Turbo M42. The journey to 300+whp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
    Have you thought about a COP? So you could get rid of those coils.
    Cop kit is useless for me as soon as I get my standalone stuff. the kit comes with its own ignition coils.

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
    COP is nice, but for $200 with much of a strict budget, it's kind of an unnecessary expense. It doesn't really help performance at all.

DJ, are you getting enough cooling capacity with that fan, without a shroud? I'm trying to make a lower-profile shroud and mounts for my electric fan, but it would be a lot cleaner if I can just mount it like that...

BTW I have a good e36 rack. PM me if you are interested. $125 + shipping, obo.
    Im getting so much cooling that most of the time i drive around with the fan off. ahaha. Its a 2100 cfm and pulls a TON of air.
    When I deleted the fan clutch I thought I may have issues, but I havent.

I love the look with no shroud so I went for it. :)

pm sent on the rack!

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
      COP is nice, but for $200 with much of a strict budget, it's kind of an unnecessary expense. It doesn't really help performance at all.

DJ, are you getting enough cooling capacity with that fan, without a shroud? I'm trying to make a lower-profile shroud and mounts for my electric fan, but it would be a lot cleaner if I can just mount it like that..

you can modify an m20 shroud to get that oem look.

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
      Cop kit is useless for me as soon as I get my standalone stuff. the kit comes with its own ignition coils.
      Why not use MS. Its cheap and easy. Also how much are you going to charge me for those wheels?
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
        Why not use MS. Its cheap and easy. Also how much are you going to charge me for those wheels?

Funny you ask, recently I have been toying with the idea of going pnp ms. I may change my mind but I dont have any experience tuning. I know some basic stuff in that area but I dont really feel confident enough to tune it to get the results I want. I want a reliable 300 hp. I need to do alot more research. maybe some ms guys can give me the lowdown.

I was not aware you wanted my wheels lol. As soon as I get another set of e38 fives I may sell these. :) will see.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

pnp makes it too easy.

Comment

whats required? does it piggyback off my motronic or is it a full standalone?

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Full standalone, these guys built mine. They even have a turbo m42 car they can give you timing maps off of.

Comment

heres what im dealing with.

Full electromotive standalone. $1250 (wiring harness incuded)
                85lb high imp injectors $300
                Afx wideband 400
                Intake temp sensor 100
                dyno time... give or take 500

tell me full Ms is cheaper than all this shit and I can reach my 300 crank hp goals

I like the tuna here.

Comment

yeah duh.

1000 for PNP MS and an AEM UEGO wideband. Done.

Then add in your fancy injectors and dyno time.

Comment

MS is by far one of the best DIY tuning softwares and the cheapest. That's why everyone uses it. That or you can get a hold of VEMS. E30pq is selling a Haltech on this board, give him a pm. His m42 made 300hp to the wheels
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                    VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Whered you move the O2 sensor to? It wouldnt have lasted long where you put it originally.

Check Us out on Facebook
                      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                      Full Product Line Tuning
                      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by trackjunkie21 View Post
                        MS is by far one of the best DIY tuning softwares and the cheapest. That's why everyone uses it. That or you can get a hold of VEMS. E30pq is selling a Haltech on this board, give him a pm. His m42 made 300hp to the wheels
                        We use Tec3R for our M42 turbo club race car.

The Haltech was from a car that we were parting out. Not sure what HP you can get from the Haltech.

Comment

ive done some more searching and sent an email to dynotech. I think I may end up going full Ms. Its cheaper and from what I understand fairly easy with the pnp system.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

I'm going to be a MS reseller and will offer diyPNP units assembled by electrical engineering students in their senior year. I'm also opening an account with innovate since tunerstudio is set up to work perfectly with their wideband sensor. Also i'd recommend dyno tuning at RMS. He hooks e30 guys up.

diyPNP retails for $430 (assembly will probably be about $70)
                            extra coil drivers are like $13 a piece so you can run coil on plug
                            IAT sensor $30
                            LC-1 $166 (lowest price advertised on ebay)

So $1035 with injectors and wideband assembled
                            Last edited by einstein57; 12-11-2010, 10:35 PM.

www.gecoils.com
                            My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Car looks great! Jst read the whole thread! Gl with everything!

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                                extra coil drivers are like $13 a piece so you can run coil on plug
                                You can't run COP out of the box with MS? I thought it had 4 drivers? Thought only the 6 and 8 cylinder guys had to do an add on board with additional drivers?

At any rate... I am running the PNP MS unit that DTM makes. Actually it's Danny's old unit. I can highly recommend it although I would get at least MS2 if I were you... MS3 would be even better.

I didn't know anything about tuning either but with a base map and some long hours of reading/tuning you'd be surprised what you can accomplish. Don't have any dyno numbers yet and I still have one irritating problem to iron out, but I'm fairly certain I'm over 200rwhp with my m42 in my daily driver.
                                "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                                -----------------------------------------
                                91 318is Turbo Sold
                                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                                06 4.8is X5
                                06 Mtec X3
                                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                                92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                                90 325i Sold
                                97 328is Sold
                                01 323ci Sold
                                92 325i Sold
                                83 528e Totaled