Going away from my roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going away from my roots

After 2 different E36 builds over the course of almost a decade of BMW ownership I lucked into an E30. Luck struck twice since my first E30 was stupid cheap(free) but I simply wasn't in the place to 'build' a car. Well this time when I found a 2 owner California car I jumped on it. So... onto the E30 action!

*Warning* Bunch of build photos in thread. If you want to fast forward the pics from today in a 'done' state are at the end. There are some fun pictures and commentary along the way and I put a lot of time/work into the build so far so if you have the time... enjoy the read/photos.

Massive Build Thread if you want to do LOTS of reading:

Seller Photos:

1988 325iS. 145,000 miles. Clean. Low Miles. I had to have it. Off to Mississippi in the vert(now gone). Quick day trip and we brought here home... The plan was a 24v swap and basic shocks/springs, plastic bumpers and some euro goodies. I started stockpiling parts to get this thing up to speed:

Decided that it would be good to prep for audio install and get those parts:

Fun parts started to arrive and I picked up a local deal that was unplanned(this is where the budget was adjusted and dumb stuff started happening). I realized the IE3 and Bilstein Sport just wasn't going to work for me. Handled/felt great but the front just wasn't at the proper height. Needed more spring rate as well...

And the motor came out... and more parts...

Local 24v swap heros from here on the forums really helped with the actual swap. With work and my limited garage space and horrible driveway they knocked out the physical swap... progress photos...

Enjoy the time lapse...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And she runs... and drives... And what would be the BEST thing to do? Drive her home and rip the whole thing apart right? Totally... best idea ever. So we did work. Also all trim was removed for cleaning... 48 hour this thing must get back together:

It all got back together. And all was well. Except I sold my suspension so it sits and waits. More things get cleaned. Awaiting the new suspension. Did some minor upgrades:

Since the car was down waiting on suspension I dove into the Audio:

Comment

Cleaned/Painted to make it look nice!

And we have goodies!

And we start the install...

Final cleaning...

So it is together and 'finished' so I took it on a break in run...

BMW, E30, US129, Blood, Mountain, Wolf, Pen, Gap, 325is, M52, 24v, Swap, Ground, Control, automobiles, high speed, cars, extreme driving

But she really isn't finished yet... MORE goodies and the final touch:

Comment

And there you have it. Finished. It runs great. It drives great. It stops great. It slides great. It is just so much damn fun. The final touches are still in the works. A couple more things to make it a little more different and a little personal input. Also the real kicker will come when a supercharger kit deal pops up... :shifty

For now... enjoy! I know I am! Before someone says anything. The front is down a LITTLE bit from the first set of photos. 2nd set shows current height. Total mileage is ~200 miles. Waiting for them to settle. Then they will come down just a little more.

Basic Rundown:

1988 325iS
        OBD1 M52 - TRM 93 Octane Tune
        ZF320 Trans
        UUC flywheel/segmented Kevlar Clutch
        Cardinal Interior Swap
        Ground Control(550/750) w/ Koni Race Inserts/Shocks
        Rota Slipstream 16x8 et20 w/ 225.45.16 KDW2
        UUC Bike Brake Kit

Comment

iLike

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
          RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

that is sooo sick!!! :)

Comment

Great pictures, awesome build!
              1985 BMW 325e
              1997 BMW M3/4/5
              2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

I like too, and I know you have a plan with the bumpers, but I think blacked out plastics with euro trim would look awesome.

Comment

Thanks guys. I want to try something with the diving boards. If it sucks... plastics.

Comment

Ugh thats just great man. I love everything about this car! Just spray the doors to match those beautiful seats and it'll be 100%.
                    E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

I love you're car, what shifter are you running and where did you get those boots?

070 by wonderwilley, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitude View Post
                        I love you're car, what shifter are you running and where did you get those boots?
                        Z4 2.5 w/ ZHP Knob.

Matt-B on the forums makes them :)

Originally posted by bimma360 View Post
                        Ugh thats just great man. I love everything about this car! Just spray the doors to match those beautiful seats and it'll be 100%.

Little different... black cards with MTech inserts?

Comment

Love it. Not feeling the headunit, but that's irrelevant.
                          Everything looks sick.

Don't get Euro bumpers, these have more attitude and fit the car well.

edit: How do you like the chosen spring rate? Specifically.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                            Z4 2.5 w/ ZHP Knob.

Matt-B on the forums makes them :)

Little different... black cards with MTech inserts?
                            I have that same shifter setup, just with a stock leather knob. I love the z4 shifter!

As far as the cards go, I love that idea. If the cloth is similar or the same as your shift boot, that will go very well with the seats. Black seat back panels would match the doors nicely as well, but def not necessary and more of a personal preference thing. I cant wait to see it!

Dave
                            E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

What kind of exhaust are you running. It looks tits

Comment

Working...
                              X