My first e30: 1990 325is bronzit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first e30: 1990 325is bronzit

With that said, hello all! I’ve been on here a bit and read enough posts to know being a noob on here can be dangerous when it comes to making stupid comments and asking those types of questions, but sometime the most obvious things are harder to figure out.

Anyways many of you have already helped me with a few things on my car and you have my thanks. When I purchased the car the guy had a lot of verbal info but some of it was hard to confirm before he flew off to his new job in Singapore.

Anyways here’s my story et cetera, et cetera….

Bought the car in September ’09 thru craigslist. I had read a lot about the bronzit color being hated on but when I saw the car something just told me it was a good place to start. At the time I didn’t need it as a DD and I knew it needed work but it was the best local one available at the time and was basically an impulse purchase. The car came with:

226k estimated at 240k because odometer stopped
    5 speed conversion with 4.10 LSD (late model tranny)
    Vogtland sport springs
    Bilstein sport shocks
    Euro HID smileys
    Clarion headunit with 10" sub
    Momo steering wheel
    MarkD performance chip
    14” refurbished BBS basket weaves & 10mm rear spacers

Pics are old, but the only exterior changes are my paint getting worse, fogs (no more racing mesh) and tires. Notice I have no pics looking down from above where all the clear coat is peeling away.

The list of work it needed quickly grew once I took it to get it smoged. Bam! Exhaust leak, needed new catalytic converter, and more oil leaks than I had originally anticipated. At first I took it to a local BMW mechanic because I had very few contacts but have since started doing a lot of the basic work on my own or doing it with a friend. Here is what I have accomplished so far:

Engine / Drivetrain:
    • New catalytic converter
    • Fixed exhaust leak at manifold
    • Oil filter housing reseal
    • Oil pan gasket
    • Oil Pressure sensor
    • Timing belt, water pump, front engine seals & drive belts
    • Alternator (after the new battery doh!)
    • Fuel filter
    • Clutch slave cylinder
    • Swapped for lower mileage 4.10 LSD (100k)
    • New spark plugs (NKG), distributor cap, rotor and coil (all Bosch) and Ireland Engineering wires
    • Replaced damaged AMF
    • K&N air filter

Suspension / Wheels etc:
    • Pagid Red front and rear break pads
    • BavAuto Polyurethane Front control arm bushings
    • Replaced front passenger wheel hub
    • Falken RT-615 Tires
    • Replaced damaged basket weave

Electrical:
    • New battery
    • Fixed odometer
    • Fog lights
    • Temp sensor
    • Misc switches replaced
    • 3 way Eclipse kick panel speakers
    • Went back to stock rear deck speakers (from clunky 6x9 boxes)
    • Replaced check light panel

Interior:
    • Carpet cleaned (previous owner was a smoker)
    • Leatherette Sport Seats
    • Glove box latch fixed
    • E-brake center console replaced

And the to-do list:

Suspension:
    • Ireland Engineering (or comparable) sway bars & reinforcement kit
    • Ireland Engineering Front strut brace and possibly rear at some point.
    • Replace bushing as needed

Engine:
    • Clean out the engine bay (looks like it may have never of been done)
    • Possible problem with power steering pump but still working
    • AC is acting up, need to address

Electrical:
    • Fog light bulbs
    • Repair service indicator board

Interior / Exterior:
    • Non-cracked dashboard
    • Euro grills
    • Replace pitted windshield
    • Clear coat from a previous paint job is quickly peeling away. When the car gets painted this summer I will do the following:
    • New IS lip (already in my possession)
    • Take the bumper trim and moldings back to black
    • Install and paint lower front valence (bent from curb before purchased, hence no lip either)
    • Repaint blacked out chrome due to half assed job by previous owner

I am leaving many of the cosmetic items till this summer when I have got all anticipated mechanical deficiencies out of the way and have it prepped to be a DD/trackable car.

I’ve really enjoyed working on the car and have become nothing short of obsessed compared with many of the other cars I have owned in the past, even sold my 2008 Acura TL type-S to give me more cash flow.

Cheers!
    Brett k
    Last edited by mammoth_e30; 11-03-2010, 12:39 AM. Reason: no longer such a noob.

Originally posted by mammoth_e30 View Post
    even sold my 2008 Acura TL type-S to give me more cash flow.
    now thats dedication. quite a bit of work, good job.

if you want to keep your speedo working semi correctly, use this for tire sizes.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Looks like a very good platform to start on. As soon as you have maintenance completely aside, definitely consider painting your side & rear lower rocker panels.

It'll freshen up the look of your car.

Comment

the fonts in this thread are trippin' me out. Congrats on having a bronzit with the shiny side still up :)
        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
          now thats dedication. quite a bit of work, good job.

if you want to keep your speedo working semi correctly, use this for tire sizes.
          http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
          Thanks, i like how that tire size calculator shows the width change as well.

