Phone mount in dash blank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone mount in dash blank?

Has anyone ever seen or executed a phone mount that used a blank dash spot? I have a blank with an led for an old alarm. While thinking of clever ways to mount a phone, it dawned on me that this spot is near perfect...

The only problem is figuring out how to attach it in the hole securely...

Any ideas?

I personally like the race german solution as a cellphone takes the place of most of the practical functions of the OBC and can easily be returned to stock if selling. The dated functionality of the OBC is definitely a cool feature of the e30 so curious to see if you press on with the blank.

Comment

I don't want to replace the OBC. I like having it in there.

The mount would be in place of a button blank next to the speaker balance control, above the headunit

Comment

Yes ive dne one with ma 3d printer and a cheap phone clamp
        My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

Comment

I have an OBC delete and have thought of doing something exactly like this. I just don't know where to start.
          91 318is M50 swapped
          05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

It's a fine idea, but remember that those covers just snap in to place and probably can't support any real weight on their own, especially if you want an articulated mount that would add side load. As such, you'd really need to mount to something behind the blank, like the head unit shroud or the HVAC box.

I don't know how you feel about it, but for me, the space forward of the ash tray is a perfect phone holder, and allows for a good angle on the screen with zero modifications.

Comment

In my other car i have one of those magnetic circles on the dashboard which works surprising well with the metal plate installed between the phone and the phone case. Not particularly this one, but same idea:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universa...c4H70XOTJaxhCA

If i drove my e30 more id get one of them for it. Stick it on anything you like. if you know someone with a 3D printer you could get them to print something to slot into the button slot with a way to stick one of these magnet things on. But just need to make sure it is sturdy as mentioned by Mr toaster.

Comment

send some idea pics... as far as I can tell... there is no place to mount a phone on an e30 dash. sent from hell using tapatalk
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                '90 325i sedan daily driven
                '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Working...
                X