No announcement yet.

Goodbye Nina... say hello to Veronica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still waiting for parts to arrive so I decided to take advantage of the nice weather yesterday and go OCD on cleaning up the car.

I decided to go from back to front so out comes out all of the trunk trim panels

Bottom

Left hand side

Right hand side

One spot where there was no dust

Looks like the Sahara!

So I attacked it with a vacuum and got as much out as possible. Here is a shot of the rear deck trim piece after I hit it with the vacuum

I then decided to remove the rear seat, remove the torn up sound insulation and cleaned up the build up underneath the rear relay modules. I found a old cigarette butt, some chips and paperclip.

My friend Terence of Glossworks Autospa come over to help detail the exterior of the car and do some color correction.

Debadging the trunk

After giving it a nice bath he proceeded to claybar the panels

Now time to do a cut polish

Before and after on the hood

Applying sealant

Polished front door compared to untouched rear door

He was only able to do the complete the front driver side quarter of the car. He plans to finish polishing the rest of the car tomorrow.

In preperation for tomorrow I decided to remove the door handles to replace the gaskets. This task is a lot easier if you just read and follow the DIY instructions to the letter instead of trying to interpret what they said. FYI "push away from you" means just that, it does not mean you PRY away... PUSH.

Anyway here is what a 20 year old gasket looks like

And all door panels removed for refinishing

Last edited by MC Hammered; 04-25-2016, 11:01 PM.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Sweet! Congratulations man... One of my childhood dreams ;)
      E30 318is Touring | E34 525i Touring

Comment

Very, Very nice.

that engine bay is pure win

Comment

So sexy - congrats!

(subscribed)
          Dave
          -----
          (OO=[][]=OO)
          _E30 FAN_

My E30's

Comment

More pics!

Comment

i like were this is going

Comment

hello veronica. hahah jk
                looks sweet dude.

Comment

that bay!
                  THE ACURA TL PROJECT

BUFF ENUFF? STYLE.OVER.COMFORT

DURTY 3ER///STYLE.OVER.COMFORT

Comment

Im curious as to why you debadged the m5?

Fast life fuck slow..Low life for life
                    Let the mix flow..Let the night flow
                    I'm so gone ✗ ♥ O

Comment

Originally posted by IminDiegoTriick View Post
                      Im curious as to why you debadged the m5?
                      It is a lot easier to cut polish the trunk without the badge being in the way of the buffing wheel.

Comment

Terence spent all day attacking the rest of the car and the end result is amazing.

I decided to leave the ACS rear spoiler off the car as I liked the lines better, but now I have to get the holes that remained filled and the trunk lid painted.

And while the car is in for that bodywork I might as well fill in the holes left behind from the rear quarterpanel small trim piece. Since the previous owner had the fenders pulled the trim piece doesn't fit properly against the new curve. So I hope having the rear door trim piece just end doesn't look too bad

But here is the end result of Terence's work color correcting the paint.

When I bought the car I thought the color of it was black, it is actually a dark grey metallic.

Here are some before and after pictures to compare against.

Before

After

Before

After

Last edited by MC Hammered; 04-25-2016, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Where there is a will, there is a way and I am pretty damn stubborn when I want something to work.

So I am developing this vent solution for the e30 chassis

and I thought it would be very cool to have a setup in my M5 to monitor the vitals of the engine to make sure things are happy under the hood.

This is the pod I want to install

But of course BMW did not make life easy for me and they made a different center vent setup for the e34... becuase we all know more $$$ paid for a car means more pretty lights!

e34 on top, e30 on the bottom with the vent pod installed

As you can see this is not going to be plug and play as the e30 vent assembly is physically bigger than the e34 one.

However, I see that with a bit of modification I can open up one side of the e34 vent housing to make things work

The e30 opening is 105mm wide

If I cut out the wall for the heat adjustment knob on the e34 I get an opening of 107mm

The height of the opening is about the same

So now I have to break out the dremel tool, go get some body filler and get the dust mask on...
                          Last edited by MC Hammered; 04-25-2016, 11:03 PM.

Comment

There is only the center console and the seats left in the M to be removed before I finish cleaning the interior and restore the leather and plastic trim pieces.

Removing the center console was relatively straight forward but getting the side trim pieces off was proving very difficult. I ended up removing the HVAC to see what the problem was and it was these 6 hidden screws

Once the center console was removed and the HVAC panel popped out it is always nice to find random wires that go nowhere

I hit the jackpot! harness spliced into wires that are spliced into the factory wires and then taped up with duct tape! These will get pruned.

So here is how it looks from the driver seat

Next step the seats come out, the carpet gets cleaned, switches get cleaned, plastic trim gets prepped for paint and all leather gets prepped for restoration.
                            Last edited by MC Hammered; 04-25-2016, 11:03 PM.

Comment

I absolutely love E34 M5s, very glad to see this one is getting the appreciation it deserves!
                              '91 318is M52 Turbo (in pieces)

Comment

My first thought was nooo! not the vert that thing is beautiful. But then i thought oh god damn black 34M5. Im torn dead even down the middle. Enjoy it and let us know when this cars lookin for a new owner :)
                                I need your obd1 parts! Harness intake ecu etc.

E30 Your Daily Money Pit

Comment

Working...
                                X