Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PIC HEAVY...Freshly Painted Interlagos Blue e30 ('88 325is)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PIC HEAVY...Freshly Painted Interlagos Blue e30 ('88 325is)

**Updated pics

Wanted to add all pics into one thread, realized i have multiple threads so i'll just keep adding to this one ;)

One thing about this color...can't seem to capture how it looks with pics. Always shows up a lot darker, depends on the day i guess. Anyways, hope you enjoy the progression of it.

I know I know, this car is not worthy of Interlagos, but i had to do it! Why not?

Always loved the interlagos color and had my mind set on it when i picked the car up last winter. It's pretty dang close in person but the pics dont do it justice. Ive never seen it done so i figured we'd give it a shot! My dad and i did all the body/prep work, he did the paint.

Havent wet sanded or buffed it yet so its not 100%, but im diggin it. Also still waiting on some trim/bumper parts but its coming along nicely. Not too bad for a home garage paint job IMO.

Comments and complaints welcome! :hitler:

Lots of pics of the progression...

Most recent update: added BBS RS, lip, more low, rolled fenders.

Last edited by randomsv650; 10-10-2012, 06:24 PM.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

E30s look amazing in blue
    Great work! :up:
    Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

great work with the prep and spraying the jambs and doors properly.. i can't wait to see it after wetsanding and buffing!

Comment

Looks good so far! Blue E30s are awesome.
        -Nick
        Originally posted by 87e30
        First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

yeah the prep/taping and painting of the door jams was a pain, but glad we did it right. I had already painted the engine bay and truck black over the winter when i had the motor out, so that was all set. hopefully will have it sanded and buffed/waxed this weekend. thanks for the comments!
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Good job

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

I must say..blue e30's are awesome ;). I've always wondered what an interlagos e30 would look like. Do you have any pics with better lighting/balance? How would you rate the quality of the paint overall?
              The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                I must say..blue e30's are awesome ;). I've always wondered what an interlagos e30 would look like. Do you have any pics with better lighting/balance? How would you rate the quality of the paint overall?
                I'll get some better pics once it's all wet sanded/buffed, i think that'll show it well. I have a couple ill post for now. The paint quality i think was pretty good, layed down really nice. We didnt get the best stuff out there or the worst, just something in between that a good friend (local body shop guy) highly recommended. Forget the brand of paint but it's a pretty close match.

and I agree, blue always looks awesome on e30's!

Crappy iPhone pics...(the yellows should be going on once i figured out wiring too):

Comment

Looking good, though I can't help but wonder why so many pieces - many of them easily removed - were left on the car while it was getting sprayed (door handles, lock cylinders, drip rail trim, side mirrors, side windows, rear glass, etc.). I'd have thought it would be easier to remove them than to clean overspray from them, but I don't do paint and body work for a living either.
                  Originally posted by kronus
                  would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Guess i'll be the one to say it? why so much orange peel? Needs a good wet sanding for sure.

Glad you did the body work/paint yourself though!
                    My Build Thread Here (E30) ---> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=240528
                    And Here (2002tii) ---> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...35#post3173435

Comment

It does look extremely orange-peely, but i'll save all judgement for once it's finished.
                      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                        I can't help but wonder why so many pieces - many of them easily removed - were left on the car while it was getting sprayed (door handles, lock cylinders, drip rail trim, side mirrors, side windows, rear glass, etc.). I'd have thought it would be easier to remove them than to clean overspray from them
                        ditto.
                        8380 Laboratories
                        M3 Champs Poster

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                          Looking good, though I can't help but wonder why so many pieces - many of them easily removed - were left on the car while it was getting sprayed (door handles, lock cylinders, drip rail trim, side mirrors, side windows, rear glass, etc.). I'd have thought it would be easier to remove them than to clean overspray from them, but I don't do paint and body work for a living either.
                          Yeah, i thought of that but he wanted to tape it all. it is getting a lot of new glass too, which is another reason we left it in. And overspray cleans off glass like nothing! Had no idea. He painted cars for quite a while from highschool through college and then on and off over the last 30 years, but is just now really getting back into it. He did a lot of GTO's, camaros, etc. Also painted my brothers '73 2002!

The pics make it look like there's a lot of orange peel, but only in certain spots. We wet sanded the trunk lid already and it made a huge difference, didnt realize how much prep work and after-work sanding is needed, though i guess that depends on how well its initially done.

Originally posted by Npulver View Post
                          Guess i'll be the one to say it? why so much orange peel? Needs a good wet sanding for sure.

Glad you did the body work/paint yourself though!
                          It definitely does. As i said, its not as bad as the pics make it look. Amazing what a little wet sanding and buffing will do. The trunk came out really nice after doing that. So much work, but am glad to say we did it ourselves. Thanks!

And for the record, im totally cool with any tips criticisms. Wouldn't post up on here if i didnt expect some! Planning on blacking out the trim around the windows too sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by 8380 Labs View Post
                            ditto.
                            taping is easy :)

Comment

i also really need a front plastic bumper, for some reason i cant seem to locate one on the east coast!

Comment

Working...
                              X