Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have been very busy with mods lately...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been very busy with mods lately...

Hey guys-
    Well, I just finished the task of installing my E36 M3 3.0 steering rack. I put the rack in with the stock steering linkages in there and it almost worked, just a little binding at the top knuckle. I pulled the linkage out, used my air dremel to smooth down the edges of the knuckle to gain clearance for more range of motion.
    I put it back in and its perfect!! This was a slam dunk to install in the car, by far the easiest swap of custom work I have done to date. I am doing the E36 M3 front brakes aswell, which is going fine, just need longer bolts now to install the 17" fikse profil10's I bought.
    Anyhow, if anyone is interested to see what I did, I will be getting some pics uploaded when I get my camera hooked up. I will post them up then. My wheels are 17x8 and 17x9 with 225/45's in front, 255/40's in back.
    I got the schricks installed after pulling the motor out, pulling off the head and installing EVO3 valve springs. Then I had to do some clearance tests with clay to make sure they wouldn't force the valves into the pistons. Now I have the 284/276 schricks in and ready to go. I had to put the rack in and reweld the subframe before I could drop the motor back in, so it will make its way back into the car one evening this week. I wanted to post these up as a bit fo a teaser as to what I have been doing with the car. I am still not done, as I need to have the whole car painted and then it will be set. I got a CF sunroof and hood to add to my CF EVO3 wing flap. I still need a few parts to do finishing touches with, but the car is almost ready for paint. I am soo excited, I can't wait to start driving it again!!
    PICS:
    Entire linkage shown here:

Close-up of the knuckle and how it was modified:

Whole rack installed.

My new Fikse's with 12.5" Brembo rotors, rebuilt calipers, brass guide bushings and soon to be painted silver E36 M3 calipers...

Money shot of the schricks... They are so big they almost hit the cam box with the 11.5mm lift intake cam...
    '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
    '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
    '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
    iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
    sigpic

daaaayyyyuuuummm
    Back to my roots

Comment

incredible!

Comment

thats a dream car you've got now... roof picture please... Have to see how that looks

Comment

Big ballin'.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I noticed that your tranny is still mounted into the car with the engine taken out. How easy is that to do, or is that only doable with the I4 (can it not be done with the M20)?

Wouldn't that put a lot of strain on your input shaft?

Just something I noticed, and wanted to ask about. :)

By the way - that is SWEET! :D
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

Great stuff Ryan. Loving the Fikses.
              Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Very nice, FM-10s are one of my fav. wheels. Do you happen to know the weight differences between the e30 and e36 m3 brake parts? I know they're supposedly alot heavier but I could never find out by how much.

'05 E46 M3 Imolarot/Cinnamon - CURRENT
                '98 E36 M3 Estorilblau/Dove - SOLD
                '90 E30 M3 Brilliantrot/Black - SOLD
                SRS BSNS Motorsports - 24hrs of LeMons Racer

Comment

That S14 head looks a lot like the M42 head. That's one motor I'd steal. :)
                  The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan 90 M3
                    Very nice, FM-10s are one of my fav. wheels. Do you happen to know the weight differences between the e30 and e36 m3 brake parts? I know they're supposedly alot heavier but I could never find out by how much.
                    These wheels are actually Profil10's, which are the updated design of the FM-10's.
                    I will weign the brakes tomorrow as I have one setup of stock and one steup of E36 off the car now so its perfect for comparison.

Thanks for the feedback guys!!
                    '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
                    sigpic

Comment

The E36 brakes are much heavier. I'm curious to see the actual number.
                      Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Ryan
                        These wheels are actually Profil10's, which are the updated design of the FM-10's.
                        I will weign the brakes tomorrow as I have one setup of stock and one steup of E36 off the car now so its perfect for comparison.

Thanks for the feedback guys!!

Ah, didn't notice. The profil models are even lighter than the older ones, correct? I'm guessing you had to get the e36 offset then?

'05 E46 M3 Imolarot/Cinnamon - CURRENT
                        '98 E36 M3 Estorilblau/Dove - SOLD
                        '90 E30 M3 Brilliantrot/Black - SOLD
                        SRS BSNS Motorsports - 24hrs of LeMons Racer

Comment

Ah, didn't notice. The profil models are even lighter than the older ones, correct? I'm guessing you had to get the e36 offset then?
                          Yea, I got E36 offset. I am running a 5mm spacer in front because of the depth on the brake spacer. It was that or cut the spacer down to fit inside the wheel, and I want the 5MM of track width anyhow.
                          The rears I am running a 30MM bolt-to-hub spacer which will make the 9" wheels with 255's sit nice and wide 8)
                          I was unaware that the profil10's are lighter, but it makes sense as they are a newer/refined wheel from the FM10's...
                          '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
                          sigpic

Comment

I just weighed the components on my analog bathroom scale... not perfect but close enough for comparison purposes.

Brake Weights:
                            E30 M3-
                            Caliper/Carrier- 9lbs
                            Brake Pads- 2lbs
                            Rotor- 12lbs

E36 M3:
                            Caliper/Carrier- 11lbs
                            Brake Pads- 2lbs
                            Rotor- 15lbs

Total increase of 5lbs per corner. Not a HUGE difference, although noticable I am sure. My new wheels weigh 8lbs less per corner and thats rolling mass, so I am ahead of the curve even after adding the brakes on.
                            Plus I added a CF hood and sunroof, theres another 55lbs of weight shaved of the top surfaces of the car so I think I am in OK shape.
                            '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
                            sigpic

Comment

The E36 M3 brakes would work with a non m 5 lug swapped car right? Also, how much better would an aftermarket BBK be?

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X