Oz10's Ghetto Fabulous e30 Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oz10's Ghetto Fabulous e30 Build Thread

Alright, well most of you probably don't know me. I'm new to the forum, but not new to the car scene in general. I've been the subaru world for a few years. I've had a 98 Legacy GT, a 99 2.5RS, and a 01 2.5RS. But I was ready for something different and wanted to find something a little cheaper, because school is getting expensive.:(

So I finally bought an e30 a few weeks ago. I found a 1989 325i with a few problems for a damn good price. Here's some pics from the day I got it...

Peep the Grave-Digger status of the front wheel wells! :facepalm: lol

The rear wasn't as bad, but still needed work.

So that's what I had to work with. The paint was in pretty good condition considering the car is 20 years old. The driver's side front fender, front door, and rear fender had all been repainted. The lip spoiler on the back had faded to a gross purple color. The tranny whines pretty bad, the throw out bearing is loud as hell when idling, and third gear is pretty much hit or miss. So I plan to replace the tranny soon.

Here's a quick and dirty list of things that I want/need to fix:
    -paint spoiler
    -shift boot
    -tach not working
    -gauge lights not working
    -interior lights not working
    -dash clock not working
    -trunk/glove department lights not working
    -needs front lip
    -paint faded chrome window trim
    -needs to be lowered with the quickness
    -needs new tranny!!
    -AC needs recharging
    -needs cd player
    -needs rear speakers
    -grip tape pedals
    -low offset wheels
    -pin-stripe needs to go
    -driver fog light is cracked and both don't light up.

Thats all I can think of now.

So I saw the thread about volvo lips and I figured I'd give it a shot. So I went to pull-a-part and found one in decent condition and bought it for 10 bucks. Here are a few pics of my funky fresh fabrication.

There a few holes on the outside of the front bumper that I figured would be a good place to mount it. So I drilled a few holes in the lip.

I test fitted it to see where I would need to trim it. It turns out that little tab on the bottom lines up perfect with the edge of the front bumper. Unfortunately it too a few tries for me to figure that out. :p

Here's my last test fit. I ended up drilling a small hole in the middle of the front of the bumper and the lip because there was no where to mount it up front. I bolted it up there and zip-tied it on the sides.

In the pic I just had it on there loosely. So it fits up a little more snug than that.[hr]
    I got kinda lucky and found some bavarian autosports lowering springs on craigslist the day I bought the car. So I bought them and put them on a few days later.
    Rear springs installed

Front springs installed

Teaser pick from when we finished

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The rears settled nicely as well.

I'm pretty happy with the new ride height. You may have noticed the pin-stripe is gone now too. :D

Here are a few random things I've done.
    The rear spoiler look MUCH better painted black instead of weird reddish/barney purple

A piece of the sound deadening had chipped off and I couldn't believe how heavy it was. So I ended up stripping all the sound deadening from the trunk.
    Before:

After:

When I was done I threw all the sound deadening in a trash bag and weighed it. There was 35 POUNDS worth of sound deadening in my trunk.

I put some grip tape on the pedals. Check out my supa sweet heel-toe downshift strip on the gas pedal. :banana:

I got bored one day and decided to go all martha stewart on my torn up leather shift boot. I went to Joann fabric and bought some fabric for like 3 bucks and whipped out my mom's sewing kit and did work.

I was actually pretty surprised with how well it came out. I figured I might as well try something different. When I get tired of it I can buy a leather one. But it's definitely better than before.

I should have some good pictures up tomorrow.
    Last edited by Oz10; 07-27-2009, 09:32 AM.

Here's an update of what I've fixed so far.

RED = Fixed

-paint spoiler
    -shift boot
    -tach not working
    -dash clock not working
    -needs front lip

-needs new tranny!!
    -AC needs recharging
    -needs cd player
    -needs rear speakers
    -grip tape pedals

-low offset wheels
    -pin-stripe needs to go

Comment

Nice ride, like the wat at sits now after springs sweet. Rear pc. look nice and I will even give it to you on the shifter boot execpt that collor has to go,but I get it car red. Other than that look nice keep us posted on other mods.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

FYI the stuff you took out of the trunk isn't sound deadening material. It is a weight mat to balance the car. These cars are very well balanced so be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Swede-E30 View Post
          FYI the stuff you took out of the trunk isn't sound deadening material. It is a weight mat to balance the car. These cars are very well balanced so be careful.
          :neutral: Damn, aight thanks for the tip.

Comment

You sound so sure of yourself, but have such a low post count I don't know whether or not your full of shit. Lol

Comment

From what I knew it was a truck mat with cover for spare and a mat. are you sure that is to balance?? kind of awkward but who knows?
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Hey I got a tranny but needs to be pulled out if your willing to do that. Its from a Euro 325e so the 2nd gear is longer than the (i). The Euro doesnt mean its different from the US 325e, just to let you know. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by T Verdier View Post
                  You sound so sure of yourself, but have such a low post count I don't know whether or not your full of shit. Lol
                  r3v: because everyone knows the more posts you have, the more you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
                    r3v: because everyone knows the more posts you have, the more you are right.
                    Fuckin right Sally!

Comment

Originally posted by Oz10 View Post
                      Here's an update of what I've fixed so far.

RED = Fixed

-paint spoiler
                      -shift boot
                      -tach not working
                      -dash clock not working
                      -needs front lip

-needs new tranny!!
                      -AC needs recharging
                      -needs cd player
                      -needs rear speakers
                      -grip tape pedals

-low offset wheels
                      -pin-stripe needs to go
                      Man if you got this e30 just a week or two ago you work pretty damn quick. I procrastinate about everything for my car.

Comment

what a difference those springs made! looks like you are off to a great start. don't worry about having removed the trunk tar. the 3 e30s i have had have never had any of it.
                        http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

DAMN that is a super quick build!
                          do work son
                          I need to get on it

www.woranges.tumblr.com

Comment

welcome to the ATL e30 world!

stop by the local on a friday night sometime, we usually have 4+ e30s there!

let me know if you need any help!

Comment

this looks familiar, nice car

Comment

Working...
                              X