Finally finished my motor swap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally finished my motor swap!

I've been working on my m30 swap for a couple months now. It was my first swap so I had a few issues and rookie mistakes but its finally running and driving as it should. I actually finished it about two weeks ago, but apparently someone forgot to torque the caliper mounting bolts (oops) and this happened:

Took me a couple weeks to get that sorted out and I decided to go from 215/40's to 225/45's. But after some really nice welding, some brake work and some loctite its finally roadworthy.

Last edited by Jb325is; 03-27-2010, 04:24 PM.
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

dope. white late model coupes are the best!
    1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
    2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
    2003 X5 3.0

Comment

Wow, very nice work! How's she run?
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

So tempting to do a B35 swap.
        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Thanks!

It runs pretty good, doesn't make as much power as it should yet but I'm inching closer to installing my MS
          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

m30 goodness crammed into e30 goodness is goodness squared! Stance is perfect too...

1984 Hennarot 325e - 1990 Brillantrot M3 - 1938 Buick Special Business Coupe

Comment

Looks great. M30 looks right at home under there.
              sigpic

Comment

the stance looks great! How much of a difference does the M30 make?
                1997 540i/6 - stock
                1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

Thanks! I thought I liked the stance before with the 215's but I definitely like it more now! Had to roll the fenders a good bit though.

My motor isn't stock so its a pretty gigantic improvement over the m20. However, I am running a 290 cam so its a little peaky compared to a stock motor. Any m30 is going to be a big improvement though
                  - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

looks awesome!
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

Wow!

G.Verelli

Comment

Sweet! Looks good!
                        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

doh, that's my nightmare. I'm paranoid that I would forget to tighten a bolt and something would come flying off. Scary, glad to see you were able to fix it.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by browntown View Post
                            doh, that's my nightmare. I'm paranoid that I would forget to tighten a bolt and something would come flying off. Scary, glad to see you were able to fix it.
                            Yeah I definitely learned my lesson. Me and a friend were rushing because at the last minute I decided to pull the motor out for a 3rd time and move it back an inch. We did it in 3 hours by dropping the subframe, but in the rush I must've forgotten to torque the bolts. It took a week of driving for one to fall out, and it sure was ugly when it did. Luckily I had already been engine braking when the wheel locked up
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

What wheels are those? Size, offset?
                              "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Comment

Working...
                              X