No announcement yet.

Engine fire aftermath...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading home from my last appointment in about an hour and I'll get started. Problem is it's freezing and I have no way to get the car into the garage. Thinking about using the starter with the car in gear to "bump" it up the driveway.

Comment

I've used a come-along to drag inoperable cars into my garage. I keep on reminding myself to use a hilti gun to put a stout D ring in the garage floor for just those occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by browntown View Post
        I've used a come-along to drag inoperable cars into my garage. I keep on reminding myself to use a hilti gun to put a stout D ring in the garage floor for just those occasions.
        Wish I could. We currently rent but we are putting an offer an a house tomorrow with a 3 car garage. This will definitely go on the list!

Comment

damm... that sucks man, good luck!
          no more boosted m20, 91 318i...

Comment

damn it sucks but at least your saving it...congrats on the awesome wife...i feel ill be foreveralone since there is not too many cool car chicks out there..

and love the lotus..

Comment

Man I used to have a fire extinguisher in each of my busses due to their ability to ignite at any moment (-: I'm gonna get one for the e30 now.

Comment

I have a schwarz hood in central jersey, if you are still around this way.
                sigpic

Originally Said by Bob Marley
                "BMW make pure trouble!"

Comment

Originally posted by bimmershark View Post
                  i feel ill be foreveralone since there is not too many cool car chicks out there...
                  they are out there ;-)
                  '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

wow thats crazy Patrick. Glad to hear you are okay. On the bright side you get to do a M50 swap :)

Comment

Originally posted by pawi30 View Post
                      I have a schwarz hood in central jersey, if you are still around this way.
                      If the one I found locally doesn't work out I will let you know. We'll be back up there the weekend of the April 16th.

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
                      they are out there ;-)
                      I'm a relationship dolt, if I can find one anyone can. It's not so much finding a car chick, but finding a girl that is generally supportive.

Originally posted by Acidblast View Post
                      wow thats crazy Patrick. Glad to hear you are okay. On the bright side you get to do a M50 swap :)
                      Precisely. Gotta get this one back on the road first but the M50 swap is definitely on the way. As a matter of fact, I ordered some parts for it today to make myself feel better. Your car needs a plastic bumper swap by the way...;)

So I dug into the repairs today. Pulled the old wiring harness and swapped in the new in about 2 hours. Did some cleaning along the way but the engine bay is still filthy. I'm having a hard time getting the rubber bushing in the firewall around the ECU wire to seat. Won't even try to start the car without that in place. Details be important. Other than that, I couldn't find my 32mm box wrench to remove the fan clutch so the alternator belt is the only thing left other than the grommet.

I was thrilled to find that the main harness didn't connect to the OBC so there was no splicing required. I did have to switch one wire to the starter from a screw-on to a plug but all else was fine. Examining the fuel return line proved that it was the culprit. The line burst just below the FPR and that started the fireworks. New high pressure line is in place.

It's freezing cold and I got rained on most of the time but diligence paid off. I'm completely exhausted so I'm going to grab a Bass Ale and stare at the wall. I'll post pictures of the BBQ harness tomorrow when I get feeling back in my feet.

Comment

Lotus Elan huh? Not my fav, but looks like a fun track car.

Getting BC fire extinguishers today. Thinking my d cap is trying to fail, again. Do not use the ones from VatoZone. Had one fail already. On the second in two months.
                        sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Working...
                        X