Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trans stuck in reverse.

hello all.
    i own a 1992 325ic that has been auto- standard converted. up until recently the car ran and drove great.

until....

now when doing the manual swap i bought a 325e car for all the parts that needed to be changed over to my car, the donor car is a 1987 325e with a manual trans (getrag 260). so after doing the swap and driving it for a year or two while maintaining standard maintenance i noticed it was time for a new shifter and shifter bushings, i was starting to get the car to be trackable for autocross and just fun on the weekends and tracking it at hallet speedway ever so often.

so i ordered a body mounted solid shifter and an upgraded shift selector rod from garagistic.com. when installing, everything went in just fine and i went through the gears fine a couple of times, but then out of no where the shifter gets stuck in reverse.

i tried everything besides taking the trans out to get it out of reverse and with no luck nothing... i have removed the new selector rod and it is in fact the transmission. even put stock parts back in to see if that was the problem but still no luck.

the clutch is also engaged and i have fluid pressure and when i press the clutch it acts normal no weird sounds and it releases fine, i just cant move the shifter out of reverse.

any advise or help would be much appreciated. im wondering if the car being a 325i and the trans being out of a 325e could be the problem but ive searched heaven and earth and cant find a solution besides replacing the entire trans. please help!
    Last edited by Gabe__E30; 07-02-2020, 06:08 AM.

Get under there, remove the selector rod, and make sure it's the shifting mechanism, not the trans itself.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

ForcedFirebird tried that is is the trans itself

Comment

Ah, then there's probably a bent shift fork inside the back housing. I have a couple here in the back of the shop that are stuck in 3rd, just haven't taken the time to pull them apart.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

That’s the only thing I think it could be but I figured might as well as r3v see what the pros thought💁🏻‍♀️ Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
          X