No announcement yet.

1989 e30 Touring... this is Betty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The original exhaust solution was some 5 series headers, into a Racing Dynamics midsection then to a Magnafow muffler. While this solution worked, the exhaust note was loud and raspy.

The problem with the old setup is no flex sections were used, so the RD midsection would hit the left hand edge of the newly installed OEM heat shield when the engine shifts during driving.

Gutenparts replaced the Magnaflow muffler with one made by Rogue Engineering. Unfortunately they did not have time to make adjustments to the exhaust, so the rubber exhaust hanger would pull the muffler to the right causing the exhaust tips to contact with the edge of the rear valence exhaust opening.

It is hard to see here but the exhaust tips point straight back are being pulled to the right and hitting the rear valence.

I took the car to CTS Turbo to see what could be done to fix these issues.

Their fabricator Scotty added a 4" flex section and adjusted the piping to center the RD midsection in the heat shield. So problem #1 fixed!

The combination of the outlet of the midsection, the inlet pipes of the Rogue muffler, the OEM exhaust hanger locations and the OEM muffler bracket positioned the final location the Rogue muffler even more to the right, which made it impossible for the exhaust tips to clear the rear valence.

As you can see in the picture below the right hand exhaust outlet points right into the rear valence. You can also see the 'white spots' where the exhaust tip contact wore through the black paint.

So the exhaust tips were cut off and reused, but in order for them to clear the rear valence the tips had to be shifted down and on an angle.

These are some beautiful welds!

The exhaust tips are now centered in the exhaust opening and on a staggered angle.

Last edited by MC Hammered; 07-04-2013, 12:21 AM.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

oof. marvelous car man. i love e30 wagons.
      私は日本語を話すことができない

Comment

What are the wheel specs again? I have 225/45R17 slightly stretched on my 17x9 rears and would like to run a wider tire but after a crappy fender roll I still rub sometimes. I'd like to do a 235/40 but I think I'd need something with a higher offset.
        For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
        Originally posted by mbonanni
        I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

i will have a touring
          e30s r kool

Comment

Buy mine.
            For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
            Originally posted by mbonanni
            I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Hey, this is Andre from Buffalo Motor Works, we corresponded a bit via e-mail.

Glad to hear it got home safe, looks like Guten did a great job on the refresh
              Originally posted by blunt
              can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
                What are the wheel specs again? I have 225/45R17 slightly stretched on my 17x9 rears and would like to run a wider tire but after a crappy fender roll I still rub sometimes. I'd like to do a 235/40 but I think I'd need something with a higher offset.
                front is 17x8.5 et15 with 215/40/17
                rear is 17x10 et20 with 245/35/17

Originally posted by ColdAccord View Post
                Hey, this is Andre from Buffalo Motor Works, we corresponded a bit via e-mail.

Glad to hear it got home safe, looks like Guten did a great job on the refresh
                Guten did a great job and the car behaves so well. I do not know how fast my friends were driving, but they were able to go from coast to coast in 3.5 days! And that included a trip to Cedar Point! :crazy:

Comment

The Recaros pieces are slowly coming together.

Comment

Leave the center caps off!
                    Originally posted by kendogg
                    Don't know, but the E90 wasn't designed from the ground-up intending to be a racecar like the E30 was.
                    OG RACECAR

Comment

Accepting applications for the best bum to sit on this seat!

Comment

Very cool retrim :)
                        E30 325i Touring currently under construction.
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...256444&page=20
                        sigpic

Comment

One seat completed!

Comment

I want Betty
                            sigpic

Comment

Every time I wash the car I end up with two nice pools of water in the rear compartments as the rear trunk vent gaskets have failed.

I finally had enough of these two leaks, pulled off the rear bumper and extracted the trunk vents. This is what a 25 yesr old driver side vent gasket looks like. Water just flows down the edge, reaches the break in gasket and flows right into the car.

Here is the passenger side

Clean the crap off the front of each vent opening

Clean the dirt and gunk off each vent

Old gasket on the left, new one on the right. The new gasket is so plump and fat!

Made sure I lathered the gasket with some silicone lube and installed.

With the gasket in place the vent clips back in nice and snug. Water tested each side and no more leaks!

Comment

Todays TGIF picture is brought to you by Recaro!

Comment

Working...
                                X