My E30ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My E30ix

So I've been in this forum for a while and figured I'd finally share my IX with you guys. I've had it for about three years now and bought it with 90,xxx miles.
    I must say I like this a lot more than my old E30 2.7.

I've done a bunch or work to it. I'll list the stuff I can remember:
    Changed all fluids
    New timing belt
    Adjusted valves
    New front windshield
    Fixed vacuum leak. Head was rebuilt by prior owner and the mechanic forgot to tighten the intake manifold nuts by the firewall.
    All new suspension bushings and ball joints. H&R springs and billie hd's. I want to take the hd's out and go with koni's.
    Rebuilt rear differential. (just last weekend)

Here are some pics of "Big Red"

This is when I first got her

Below is new suspension install

Below is camping trip to Big Bear Lake after suspension install

And rebuilt rear differential that I put in last weekend

The loud and annoying whine went away for the most part, but I can still hear a little whine. Gotta track that down...

You, sir, are doing it right.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Looking good! Paint looks so clean

Bahama Beige E23 Project
      Bluebird Bus Conversion
      New Oregon Trail

Comment

I like it!
        Drive it like you just stole it! :p

Comment

Very clean IX, these are pretty rare. Paint looks great
          87' 325i vert - first e30 and definitely not my last.

Comment

looks really clean, why would you wanna take out hd's though? Just curious cause I was thinking that setup for suspension mod for mine.
            sigpic

Comment

Check the guibo and driveshaft center bearing? Might be whining.

Also fresh fluid in the tranny and diff can help reduce whining.

Really nice car! Nice work!

Comment

Lookin' good.

Who rebuilt the differential?
                Yeah, why Konis instead of keeping the HDs? I've got the HDs on mine but I've got stock springs. The H&R springs lowered yours some eh?

As I'm sure you know: iX has no center support bearing on the driveshaft. All wheel drive WILL exhibit more drive train noise than a rear wheel drive.

I too have owned my iX for about three years (I think?) and am caught up with maintenance and am now concerned / thinking about drive train noise (whine). Was yours distinctly from the rear? Is that why you started with the rear differential?

Comment

Very clean! The 2 door iXs seem to be pretty rare, nice find

Comment

She's purty...

Nice work.

Do the wheel bearings too?

Could #9 be the source of your noise?

My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

IX's dont have center support bearing in the drive shaft ,its a one piece shaft (shorter) due to T-case

they do whine a lot more than a standard E30 also due to extra components of the AWD system(its all right under your seat) ,something you just live with...
                      Angus
                      88 E30M3 X2
                      89 325IX
                      92 R100GS/PD
                      :)

Comment

I don't think they should really be *that* noisy. The loudest thing on my car are the bent bottlecaps :p
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Loudest thing on my ix is my stromung.

OP, your car looks great! Very clean.
                          1988 325ix

Comment

Looks great! Good looking e30!

Comment

Thanks guys. I still have long list of stuff to tackle. I jump back and forth between this one and my e39, and currently it's my e39's turn for repair. lol

I wanna go with the koni's cause I've heard the billies actually raise the car a little. I also didn't trim the bump stops (heard someone on here say it's not needed, but most say it is) and I'm debating if I should just trim the bump stops or switch to koni's. I do want a little more low. I should of just went with coil overs in the first place... I dunno.

Originally the IX has a vicous rear differential. My pinion bearings were whining like a baby. I decided to go with an lsd clutch pack 40% lock up diff meant for an M3. It's the same 3.91 gear ratio (manual) as the front diff so I won't burn up the transfer case. I found a guy on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/220856957245...#ht_500wt_1116 The diff looks good but it took about 2 weeks longer than he said it would. He made up for it with great communication. I'm gonna jack up all four tires and see if I can track down the noise with a stethoscope and someone holding it at 30mph. But the noise now is nothing like it was so I'm way happier.

Haven't done any wheel bearings yet. They seem ok. I'm hoping to dive into a turbo setup some day.

dogsbark26, I figured out the rear diff was making a bunch of noise by jacking up all four wheels, getting it to 30 mph and using a stethoscope to pinpoint it. When I took it apart I found the pinion bearings were bad. I'm rebuilding it now and plan to keep it as a spare. I'm gonna try and switch out the viscous pack with a clutch pack ( I dunno if they are interchangeable???).

I commend everyone on Revlimited, you guys have helped me through countless repairs on my old e30 2.7 and my ix.

Comment

Working...
                              X