Car didn't make it...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car didn't make it...?

Drove my car to the referee today everything's been fine and was working good when I was driving on my way up here. Didn't overheat fan turned on when it needed to. But when I got to the station and they started the process it started to leak coolant and smoke from the radiator cap and it started to overheat. The reservoir was boiling. He asked me if I have a fan switch for my electric fan I told him that it was connected to the aux fan so it turned on when the aux fan turns on. He said that during the whole procress, which he only did partial of the first test, the fans never turn on... So I've checked the cluster and all the gauge are not working now and the fans won't turn on neither when I push the ac button inside. Now I'm stuck here at the station letting the car cool down :( ... Anyone know what could of went wrong?

Bad luck, I assume
    Originally posted by audiquattrot
    bimmers b4 b*tches....remember that.
    1990 Alpinweiss 325i - secret 500whp build
    2000 Audi S4 B5 Laser Red
    1990 Nissan 240sx - Drift Missile
    2006 CBR600RR

Comment

Originally posted by 619E30 View Post
      Bad luck, I assume

Shut up.

And you said it doesn't come on when you push the a/c button? My money is on a grounding issue.

Comment

Nvm found the problem
        One of the wires from the fan was touching the radiator and it blew up the fuse.

Anyone know the fuse number for it?

Comment

Oh didn't notice I posted in the members section meant to post on 24v swap but I'm using my phone... Can mods please move....

I took off the melted fuse but it seems that there's still plastic melted inside so it still won't work after replacing it with a new fuse

Comment

Open the fuse box, and pull out the two connectors from the back side, then chip away at the goo fuse mess. You could pull the wires and connectors through holes if the box is too damaged to hold the fuse.

Comment

Looks like it blew from the inside to... Idk if you can see it put the third little solder is blown too... That's why the fuse don't work

How can I run the e fan temporarily so I can get home?

Comment

Run a wire from the fan to the main relay and plug the wire into the red/white wire on the main relays base. Then plug the main relay on top of it. That's how I've always had my fan wired lol.

Comment

Cool thanks, lol
                  I got the fuse box to work and was able to get home. On my way home though, it was overheating even with the fans on, so I had to turn on/off the car until I got to a gas station. It occured to me to bleed the cooling system, so i did, and it stopped overheating, lol.

Now I'm going to need to go get a new fuse box and make another appointment with the ref and see what goes wrong next :)

Comment

Man, a yellow blob. Must have been a china 20A. Harbor freight had a recall for that.

It may be wiser to seek competent repair of the fusebox, as IIRC replacing it is not easy....
                    -Dave
                    2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

It's not bad if you have them side by side, and do one pin at a time, no harder than a jigsaw puzzle.

Comment

Update:
                        I'm still having problem with the fuse #3. It keeps shorting out. After I replaced the melted fuse (pic on post #4), fuse was good until a 2 weeks ago. Here's a pic of the fuse now.

I may need a new fuse box, lol

Comment

Holy crap. Check the hot side for damage on the wire. If it's got an intermittent short to ground on the power side it will keep blowing fuses randomly. Yes you may need a new fuse box.

Comment

That looks terrible man. I would help except I live a hundred miles + away
                            world renown Harry Potter expert
                            sigpic

Comment

never seen a fuse do that..
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X