Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Driver s52 Sedan. The Silberbullet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 36brua View Post
    So if I read this and other posts correctly.... I should cough up the $ buy a new BMW dual mass flywheel if I don't have a flywheel to use ? thnx
    If you have no time to hunt for a good used unit and want 100% perfect; an oem new part will be new and 100%.

Remember to get the matching bolts too for both flywheel and pressure plate

+1 for Dave at market motorworks. I will get my s54 swap full electronics from them

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

I am still considering Dave to do my wiring, but have yet to decide.

Who knows where to order the cheapest dual mass s52 flywheel from? Pelican has it at 800 something. Im looking around 600 new. Any help?
      Last edited by Link; 05-28-2013, 06:22 PM.
      View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
        If you have no time to hunt for a good used unit and want 100% perfect; an oem new part will be new and 100%.

Remember to get the matching bolts too for both flywheel and pressure plate

+1 for Dave at market motorworks. I will get my s54 swap full electronics from them

Thanks for the input on flywheel/bolts. As said Pelican is showing the TM @ $800 + oh well gotta pay to play.
        Link please post up where /if you buy a dual mass from
        Not trying to over do it on Dave M but I had him do my harness.. three cranks and started. this is obd 1
        Last edited by 36brua; 05-28-2013, 09:49 PM. Reason: add question
        My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

I got my clutch, and fan set up ordered... and the over expensive flywheel. This car hopefully will all be worth all the money and time. I expect it will! Hope for parts to start showing up soon...

When deleting SAP what all comes off? The little blue stripped hose running off the hard line across the front of the motor plugs into something.. do I just cap its port of continue removing farther than that?

Comment

Bump for how to remove SAP and evap.

Comment

Keep it all. Doesn't hurt performance at all

OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

From recent reading it sounds that I should keep my EVAP and SAP.

Then I would only be having my DME tuned to flash out EWS, rear o2s... and what? I feel like most OBD2 swaps alter their DME much more than that. Is there something I am missing?

UPDATE: I went to wire in my stereo today, I hooked up the battery and the ignition did not work. Then I remembered about these 2/3 wires in the engine bay that I think may be causing the problem. Im sure someone can tell me what these are easy. I just do not remember when I pulled them.

Can someone tell me where those all go please. I'd love to get my interior on its way while I'm waiting for engine parts. Secretly hoping to make it to the e30 Picnic here at the end of June.
                Last edited by Link; 05-29-2013, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Pic one is wire for the fuel pump. It goes right behind the silver end of the battery cable, on the other side of the power block.

The other two wires are for the fuse box. Use your M42 alternator cable and hook them to the battery end of the cable. The E36 battery cable doesn't have the provisions for screwing your fuse box wires down.
                  '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Thank you Austin, so hopefully I understand correctly. I will be using the alternator cable end from the m42 on the cable running from the s52 alternator, correct me if Im wrong. I will be hooking these up this evening to get me stereo and sub wired. And possibly my euro clock, I have to find the DIY again for that as I forget the wire codes.

Comment

The M42 starter cable goes from battery distribution block to the starter. Use your S52 starter/alternator cable.
                      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

So I have sold my tires off my wheels, and am now thinking I will be selling the style 5s and adapters because I do not want my rim to poke at all, as I plan to run 225 on all four corners. Anyone have some wheel suggestions? Id like to stick with a BMW wheel, so maybe keep the adapters and find a better offset wheel for what I want so I can stay 5x120. Open to all thoughts.

And Austin I will look at the two cables you speak of and hopefully understand what you mean. (IDK why I would not understand).

EDIT: I just looked at the cables Austin spoke of and i think I know what to do. I will be taking the m42 cable that runs from the starter to the battery terminal in the engine bay located above the battery tray and using that instead of the s52 cable that does the same thing.

EDITT: So upon farther digging when I went to pull the m42 cable from the starter to the battery terminal there is a "T" in the cable running to the alternator. Should I just snip off that side and shrink wrap it? Or cut the "T" out and run a butt connector? Kind of lost on this.
                        Last edited by Link; 05-30-2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I am wiring in my stereo into my 1991 e30 318i which currently had no stereo. I have the thing wired in all good, but the blue/white wire from me stereo goes to a blue wire that is "amp power/control". I have no wire for the antenna on the stereo side. How do I fix this?

Or can I just plug the big needle prong thing into the stereo and have a switch on the white e30 antenna wire to have it go up and down?

Comment

This is a great build mate, sorry I don't really have anything to add. I will hopefully be doing this some day.

Good luck!

Comment

UPDATE 5/31/13: So today I spent some time in the garage. I got the e34 oil pan swapper over.

Motor Shot:

I am still unsure what the mod I have to do to the dip stick is.. I know I wend on another port for something to drain into it. But what is draining? Oil from the intake correct? Any photos of this?

Here is the wire set up for my antenna currently. I am guessing the black in suppose to run to a 12v source, but where would the other end of the white go?..

Thanks for looking everyone. Im really getting excited to drop this motor in. My brother is a diesel mechanic and has done a great amount of wiring. He is going to help connect the harnesses with me. His plan is to place the motor in the car and then trace wires and connect everything. What are your guys's thoughts on that process? Sounds difficult to me.

Comment

one way to do dip stick mod engine build starts on p 19
                                My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Working...
                                X