Rescue Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rescue Dog

Found this mutt on Craigslist, it was parked on the street during a wet spring in Vancouver, WA. The previous owner wanted to restore it but life took over and you know how that story ends. It was barely recognizable and full of water from the previous four weeks of rain. I thought I saw something beneath the oxidized paint and rolls of blackout tape. ( Tape?, yeah the PO to the PO used tape to black out everything. ) It was a sad sight. My friends and family thought I was crazy to spend $800 on this project. 1987 325is, but where's the front lip? It's in the back seat of course, one too many curb hits.
    I drove it home the day I bought it and it was interesting... and kind of scary. There were noises and vibrations from every direction, I never went more than 35 MPH and only bottomed out the front right strut twice. Found out later the damper was full of water.
    Got the mongrel in the garage and started the inspection and was pretty pleased with my purchase. All original body parts with VIN numbers and no rust to be found. Fast forward while I replace all the normal wear parts and fluids.
    The timing belt was interesting, I found the tensioner at the limit of it's travel and the belt still had enough slack to slap the cover. Did someone really go in and adjust the tensioner? During the replacement I elected to replace the seals on the front end. When removing the intermediate shaft pulley I tried using the old timing belt as a strap wrench to hold the pulley while I removed the bolt. The belt broke off in my hand. Replace the timing belt when in doubt.

It's drive-able, now let's get the front lip mounted.
    I found enough scraps of the original plastic mounts to re-create one of them. Using some 3/4 x 1/8 stock from Lowe's I bent the mounts to the shape of the plastic. The bending jig is the two bolts driven into the bench.

Lets make three of them and the side mounts.

Mounted on the car, the nice thing about using aluminum is that you can make windage adjustments as necessary.

That's done let's move to the paint: ox-i-dized. No problem I have some cutting compound. Still have some black adhesive on the front lip.

We're getting there but what's up with the crappy black paint on the weaves?

Better

Front lip needs work,

Awe..Yeah!!!

Nice

Comment

Doing it right. Silver wheels FTW. OP you are my hero.
      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Thanks, I still have one minor detail to take care of:

Comment

omigod looks so much nicer.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

what the FUCK man. How did you paint that front valence yourself? It fucking looks awesome. Teach me. And teach me how to polish paint like that as well.

Comment

I sanded it and then sanded again. Sprayed with brown primer and sanded again. Used Dupli-color Flame red to match the Zinnoberrot
              and then some Dupli-color clear. I am still pleased with the result.

Comment

What lip do you have attached to the bottom of IS airdam? Also I pmed you something ;)

Comment

nice work, what did you use to strip the paint off the wheels? previous owner did the same to mine and i hate it

Originally posted by nwvb bmw
                  That guy is going to lock you in his basement and make you ware a little pirate costume.

Comment

I took the lower lip off of a mazda, I don't recall the model I was just looking for something to increase the low. I attach it with small sheet metal screws so as to act as a sacrificial lip. I paid five bucks at the yard so if I drug it off who cares.I had to cut it and glue the middle but I mounted it first and then glued it because it's pretty flimsy. But I think it looks good. It drags but I know where to find another.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks pimp!
                      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Nice work, looks good. Keep it coming.

Comment

looking good! you should paint the db's flat black as well

Comment

Next is the 5 speed swap. look what I found for $600
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks good! Big improvement over how you bought it! Keep it up!

Comment

Working...
                              X