This is my Vert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my Vert

Long ago, around August 2003, my dad brought home a new E30 convertible. It was white and had 120,000 miles on it. Six years later, he sold it with a broken heater core, broken odometer (broke at 215k, driven until around 250k,) and a rust problem for $500 less than he paid for it.

At the time, I was driving around in a 1995 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon, which suited me fine at 150k miles. However, after the BMW left, "The Wagen" got old fast. Like downright geriatric. Parts began falling off and it became unsuitable for my needs.

I began to look for a replacement car in February of 2010. I looked at nearly every car sold in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Finally, I found it. A 1992 vert, finished in Sterlingsilber with only 89,000 miles. Never seen snow. The only downside was the fact that it was an automatic. Nevertheless, I sold the wagen and bought the vert.

I'll never forget, I was nearly home and I had stopped at a stoplight. The driver of the Subaru next to me called out to me. "Nice car," he said, "Can I buy it from you?" After explaining that I had just bought the car two hours prior, I pulled away with an unbreakable smile on my face. I had a nice car to call my own! So much better than the car it replaced! It was a great car to enjoy the end of the summer with, and I had the top down nearly all of the time. However, this fun was short-lived, and one morning everything changed.

I was driving to school one morning at the end of October when I approached a drawbridge in the upright position. I, along with many other cars, turned around and continued in the other direction. However, after I had turned around, I had not traveled thirty feet when an individual in an Infiniti G35 made a left turn into the side of my pride and joy. The results were saddening.

What made things worse was that the driver fled the scene as I tried unsuccessfully to open the driver's side door. After giving up, I climbed over the seats to exit and he drove right by me. My insurance company would not cover the damages because of a limited collision plan.

Faced with a repair bill for nearly $5,000 for a car that I had bought for $3,350 six weeks prior, I felt dejected. However, through sheer luck, the innards of the driver's side door were not harmed, saving us nearly $1,000. So the car went in to the shop in November. On December 13th, exactly three months after bringing my car home, I got my car back. It looked great, nearly unnoticable that the car had been wrecked so severely.

However, the '325i' badge was in the wrong place. For me, that detracted from the entire repair job. My father tried to tell me that it would be fine, but I was dejected.

Shortly after, I posted a thread on Bimmerfest asking where the badge should be. Several members suggested that I debadge it, which is what I did.

Yes, I know, the bumper sticker detracts from the car, but I thought it was very funny. I thought that the debadge made the car look so much cleaner and better, which brightened up my mood considerably. To top it off, we found the guy who hit the car!

The real fun will be what's hidden under the bumper cover, as those cars performed atrociously in low speed front-end collisions. The insurance check arrived on Christmas Eve. I suppose it was all a blessing in disguise, as the insurance company would've totaled the car because of this, so this way, I get both a fixed car and a clean title!

So the next thing that I want to do is to get smoked turn signals for the front, and possibly wire in LEDs similar to another E30 that I saw here on R3V.

I hope you have enjoyed my photoreel, and I want to keep everyone updated as I work to make my E30 a reflection of me.

Damn, sorry to see that. So what happend to the guy you found that hit you? Call the cops?

Comment

Yeah, we called the cops, but the most that will probably happen to him is that he'll get a ticket for leaving the scene. It's not the end of the world, though, as karma came back to bite him and we got our insurance money.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninety Two View Post
        However, the '325i' badge was in the wrong place. For me, that detracted from the entire repair job. My father tried to tell me that it would be fine, but I was dejected.

Just kidding, grow a pair.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
        RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

You better try legal action against them or something

At least egg there house or something haha jk

Comment

Karma is what led you to find his car. Go for it. :D
            88 M3 Diamantschwarz
            89 M3 Zinnoberrot
            56 Isetta

LIKE ARCHIE'S on Facebook!
            www.facebook.com/archiesicecream

Comment

Kill the guy. Then steal his life insurance money from his family and trick your e30 :)

Comment

Why was the 325i badge in the wrong place if you got hit in the door? I is confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan12 View Post
                  Kill the guy. Then steal his life insurance money from his family and trick your e30 :)
                  this is sig worthy.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                  1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                  2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Good to see you fixed the car. So much potential! Any plans for it?

COTM

Comment

As far as the badge is concerned, I am very observant about little details and it just looked off. Too low or something, so it was more of an excuse to debadge than anything. The shop moved it originally because they did a very thorough blending job when they painted the door (it was Boston Green originally) and the quarter panel (shipped from Munich) so that it wouldn't be so obvious when the paint ages.

For plans, I want to add headrests in the rear, as well as fix the unseaming that happens with every vert that I've seen. I also want to find a nice Husco armrest and pop it in. I also want to paint my basketweaves because the bottlecaps came out so nicely when painted (they didn't look very pretty when I got them, but then again, they were $10 each.) I'm also debating whether or not to find an iS lip spoiler and a decklid spoiler.

Comment

Rear headrest are where it at! Slick deaklid if you can find one. Cabrios look much better that way. I only wish I could find a Glacier for mine.

COTM

Comment

can dig.
                          1992 BMW 325iC <3

Comment

I probably would of bashed that guys car with a bat after I got the insurance money how can people just take off after an accident? I would understand if it was some guy driving a 1980 toyota pick up with no papers and no insurance wanting to flee the scene(not saying it still makes. It right) but if ur driving a G35 pay up homie! Anyway sorry for that glad to see u got it fixed and everything worked out. Btw obama sticker has to go!!! Its taking the attention of the nice car.
                            sigpic(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Originally posted by NuthinFancy View Post
                              Btw obama sticker has to go!!! Its taking the attention of the nice car.
                              I just wouldn't want to have his name on my property, musc less my car....
                              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
                              X