E30 325i.. Daily but project-to-be (PICS A PLENTY)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • bangn
    replied
    Few engine components cleaned up, basically if its able to be pulled apart, its getting pulled apart. Even the alternator got stripped down and gone through.



    power steering pump getting new o-rings


    Block is somwhere in perth getting some special hot pressure acid wash in order to get all the crap out of the gallerys. So should come back looking brilliant.

    Also sent a heap of ally parts out to get acid bathed so they come back brand new looking. From what I was told today the intake mani looks like it came out of a box.

    Also have a small box full of brackets I have stripped back for the accessorys im going to get re-plated, Including the alternator pulley/fin ect.. Learnt a long time ago painting engine parts looks good in the short term, but after some adjusting and some heat it just falls off and looks crap. So why not go OEM finish this time. After all it lasted all these years.

    the head is cactus, I cant find a crack in it, but the journals for the cam are badly scored at number 5/6. One would think this is where the crack would be, however I cant find it. Not worth risking using this head on such a big build.

    received my IS Lip

    Leave a comment:


  • MattAvino
    replied
    Originally posted by Schwartz-e30
    Have those seats in my DD at the moment. Lookin good man, now get to that 3rd pedal issue!
    Brand?

    Leave a comment:


  • bangn
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • bangn
    replied
    Very simple mate, I used a degreaser concentrate at 100% with a spray bottle into the door jam. Then used a paintbrush and disturbed the dirt on everything, then used a spray bottle with water and washed it off and dryed it with a microfibre. Then a wipe over with some canuba wax to protect.. It really doesnt take long and beats sitting there trying to polish it out.

    so 8am this morning the project began.. big thankyou to my buddy kush to allowing me to rip out one of his m20b25s from his parts car, and sweet talking me into getting his getrag 260 for the project :)

    Motor is now waiting at the workshop for strip down, Had a quick look inside and its a bit milky, dare say shes got a cracked head but no biggy. A new recast head from headtorque will sort that out quick smart.

    already started compiling my project list on Pelicans, man I love that website. Rounded up a list of new genuine parts for the shifter assembly on the 260

    everything in that picture will be replaced with new items apart from the switch and part number 10, even getting a new lower section of the gearstick. Nothing worse than stiring soup hunting for gears, once the gearbox is in the car theres no way in hell I would want to replace all that later down the line.. so best to do it now.

    im not stopping there tho, pedalbox had a bit of an overhaul as well, I have ordered new pedal box springs, spring grommets, fluid tank for the clutch and new line as well as the new bushes and clutch master I installed this week. Had to order a new plastic fitting for the master cyl as well, I tried to remove it from the old cyl, however it was just too old and brittle and it snapped :( Just trying to track down a new foam gasket for the plate where it meets up against the firewall

    what else did I do this week :/ oh yes. I had a spare steering collumn, the one in my car currently has flogged out bearings and has movement. So I stripped down the spare collumn and found the bearings in this new one to be in very good condition, no play. Just a buildup of dirt and grime which made it pretty gritty to turn. Removed everything, cleaned everything with insane detail and re-assembled with HTB grease. It feels and looks brand new again!

    getrag 240 will still be going in my car whilst this other engine is getting built.
    stay tuned!

    Leave a comment:


  • jaydeep
    replied
    How did you clean Door jams? Looks really clean. Nice

    Leave a comment:


  • bangn
    replied
    yeh, I need 40s or 35s.. its got 45s on it currently.

    Leave a comment:


  • ColdAccord
    replied
    the tires look kind of tall, I too wonder. On my e36m3/mcoupe 5lug car I ran staggered e36m3 wheels with 235/40/17 all around and was cutting it pretty close

    Leave a comment:


  • bangn
    replied
    also this weekend im pickn up another 2.5 m20 for the build im going to do...

    it involves a 3076R, metric mechanic and an ETA crank

    Leave a comment:


  • bangn
    replied
    thanks for the comments :)

    the red ones running 235/45s, I dont know hes getting away with it in the rear, Im running 225s and mine scrapes. Hes only running 7.5s in the front and 8.5 in the rear, where im running 8.5 all round at 20 offset and 5mm spacers.. so prob something to do with it ;) or earlier versions have different height rear guards.

    Rails are original E30 items, however what I did was pull the pins out from the original seats and made up brackets from 3mm angle steel to where the pins used to be, they are fixed down with m10 hightens bolts and shocky pins to prevent the old points from crushing down. Very Very strong, the seats dont wobble about and I think I would be dead before those seats decide to bust out! Here is an example from the first rails I made before I decided to make them longer to keep them the same width as the seat.



    today I popped in the black leather rears, they match up to the fronts alot better rather than the tan.. it will do for now until I get them re-trimmed to match


    reblackened the faded stone guard area as it was a bit faded


    and retrofitted some VX-VZ commodore rear lowered springs in.. they are identical height to the msport option suspension that was in it, however the coils are twice as thick as they are from a car that weighs alot more than an E30.. result is no more scraping from my 17s, awesome ride quality and a much more stable rear end.

    Leave a comment:


  • freeride53
    replied
    Gawd i really want some amber euro side indicators now. looks good mate

    Leave a comment:


  • ColdAccord
    replied
    wow, that cleaned up well. What size tires on the red one?

    Leave a comment:


  • XW70
    replied
    Good to see even more Perth e30's that haven't received the bogan treatment with wheels from bob jane and a rice canon on the back! this thing is immensely clean, cant wait for updates.

    Us Perth R3v guys should have a meet up one day...

    Leave a comment:


  • Dalejandrino
    replied
    What seats and rails did you use?

    Leave a comment:


  • bangn
    replied
    i intend to!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Schwartz-e30
    replied
    Have those seats in my DD at the moment. Lookin good man, now get to that 3rd pedal issue!

    Leave a comment:

Working...