Zinc Plating Subframe/traiiling arms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
    if you are in the Portland, OR area, as you mentioned in a previous post, give these folks a try. i use them for all my media blasting and powder coating needs. they are good folks, reasonably priced, and have a fair turn around time. it goes without saying, but you will have to give them a completely disassembled trailing arm and subframe, in order for them to do the job.

Quality Sand Blasting and Powder Coating
    12805 SE Carpenter Drive #100
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into them. Yep, everything will be disassembled before hand.

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
      I really think OP should paint/powder coat. From March to June I did an OCD+ subframe/arms/underbodywork job on my daily e30, and ended up painting my subframe. The car is my daily, and has been through 33 years of New England winters (although it is/ has been always garaged and washed frequently) so the subframe and arms were crusty in spots. Mechanically stripped the rusty areas with wire wheels, leaving some areas where the factory paint was very well adhered, and then cleaned it all very well with acetone. Any areas that had some light pitting left behind from the rust got a light coat of rust reformer, then two coats of rust encapsulate paint. After that, I sanded and 2k primed everything, and then went through several cans of high solids chassis paint over it. Inside those hollow areas/ drip holes, I shot some internal frame coat spray with a flexible wand spray tip. Once it was all back in the car, I hit everything I could reach with some heavy duty cosmoline wax spray. Long story short, I feel confident in the paint and the process didn't really break the bank... Though I hope to have a second car sooner than later so I can keep the old girl off of the salty winter roads. Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
      I appreciate the quick how to! Great idea for those drip holes, never thought of that. Will definitely reference this post if I decide to paint everything myself.

Comment

You are overthinking it mate, its lasted 30 odd years painted..

Paint it black and put it back.

Comment

Originally posted by jwest11 View Post
          I appreciate the quick how to! Great idea for those drip holes, never thought of that. Will definitely reference this post if I decide to paint everything myself.
          I have had really good luck with Eastwood's products for doing my bodywork. For what I mentioned above, I used Eastwoods primer, rust encapsulator paint, and that internal frame coating with the flexible hose. Well worth the money... They also sell a brushable seam sealer for dressing panel repairs and that stuff is absolutely amazing imo. I think paint is the way to go. Plus, unlike paying for powder coating, you get to do all the prep and process yourself... I'm very particular so I actually preferred doing it all myself this way even if powder coating is accepted as "better" than paint. Happy to help if you've got any questions about what worked for me! Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
          (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

I thought that the parts were originally e-coated? That's generally what high volume manufacturers use, probably going to have a hard time finding someone to do individual parts, and I'm not sure how well they protect against corrosion. IMO painting is the way to go and I'd agree with 15Michaeljoseph's process except I'd just sandblast everything, mostly because it's fun. Chemically treat any rusted areas until the metal is perfectly clean then hit it with a gnarly epoxy primer.
            My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
              I thought that the parts were originally e-coated? That's generally what high volume manufacturers use, probably going to have a hard time finding someone to do individual parts, and I'm not sure how well they protect against corrosion. IMO painting is the way to go and I'd agree with 15Michaeljoseph's process except I'd just sandblast everything, mostly because it's fun. Chemically treat any rusted areas until the metal is perfectly clean then hit it with a gnarly epoxy primer.
              I think this guy is good at this

Comment

Working...
              X