Drug home an ix, on the fence of parting or fixing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drug home an ix, on the fence of parting or fixing

Just drug this car home yesterday...... what do you guys think. I was thinking of parting it only because mice got to the wiring in a big way. I was nervous too but i stuck a battery in it last night and it didn't smoke! most of the lights worked also wich is a good sign. most of the wiring issues were on the engine harness which I have. It has a crack free dash and pretty darn clean tan sport seats. M-Tech wheel too boot!
    Attached Files
    Dave @ Bimmerbuddies
    Contact Bimmerbuddies for all your Parts and service needs
    M20,24V,5spdSwap,Weld,Fab,Tow,Buy/Sell/Trade
    Bimmerbuddies LLC
    717-388-1256
    2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057

*Ask about discounts for R3V members*

fix it!! not many of them left imo. especially 2 doors.

Comment

I have a harness from my 90 325i, would that work in this 88 ix?
      Dave @ Bimmerbuddies
      Bimmerbuddies LLC
      717-388-1256

Comment

It looks like its going to be a lot of work to get that going but in PA I know the Ix would come in handy in the winter months, but if u do decide to part it out I call dibs on the headlights. =)
        sigpic(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Auto or manual. Interested in selling as is?
          sigpic
          New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
          %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by 20gmr View Post
            I have a harness from my 90 325i, would that work in this 88 ix?
            no

unfortunately he needs a harness from a 325ix

looks like it might clean up a bit though, that red color is a single stage - give it a good cut and polish and then see what you think.

all 88's are manual
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

at first -
              I thought this thread was going to be about a guy who used an ix as a home for all his drugs.
              -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

I'd be interested in selling it as it sits. I am keeping a few things off of it for my car tho. Give me a call if your interested 717 554 1032 dave.

It's really not to bad. I have counted a total of 10 wires that need repaired thanks too Mickey. All the exterior lights work and the car cranks over. Fuel smells pretty old but doesn't seem to have varnished to bad yet, could probly just drain it. The interior is VERY clean. One rust whole on the driver fender, and minimal rust in the rear vallance.
                Dave @ Bimmerbuddies
                Bimmerbuddies LLC
                717-388-1256

Comment

I’d be on the fence too.
                  On one hand – an ix coupe is just cool and hard-to-come-by. + ‘88s are ideal for bumper swaps.

On the other hand – refurbishing an ix would be intimidating. Certain drive line parts are expensive – and suspension options are limited (should you wish to lower it).
                  -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

I'd say do it -- the refurb. I could only wish for an iX as they are stupid hard to find here in socal in any working order. Usually diffs are blown out and car is ratted out to death.

Refresh it. Make 'er beautiful again. Custom suspensions can be done up for a small amount more than regular coilovers, so it shouldn't scare you away from lowering the car.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

yeah, you can pretty much do any suspension on an ix that you can do on a standard E30. there's less choice of drop-in springs, but there really aren't that many fantastic drop in springs anyway, they're mostly for looks.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Well I have awd car so I wouldn't fix it for myself, it would be more to just to keep another 30 on the road! We shall see.... Im outside in 40 degree weather hand washing it right now so stay tuned for more pics!
                        Dave @ Bimmerbuddies
                        Bimmerbuddies LLC
                        717-388-1256

Comment

Originally posted by 20gmr View Post
                          Well I have awd car so I wouldn't fix it for myself, it would be more to just to keep another 30 on the road! We shall see.... Im outside in 40 degree weather hand washing it right now so stay tuned for more pics!
                          Well than your objective is clear...whichever makes you the most profit. If you part it, you will help keep other IX's runing, so the benefit to the community is the same whether you choose to part it or fix it up.

It all comes down to maximum profit..

Comment

cut it up and scrap it

Comment

Fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X