hrs Neutral Salt Spray (NSS) resistance - but for the backyard enthusiast doing a few pieces here & there it does the job
                    E30 320i vert
                    But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Originally posted by hkv View Post
                      if its small it may be worth it but I imagine the proper procedure is more complex than just submerging the piece in molten zinc
                      Not what he is talking about. He is talking about zinc electroplating. No molten metal involved.

OP, I'm assuming you already know about Caswell and their kits:

Comment

Yes, I've seen those. May end up going that route. We've been playing with rust removal by electrolysis during downtime at the shop.

I want to see about doing the fuel rail and DI lines on my N54 as well, but not sure how the coating will do with the fuel and pressures.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
                          Can't you just get bolts and nuts that look generic from another supplier much cheaper?

Also, isn't it better to replace all lock nuts with the ones that have nylon rings?
                          I'm won't use non original manufacturer bolts, the brands and markings on the heads are extremely important to me.

Yes on replacing the nyloc nuts but realistically they are perfectly reusable.

Super Anal OCD aside look at how many fasteners are laid on on my tool box, price those out at 50c or $1 each (some would be much much more) and its well worth it to have the original hardware processed and replated.
                          Last edited by Jordan; 12-06-2019, 11:33 AM.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post

Can you just buy Yellow Chromate to make white zinc parts golden?
                            https://www.caswellplating.com/elect...-chromate.html

I found this DIY for plating https://www.yamaha-enduros.com/index...s?limitstart=0
                            Last edited by Vincenze; 12-06-2019, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                              Not what he is talking about. He is talking about zinc electroplating. No molten metal involved.

I see that now, I don't know why but the first thing that came to my mind was hot dip galvanizing a subframe or trailing arm which could actually be kinda cool. my mistake!

Comment

Working...
                              X