No announcement yet.

MyE28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So last night I had the night off, and since I work nights I don't have a whole bunch to do besides watch top gear or futz around in the garage.

I really should have replaced the brakes in the Jeep, but what fun is that? Instead I decided to swap out the rear muffler on the M5! About a month ago I picked up a brand new Sterbo Exhaust from a guy in Denver. He's building a turbocharged S50 swapped E28 monster and had originally bought the Sterbo for that car but ended up doing a custom 3" turbo back instead.

I'm not super exited about the fit of the exhaust... The way the E28 hangs the muffler is a bit dumb, and makes the thing hang a bit crooked. Plus the tips stick out too far like a 70's italian car with a ansa sport muffler system. I'd like it if the tips were about 2 inches shorter overall, and suck into the body about an inch. I feel that I should only see the tips poking out from under the body, not the welds and original piping. Later on, I might have the tips shortened, and the exhaust powdercoated black to mimic the original mufflers that came on the M5... But for now it will be quite enjoyable. It has a nice bark and gives the car a bit more "european exotic" sound over the stock muffler.

Here are a few pics of the exhaust all pretty on the garage floor, and then a video I took with the GoPro HD I recently aquired:D

My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Yes, shorten the tips. They stick out way too far. Sounds great though!
      1989 US E30 Cammed S52
      Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

Comment

Looks awesome! Sounds even better!
        -Erik
        '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
        I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
          Looks awesome! Sounds even better!
          This and that.

This car is one of the classiest and mean cars ever.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
            This and that.

This car is one of the classiest and mean cars ever.
            What he said. Very nice.

I miss my e28... will get another someday, when I have the garage space for the extra toys.
            "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
            -----------------------------------------
            91 318is Turbo Sold
            87 325 Daily driver Sold
            06 4.8is X5
            06 Mtec X3
            05 4.4i X5 Sold
            92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
            90 325i Sold
            97 328is Sold
            01 323ci Sold
            92 325i Sold
            83 528e Totaled
            98 328i Sold
            93 325i Sold

Comment

Ahhh I love E28! Looks great man! Those wheels flow nicely with it!
              '91 318is

Comment

Holy Jeebus!
                That sounds awesome!
                sigpic

Comment

I love your M5. I was looking at it there, seriously contemplating how bad I want one like that, sitting there on staggered 18" style 5s with the right euro parts...

Suddenly I realized I have an M5. It's just not as cool as yours. Yep, mine may be faster, but yours is cooler.

Dave
                  Present BMWs: E30 325iC, E39 540 Sport 6-speed, E60 M5 SMG

E30 Cabrio Turbo Project

Comment

This thing is downright beautiful
                    THE ACURA TL PROJECT

BUFF ENUFF? STYLE.OVER.COMFORT

DURTY 3ER///STYLE.OVER.COMFORT

Comment

nice buy! how'd it get black interior? I thought they were all black on tan....

Comment

Love this car!
                        GRIPPY'S*GARAGE

Comment

Originally posted by gte175x View Post
                          Not all. A few were black/black, at least in the US.
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by gte175x View Post
                            of the 1,700ish built, 30 near the end of production had black interior!

Thanks for the comments guys, It's a fun car to have! Taking it out right now for a mountain road drive.

Comment

Bumping this thread a bit. The M5 has been a lot of fun in the last year of ownership, but it has had a few little problems...

-It has the classic brake shimmey
                              -It has the classic brake bomb symptoms
                              -It has a bit of a power steering leak
                              -I think it also has a bit of a oil leak.

Not that surprising since it just passed 211,000 miles, in fact I think it's running exceptionally well overall for a high performance car of it's age!

Last weekend I took it up to High Planes Raceway, and it was a hoot to bash around the track!

Comment

I've spent all winter pondering whether to buy one of these. An acquaintance in Minnesota has one for sale, but since I already have two cars full in the garage and a truck that gets parked in the street, it means I'd have to sell my E30 that I've just got pretty much finished and have a long relationship with. I maybe should go up and drive the thing first before I pass on it though? Maybe I'm avoiding being lured in by the sweet sound of that engine.

Anyway, how does driving the E28 M5 on the track compare to an E30? I've been told by one friend that they're amazingly tossable, but have a hard time believing that.

Comment

Working...
                                X