Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting for AAA mini shoot

Story time :)

Finally made a new exhaust for my car so it would stop leaking and falling off every other week: 2.5" from the headers back to a Brullen muffler. We finished at 9pm Saturday night. My boss bet me that I couldn't go a week without getting pulled over for it.

Sunday morning, we left to head to Primer down in Charlestown for the show. Took all back roads to the show to play around a bit and hear the exhaust. Scared a few dogs and horses and old people along the way :D.

Got to the show and walked around for a few hours before getting hungry. Left with Mike to go to Wendys to get some food and decided to switch cars for the ride back. Spot a cop hiding in a parking lot up ahead so we both slow down and cruise by like normal and he doesn't pull out (giggity). So we speed up to about 10 over and continue on our way back to the show. About a half mile down the road, I look in the rear view and see the cop come flying up behind us, passing people in the oncoming highway lanes. He pulls both of our cars over and goes up to mike in my car first. I hear him say "what is this, Nascar?" before traffic starts to drive by and drown out his voice. He then walks up to us and says the following:

Him: "what is this, Nas..." *he gets a call on his radio about some drunk teens down at the beach and pauses to listen.*
    "what is this, Nascar?"
    Me: No sir, we were just out driving and decided to switch cars so we could see what they look like from outside.
    Him: You know your vehicle does not comply with the Rhode Island state inspection?
    Me: My car or this car?
    Him: This car
    Me: This isn't my car
    Him: You're driving it though
    Me: why not? it has a sticker
    Him: that exhaust is completely illegal (prob) and those tail lights are tinted way too dark (factory smoked Hellas)
    Me: I'm pretty sure the tail lights are factory
    Him: no way, I can tell that you made them darker.
    Me: well its not my car so I'm not sure
    Him: well you're driving it so it's your problem.

He then asks for my licence and registration. I give him my licence (which looks nothing like me anymore because I just cut 12 inches of hair off) and start looking for mikes registration. I see a yellow piece of paper so I pull it out and flip it over. Its a ticket.

Him: (acting happy) oh, will you look at that! lets take a look and see what your buddy has been up to.

I see Mikes palm hit his face in the rear view. The cop looks at the ticket and sees it was for running a stop sign at 2am a few months ago.

Him: (a little less happy) failure to stop. that's nice.

He then starts to walk around the car to find more things wrong as I continue to look for the registration.

Him: No registration, nice. Looks like your buddy's going to be in quite a bit of..

I hand him the registration.

Him: *hmpf* I'll be back

He then goes back to his car and sits there while all sorts of open pipe Harley's with no helmets and knobby tired trucks drive by. He goes up to mike and hands him a few tickets and mike drives away. He then comes up to me and says that he wrote mike up for my exhaust and no front plate.

Me: I'm sorry about the front plate, I just got a new bump...
    Him: it doesn't matter
    Me yeah, but I'm just tell...
    Him: it doesn't matter

I shut up and take the tickets.

Me: 9having never gotten anything but a speeding ticket before) so how does this work? Does he pay these tickets because its his car and I pay mine for my car?
    Him: (loudly and with more of a pronounced accent) you're driving the cah, its yaw responsibility. You may be able to get away with stuff like this elsewhere in RI, but not in Westerly (lol, westerly is a small little town surrounded by hicksville)

Me: ok, thank you offi...

He starts walking back to his car and in the time it takes me to put my licence back in my wallet he has already flown past me and taken the next exit with his lights flashing.

Now the fun starts :D

I get a call not a minute after leaving that my car broke. Mike had been going along waiting up for me when the engine clunked and stopped. He managed to coast into a church parking lot right off the highway. he thought it sounded like a rocker arm broke, so we pulled the valve cover off to see. Sure enough, the intake #3 rocker arm had broke. But... there was another screw sitting in the head :|. I looked at the timing chain and noticed that the cam gear was resting about half an inch down from where it was supposed to be. The screws holding the cam gear to the cam apparently backed their way out and allowed the cam to come free, causing my rocker to break and I'm sure many other fun things. My day was done, so I called AAA and mike took everyone else back to the show while I waited.

Cliffs: New exhaust, ticket for exhaust, dick cop, broked m30

And here's where the pic's begin!

Byron
    Leichtbau

wow cops are always hassling. my old e30 had supersprint headers, no cat, resonators, back to a triflo muffler. needless to say i got pulled over regularly just to be hassled. it was totally worth it though ahah.
    Originally posted by blunt
    i called my 17 yo paperboy "sugartits" in a christmas card 3 years ago. he never came back and im not joking.

Comment

damn.......

what a story
      PNW E30 Crew : 1991 E30 S50, 2000 E39 M5

sigpic

Follow my S50 build
      : MY S50 E30

Follow me on instagram : @damendesign

E30 T-Shirts | M3 T-Shirts /Prints

Comment

Sounds like the last ticket I got. Life sucks man, gluck with the car though. AAA has saved my ass a number of times.
        Originally posted by csermonet47
        Vlad, you are handling this quite unprofessionally.

Also, you are a cock with tacky taste.

That is all.

Comment

yep, welcome to the exhaust club. i get pulled over frequently for mine.

i guess it is a little loud though... :)

Comment

i drove around lake oswego, oregon with no muffler for like 3 weeks. the car sounded like a freaking race car. i never got pulled over, though.

glad you see you were still in good enough spirits to do a photoshoot after all that bullshit.
            http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

look like we are in the same boat my friend, i just ordered a new set of rockers arms not 2 minutes before i sat down to read this thread...

head goes to the machine shop tomorrow for rockers arms, cam, valve seals and a resurface ;)

and to add to the cop thing, i got pulled over 5 times last week in my e12 cause my license plate was crooked...

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

Byron... I didn't realize it was THAT bad man, thats awful.

I really want to help next week, make sure you give me a call :)

p.s. WTF? [on the Cop's westerly comment] a town that likes to think its a mini New Port with nothing to offer but 1/2 block of shopping and an arbor park... nothing special in my mind.
                Greg

Comment

I freaking hate dick cops.

I like cool cops, i mean, cops are good in general, but when a cop decides he is on a power trip and acts like a dick just because he can, that makes me so mad. Cops like that can be doing useful things like drug busts and such, not harassing car enthusiasts for their own pleasure.

BTW your car needs lowering

Comment

Looks like you need a resonator. A HUGE resonator.

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Gotta love SC, I drove around with a straight pipe S52 for weeks....I even piped a few cops on accident. Never got stopped
                      sigpic

Comment

Gayyyyyyyyyyyyy. That sucks major balls Byron...I guess that's what you guess for posting the thread about Primer the day before it started.

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
                        No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

Overall a super lame experience.....

Damn cops.

All i wanted was to see the camber on my e34....... :(

Comment

That sucks man..

That was fun reading about it though.

I've never seen any cop car pull over anybody in cali, it's always the biker cops that are super dick but apparently the cars are dicks too.

Comment

I drove the car around for like 5 days with no resonator or muffler and never had a problem, even driving by police. I even drove around a few days with only down pipes when I first got it running and never had a problem. Police around here are usually pretty cool, this guy was the first bad one I've dealt with.

To add insult to injury, I found out the alternator on my back-up Saab is on its way out today and the radiator in my 318is popped last time I drove it.
                              Byron
                              Leichtbau

Comment

Working...
                              X