I gotz my lowzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gotz my lowzz

I haven't really been keeping a photo log or thread of the upgrades I do to my car over the months. I kinda just thought when I was finally complete, I would do a great "before/after" thread. But yesterday, I got a sweet set of Bilstein Springs to match my already installed HD struts, and I'm giddy as a little schoolgirl. I had to freakin post some pics.

Big thanks for Neil at Oceanside Motorsports, San Diego for hooking ,e up with these. The ride is so damn good, I never want to get out of my car.

BEFORE (The week I got her back in April, 2010):

AFTER. "She ain't a beauty but hey, she's alright"

She's coming along nicely, if you ask me. Next, some Euro trim and a paintjob.
    '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
    current:
    '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
    '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Needs interior pics.

But lookin good
    Originally posted by E30_fiend
    you know what I just noticed??? You guys didnt high five afterwards. That means you're gay. Cuz its not gay if you high five after. . .

Comment

Yes my interior is pretty sweet, actually. But this thread is merely for the low. Interior pics soon!
      current:

Comment

those weaves sure look big

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
        1983 Peugeot 505 STI
        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
        2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Dems is 15"s baby.
          current:

Comment

nice. how was it driving it across country.

The Build:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

nice stance for DD. did you take out any of the pads? can you give a little review on the spring?
              Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

good DD stance! before you come back to NYC, get a skid plate! NYC roads will kill ya
                Originally posted by TSI
                ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
                OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
                  nice. how was it driving it across country.
                  It was an excellent experience, and I couldn't have picked a better car. I've done it twice so far this year. The first was in my e30. The second was in a For E250 van with my band, doing a full circle. I'm about to embark on my third. Taking the e30 back east this coming week. She's rarin' and ready to go.

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
                  nice stance for DD. did you take out any of the pads? can you give a little review on the spring?
                  Thanks, no pad removal. Although for the front we put the strut mounts on that are supposed to fix the camber offset. The front looks pretty straight although I can see a little bit of camber in the back, which I will take care of soon so I don't burn through tires.

My review:

This is a perfect pairing for a DD. I've been rocking Bilstein HD's with stock springs for almost a year now. While I could feel the firmness of the HD's I hated the stock springs. I've been looking for a decent set of H&R sports for quite some time now, because, well, that's what everybody tells me is the perfect pair. But Neil at OM just so happened to have a set of Billy springs lying around. He talked me into them and gave me a great deal on them. And I really feel like they compliment each other very well. After all, they're built by the same company and were designed for each other.

It's still a very comfortable ride, even smoother than stock. I mean, it's still a firm BMW ride, but it seems to absorb any imperfections in the road with a little bit more of a roundness to it. Gone is any jiggle and massive car vibration any time I hit a bump.
                  The car corners beautifully now. Matter of fact, any kind of turning. Highway curves, 90 degree turns, windy roads. I can do things with this car that I couldn't do before. My center of gravity is much more...well...centered. I no longer feel like I'm going to flip over on an off ramp. I can actually drive an off-ramp faster than 40mph! She stays straight and firmly planted to the ground at all times.

It sits nice and low but high enough for a daily. I think they're about 1/2" lower than H&R sports. Now, I have nothing to compare it to besides stock, so I'm really not sure how they match up to H&R's, but I know I'm happy, and that's all that matters, right?

If I have one concern, it's that I feel like an old man trying to get out of the car now. I also slump down into the chair when I get in, forgetting about the 2 inch drop.

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                  good DD stance! before you come back to NYC, get a skid plate! NYC roads will kill ya
                  Yeah, no shit! Back next week. I'm getting back into a Subaru I think.
                  current:

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynMW View Post

Thanks, no pad removal. Although for the front we put the strut mounts on that are supposed to fix the camber offset. The front looks pretty straight although I can see a little bit of camber in the back, which I will take care of soon so I don't burn through tires.

My review:

This is a perfect pairing for a DD. I've been rocking Bilstein HD's with stock springs for almost a year now. While I could feel the firmness of the HD's I hated the stock springs. I've been looking for a decent set of H&R sports for quite some time now, because, well, that's what everybody tells me is the perfect pair. But Neil at OM just so happened to have a set of Billy springs lying around. He talked me into them and gave me a great deal on them. And I really feel like they compliment each other very well. After all, they're built by the same company and were designed for each other.

It's still a very comfortable ride, even smoother than stock. I mean, it's still a firm BMW ride, but it seems to absorb any imperfections in the road with a little bit more of a roundness to it. Gone is any jiggle and massive car vibration any time I hit a bump.
                    The car corners beautifully now. Matter of fact, any kind of turning. Highway curves, 90 degree turns, windy roads. I can do things with this car that I couldn't do before. My center of gravity is much more...well...centered. I no longer feel like I'm going to flip over on an off ramp. I can actually drive an off-ramp faster than 40mph! She stays straight and firmly planted to the ground at all times.

It sits nice and low but high enough for a daily. I think they're about 1/2" lower than H&R sports. Now, I have nothing to compare it to besides stock, so I'm really not sure how they match up to H&R's, but I know I'm happy, and that's all that matters, right?

If I have one concern, it's that I feel like an old man trying to get out of the car now. I also slump down into the chair when I get in, forgetting about the 2 inch drop.

thanks for the review.

Comment

nice on the lowz
                      GRIPPY'S*GARAGE

Comment

more side pictures pretty please. i'm loving it, it must be your 15" weave

Comment

bilstein HDs are awful for a DD. i run them with h&r cabrio sports (dark blue springs) on my ix. the ride is pretty damn rough for a DD.

i wish bilstein made sports for the ix.

you need spacers for those weaves. 30mm rear, 20mm font.
                          Last edited by Kershaw; 09-10-2011, 11:16 PM.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

Ratty, but sweet!
                            -Erik
                            '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
                            I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

Working...
                            X