Originally posted by Bimmerista View Post
          Looks like a very good platform to start on. As soon as you have maintenance completely aside, definitely consider painting your side & rear lower rocker panels.

It'll freshen up the look of your car.
          Yeah the more I look at things the more i want to paint the whole car, we will see.

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          the fonts in this thread are trippin' me out. Congrats on having a bronzit with the shiny side still up :)
          That font is a bit different as almost every post uses Veranda, I've always liked the arial narrow font. you ever hit up any of the socal meets? I was working with robmespeedy on saturday and somehow your name came up.

Comment

A+ Brett.
            Looking forward to see the end result :up:

& let me know if you want some fog light standard bulbs on the cheap.
            I have a brand new extra pair that I don't need, and my used ones that I won't be needing soon.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Looks good, good sir

Comment

Originally posted by mammoth_e30 View Post
                That font is a bit different as almost every post uses Veranda, I've always liked the arial narrow font. you ever hit up any of the socal meets? I was working with robmespeedy on saturday and somehow your name came up.
                I come out for some of the drives and Dockweiler meets... I'm kind of out of the way, but close to various San Bernadino Mountain Range-based activities if you head out that way at all :)
                cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                  A+ Brett.
                  Looking forward to see the end result :up:

& let me know if you want some fog light standard bulbs on the cheap.
                  I have a brand new extra pair that I don't need, and my used ones that I won't be needing soon.
                  Thanks Abby, not sure if i need the bulbs just yet till i get the lower valence squared up as one of the lights is pointing straight down at the road at the moment. I will however be looking to hit you up on some euro grills when you get the next batch in!

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                  Looks good, good sir
                  Thanks Stephen. I've seen pics of your ride around, i'm definitely a fan of car.

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                  I come out for some of the drives and Dockweiler meets... I'm kind of out of the way, but close to various San Bernadino Mountain Range-based activities if you head out that way at all :)
                  lol that even further out than Riverside damn! I'm still new to these parts myself but if I make it out that way for a scenic drive i'll hit you up. if you end up by the beach, that's where you'll find me :o

Comment

Update time

Kind of funning looking at what i wrote back in March and to see where things have gone. Here is a quick update as it has been a busy summer:

While my roommates were out of town one week i got my run of the garage and replaced the intake manifold gasket etc. as well as cleaned things up a bit with the power washer. Also deleted the cruise control, performed a valve adjustment, replaced a fuel line and other misc maintenance and gaskets.

Next I did a dash swap almost entirely on my own. ugh.

But it was worth it.

And my biggest project to date was a, e30 M3 5 lug swap. Lets just say i learned alot from this.

List of upgrades:
                    25mm master cylinder from an e32 735iL
                    Steel braided brake lines
                    ATE Super blue fluid
                    Yokohama Parada Spec-2's on BBS RC090 aka style 5's
                    M3 Control arm bushing
                    IE adjustable sway bar links
                    Vorshlag camber plates on existing Bilstein sprts and Vogtland springs
                    AKG reinforced front and rear swaybar link tabs
                    Reinforced trailing arm and differential tabs
                    BMP urethane trailing arm bushings (or whoever they buy them from)
                    Powerflex urethane subframe bushings (purple)
                    Z3 finned differential cover
                    New rear wheel bearings

I performed the better part of the removal and installation with my buddy Mo while Robert coordinated getting the welds done, installed the bearings, flanges and some other misc items.

I still need to finish up the brakes, bleed them and adjust the camber plates. Better pisc will be posted soon.

Last edited by mammoth_e30; 10-31-2010, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I'm so jealous right now. So when are we gonnah start your turbo build?
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

^ Ditto.

Great Work Mammoth E30.
                        Einige Autos dürfen nicht runter gehen... einfach weil sie so spezial sind. - Wenn man von BMW's der '70 und '80 Jahre redet.

Comment

Nice NIce NIce NIce NIce NIce NIce.

i like it alot Brett, please say youre bringing this and not the ///M to Dockweiler.
                          sigpic

Comment

that diff cover looks so bad ass.
                            car is gonna look even better once the moldings are all fixed up.

also it looks like the camber plates installed fine so does that mean your front end is good, or will you not know until you get it aligned?
                            Last edited by ThisGuy310; 10-31-2010, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Nigel i would love to do a turbo, def before an m-tech kit. i was thinking IS side skirts at least though. And yes this car is definately coming to Dockweiler. i may attempt to find a second driver for the M3 but who knows.

Moldings will happen before Dockweiler for sure. Camber plates are in good, but I have some serious camber as they are adjusted opposite of what i need. it needed an alignment before this swap and considering I just changed out all the bushings I'm going to get a 4 wheel done just to check things out.

Comment

Working...
                              X