Car of the month - July 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car of the month - July 2010

For the month of July we have Dinanm3atl and his 1988 325iS. A very clean e30 thats still rockin the diving board bumpers 8)

Factory options: 1988 325iS - LSD - 13 Button OBC - Sport Package

Color: Lachssilber

Interior color: Cardinal/Grey

Engine modifications: OBD1 M52B28 - TRM 93 Octane Tune - M50 manifold

Exhaust: Stainless eBay SS Reps into custom 2 into 1. Single 2.5" into Magnaflow Performance Cat into Stainless Universal muffler. Dual 3" Single Walled Slant Tips

Transmission: 1998 E36 M3 ZF320 w/ UUC LTW Flywheel + Segmented Kevlar Clutch - UUC Stainless Clutch Line - 2.5 Z4 OEM+ Short Shifter(Full rebuild)

Differential: 1987 535iS 3.25 LSD w/ Swapped Cover/Flanges

Suspension: Ground Control shortened housings - Ground Control Koni Race Shocks/Inserts - Ground Control Hybrid Caster/Camber Plates - Ground Control Rear Shock Mounts - Ireland Front/Rear Stress Brace - ST Front 21mm Sway - Irelane Subframe & RTABs in Urethane - AKG Centered Urethane Control Arm Bushings - OEM Front Suspension/Front End Rebuild - E36 328i Steering Rack

Wheels: 16x8 et20 Rota Slipstreams Full Polish - 225.45.16 BFGoodrich KDW2

Brakes: UUC Direct Fit Front Big Brake Kit w/ Hawk DTC30 Pads - Rear ATE Blanks w/ Hawk HP+ - UUC Stainless Lines Front/Rear

Exterior modifications: MTech 1 Rear Spoiler(E30 Style) - Euro Grills - Shadow Grill - Jon Beales Front Plate Filler - DDM 55W 5K HID - RyanG Splitter

Interior modifications: Cardinal Sport Seats - MTech Shift & E-Brake boots - ZHP 5sp Knob - Euro Storage Tray - Guten parts Cluster Rings & Alpina Tach Strip - Personal Grinta Leather w/ Red Stitching Wheel(350mm) - Kenwood/Zapco/Alumapro/Blaupunkt Stereo

Story behind the car:

I am honestly an E36 Guy. My first E30 I wasn't in a place to truly put money into it and enjoy it like they should be enjoyed. It turned into a nice sale but I just didn't have the 'e30 guy' take on the BMW E30.

Post E36 M3 track car sale. Post 328iC sale... I had my Jeep Wrangler and wanted to do an E30. An E30 convertible. Finding one that was decent that was a small bumper proved to be a difficult challenge at the time. I was always searching for all E30s. I stumble onto a 1988 325iS in MS. It had been listed at 2500 dollars. 2 owner California/Garaged car. Thinning the fleet. Everything works. Cold A/C. 5sp. Excited I call. Work a deal. That weekend I am driving it home!

Now the wheels start turning. Having sold my track car I haven't seen a performance driving event in months. Auto-X in 7 years. Let's build a daily car that can easily tear up the track. I shopped and it seemed like a good plan was a turbo m20. After having it for a month or two my dislike of the M20 came back. All the little quirks. Random hard starts. Valve Adjustments. Timing Belts. Noisy. Idle problems.

24V... the project starts. During that time I amassed parts. Suspension. Brakes. Interior wasn't planned but for the price paid it would be dumb to pass it up. Stereo went in. Everything came together finally!

Loving the car to death now. With the current tire choice the car is a bit of handful pushing it fully but man is it fun! Realize now the fun of the E30... it just needs a little more power and a proper suspension! Auto-X is crossed off the list. Camping/Dragon is scratched off the list. Track event later this year! Cannot wait! It feels as fast as my E36 M3. It doesn't handle as nicely and is not as planted but it is older... the fun factor is higher though!

Enjoy some photos and videos:

Auto-X:
    4 runs of Auto-X.1988 325iSM52B28ZF320 Trans3.25SGround Control w/ Koni RaceSuspension Technique Front Sway Bar(Stock Rear)UUC Big BrakeBFGoodrich KDW2 225.4...

Twisty Mountain Roads:
    BMW, E30, US129, Blood, Mountain, Wolf, Pen, Gap, 325is, M52, 24v, Swap, Ground, Control, automobiles, high speed, cars, extreme driving

Photos:

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

sweet car, feels like it was just yesterday that the build thread began.

i wasnt expecting for the july feature to come so...soon lol no offense
    Strategic Alpine Command:...sig loading

Comment

That thing makes diving boards look good!

i cant believe what I'm saying.

GOOD JOB!

Comment

congrats! well deserved
        sigpic

Comment

Best looking db car I've seen! Loved the untucked look too!

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
          my feedback thread

Comment

Looking very sweet, all but knob sorry.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Love the '88! I'm really looking forward to the COTM threads each month! Awesome stuff!
              Originally posted by Matt-B
              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

cool interior, awesome plate

Comment

Beautiful. I am a fan of the DBs.
                  I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Thanks guys :)

Comment

hawt
                      Tim.

Comment

:up::up: Congrats!
                        sigpic

Comment

This car was setting the pace at deals gap, great car all around!
                          1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Grats Halston!

Comment

Love the diving boards on the late model valence. And those breaks just look fantastic.
                              Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                              Do you feel like something is trying to penetrate your butthole?

Comment

Working...
                              X