Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

18x10 in the rear! Who said it can't be done!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I showed the pictures of this car to a local shop that sells high end wheels to local celebrities and athletes and asked what they could do for me.

Currently I'm running 17x8.5 MVR Magnums with 215/40/17 all around (et38) with the M coupe suspension. The rims tuck perfectly up front but rub in the rear. This makes sense as the M coupe rear suspension kicks things out a bit more.

At first glance I was told that they could solve the rear rubbing problem by rolling out the fenders a little more (I already rolled the inner lip). However, after getting off the rear wheels it was obvious to the shop manager (and myself) that rolling out the fenders would only solve some of the problem. The biggest rubbing was on the upper outer fender (the point where the top curve of the rear fender blends into the body.

He seemed to think that the only way to flare this part out would be to cut it out (Major body work). He also seemed to think that there was no way in hell the red car just had a simple roll job in the rear.

Jon: The upper outer fender curve seems to be reinforced (especially on the gas tank filler tube side). How did you overcome this with the fender roller? Every local shop I talk to is absolutely baffled by the pictures and seems to think there is no way to get the results you did without major bodywork.
    2004 SL600 - Current
    ------------------------
    2006 SL55 AMG - Sold
    2004 M3 SMG - Sold
    1999 540i Sport - Sold :(
    1989 325i coupe- Sold
    1988 325is M50 M-tec - Sold :(

Comment

[OT]
      lukasbmw: Your M Coupe Rear suspension should be sitting in further than the compact/Z3 rears, almost stock infact (Mcoupe have -18mm than the compacts/Z3).

I have 17x8" et38 with 245/40's on the rear using the compact arms and it rubs on the inside
      of the angled part of the guard, that area is double skinned so I'll be dealing to it with a hammer!!!

[/OT]

"Jon:...there is no way to get the results you did without major bodywork."
      292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

Working...
      X