Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cosmoline exorcism (update: valve cover done)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cosmoline exorcism (update: valve cover done)

I found a crack in my valve cover several months ago, and I had it siliconed to get by until I picked up a new one. Finally got around to getting a spare valve cover this weekend (already bead blasted and super clean, thanks ZiMMie!), and started painting it this afternoon. It's looking fucking awesome, but I'll post pics of that when it's done.

I realized that the cosmoline-drenched intake manifold is going to look completely retarded next to a beautiful new valve cover, so I got to cleaning it. 45 minutes later (in 90+ degree heat...ugh) and I'm 95% done; it looks much better. I just sprayed on Simple Green Automotive, let it sit for an hour or two, then attacked the metal with a steel brush, constantly spraying to keep the surface wet. Overall I'm happy, I didn't think I could get nearly this much off without removing the manifold and dunking it in a bathtub of degreaser for a day.

For reference, the manifold looked identical to the valve cover before I started. :shock:

Wow, nicely done. I'm gonna have to pick up a bottle of Simple Green I see...

Comment

I need to paint my intake manifold silver after I clean it up like yours. I'm half way there...

Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Nice! I went a little different with the valve cover; I really like the krinkle/textured finish, and I've seen red, but I went with "Cast Iron", a very dark gray. To me the black only makes the black plastic and rubber in the engine bay look even more faded, and I really like the gunmetal tone. It's curing now, I'll sand off the lettering on Thursday and mount it.

Comment

Awesome, that should look great. I want to see the finished product.
          Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

copy cat.

Comment

You did that in this heat? Mad man.

Sold it.

Comment

I spent like 4 hours cleaning mine with every chemical I could find, including that expensive shit from Zymol that's made for it. it's better than it was, but it's still not quite all off. very frustrating, even with it out of the car!
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I can get some of it off. I have yet to get it off from the oil filter cover and lower timing case cover.
                  The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

hey man,

good stuff, ur working ur lazy ass.
                    wait till the sun goes down next time. or do it in some shade.

oh ya and get off ur ass and buff the oxidation off ur car...or i might have to do it for u

Comment

Why is cosmoline on there in the first place? I heard something about shippning them?

I bombed Korea every night.

Comment

I <3 simple green.

It changed my engine bay from a typical 15yr old car's to this....

'05 E46 M3 Imolarot/Cinnamon - CURRENT
                        '98 E36 M3 Estorilblau/Dove - SOLD
                        '90 E30 M3 Brilliantrot/Black - SOLD
                        SRS BSNS Motorsports - 24hrs of LeMons Racer

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                          I spent like 4 hours cleaning mine with every chemical I could find, including that expensive shit from Zymol that's made for it. it's better than it was, but it's still not quite all off. very frustrating, even with it out of the car!
                          Don't be a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles, wirebrush+drill=clean valve cover.

Comment

Castrol Superclean did the same for me.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Howcome both E30s that i've come into possesion of never needed to have cosmoline removed? I know for sure one has never been cleaned, yet it had no cosmoline on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X