E30 Convertible Top Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Convertible Top Question

I’m looking to purchase a 318i convertible, the original top and frame was removed and a new frame/top installed. Went and test drove the car, and noticed the top did not close all the way in the rear. It would latch upfront but not in the rear. From my understanding the top just stays shut with gravity, no latches? Anyways from a little bit of research it looks like this can be adjusted by putting some shims in the rear mechanism. I was hoping to get some input on whether or not this will work. The gap is maybe an inch/ inch and a half. 1990 318i 98k original miles $2800.

thanks.

on my vert.... when you shut the front of the top, it mechanically locks the rear part down on top of the top cover door. If you close the top with the door up, it locks in place. Sounds like either it isnt adjusted right, or there is a mechanical issue with the top itself.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trHP1oI1R38

You might have watched this already, but if not, it is very useful.

Comment

Sometimes it looks like more of a gap than actually exists because the top material is not flush. The real gap to check is between the seal and the boot lid. A 1.5" gap is big, considering the thickness of the shims and the adjustability of the frame. If I was considering this car I would investigate before buying.

You also may want to post cabrio-specific questions in the cabrio section. There is lots of cabrio-specific knowledge there.
        1992 325i 'vert
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

Working...
        X