Back in the game, just picked this up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the game, just picked this up.

I had to sell my 88 325ix manual coupe recently due to job issues. Job is going better now, so I just started searching for another bmw. Found this one (no fresh picks yet due to its night and I just got back home from the 4 hours trip).
    I feel it was worth it, needs some tlc for sure, can't wait to start cleaning it up.

The car is a 1989 325ic, manual, convertible, 175k. $1,500 (ad just got taken down, I was going to link it).

On another note, the speedometer seems to not work consistently. Anyone know a way to fix this???
    Can't get the rear lid/cover to go down all the way to cover/lock the top down in the back.
    Last edited by R1ckM; 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM.

you probably don't have the top folded right. open the lid back up and as you are lowering the top. adjust the pleats to the top folds properly and it will fit in the boot well.

as far as the speedo, check out the garagetasic web site. they sell e30 gears really cheap. i have used them several times with fantastic results.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

By not working you mean sometimes while driving it just drops down to 0 mph?

You need to remove the gauge cluster and tighten the two small brass nuts on the back:

If that doesn't fix it, try cleaning them with a dremel/wirebrush. If that doesn't work, you may need to re-flow a few solder joints inside the cluster.

If by speedo you mean ODO, then yes follow flyboy's advice, I fixed my odo via garagistic and it works perfect!

My Transaction Feedback
      My "build" thread
      BUY MY CAR!!

Comment

Yeah, the speedo will jump to show the mph I am going and then go back down to 0mph lol. I used a digi speedo to just go ahead and figure out what rpm/gear = speed you're going.
        Pretty easy to get down.
        I will pull the GC out and take a look sunday when I get a day off. I work too much atm...

Oh and yep, was folding the top wrong. I like how it tucks away and you don't need to put a cover/bra thingy over it to give it that "clean" look.

One big ??? I need some new wheels to spice it up a bit. I see the car looking much better with some. Also a new driver side, side mirror w/ glass and housing.
        I was thinking maybe some flat black rims...idk. Hard to choose a style as well. Trying to to get the black to clash with the dark blue top and tan interior. I would almost need to swap it all out with black interior and a black top but maybe thats a little overkill.

Comment

Why not dark blue wheels to match the top? Or keep plastidipping until you find a color you like.

My personal opinion is it's not necessarily the wheels that are the critical decision, but the fitment. You can have pristine BBS rs's polished and refurbished and what have you, but if you're running undersized tires or stock/h&r height then they're wasted. BUT: that's just my opinion.

One thing about modding a car cosmetically, you gotta do what you like. Don't become a r3v sheep who are all trained to like one thing. Do what you think is cool looking. Look at pictures of other cars, take ideas that look good, don't limit yourself to what others tell you will look good.

My Transaction Feedback
          My "build" thread
          BUY MY CAR!!

Comment

Originally posted by R1ckM View Post
            Yeah, the speedo will jump to show the mph I am going and then go back down to 0mph lol. I used a digi speedo to just go ahead and figure out what rpm/gear = speed you're going.
            Pretty easy to get down.
            I will pull the GC out and take a look sunday when I get a day off. I work too much atm...

Oh and yep, was folding the top wrong. I like how it tucks away and you don't need to put a cover/bra thingy over it to give it that "clean" look.

One big ??? I need some new wheels to spice it up a bit. I see the car looking much better with some. Also a new driver side, side mirror w/ glass and housing.
            I was thinking maybe some flat black rims...idk. Hard to choose a style as well. Trying to to get the black to clash with the dark blue top and tan interior. I would almost need to swap it all out with black interior and a black top but maybe thats a little overkill.
            loose ground, tighten on back of cluster
            "I wanna see da boat movie"
            "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Got a few pics today... The driver side got heat damage, side mirror melted a bit, the paint is all spotted and smokey. The other side looks great, no dents or anything. The top is in nice cond too. One of the front lights is cracked too.

Why is just one of the inlets not using a wire? The other one which is opposite of it has the coilpack running to it. (from what it looks like)

Comment

Also, looking for a DIY on getting the gauge cluster out so I can fix the speedo and is there a legit way to change out the diving boards for a newer style front and rear bumper??? (like 90-92 e30)

Would like to replace the speakers as well, there aren't in the back atm. Looks like its got kick panel, side of doors, tweeters and rear. Anyone got the specs I need I know its like 5.25 front and 6.5 size in the back but what size are in the door?

One of the 30 amps are blown in the fuse panel under the hood. I need a fuse diagram to see what it controls (please be blower motor)

Woah, was looking for wheels. Found these, but would they fit?!

Thoughts on rims? (teh wheels...)
                Last edited by R1ckM; 07-10-2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Jesus what happened to your car??

Also, looking for a DIY on getting the gauge cluster out so I can fix the speedo
                  See the post below:

Originally posted by saturnv7890 View Post
                  By not working you mean sometimes while driving it just drops down to 0 mph?

You need to remove the gauge cluster and tighten the two small brass nuts on the back:
                  http://home.comcast.net/~cdeegan9/da...shboard_1.html

If that doesn't fix it, try cleaning them with a dremel/wirebrush. If that doesn't work, you may need to re-flow a few solder joints inside the cluster.

If by speedo you mean ODO, then yes follow flyboy's advice, I fixed my odo via garagistic and it works perfect!

and is there a legit way to change out the diving boards for a newer style front and rear bumper??? (like 90-92 e30)
                  I’m not an expert on cabrios, so you’ll have to do some more research there, but if it is a direct swap (it should be), this is what you need:
                  -bumpers
                  -front blinkers
                  -front blinker wiring plug (just connect the same colors together from the old plug)
                  -side mounts and associated lag bolts
                  -all newer bumper shocks and bolts
                  -optional is the rear valence, I’ve seen people swap the valence for a bigger late valence, it was a lot of work but looked nice. Requires cutting/welding/fabricating

Would like to replace the speakers as well, there aren't in the back atm. Looks like its got kick panel, side of doors, tweeters and rear. Anyone got the specs I need I know its like 5.25 front and 6.5 size in the back but what size are in the door?

One of the 30 amps are blown in the fuse panel under the hood. I need a fuse diagram to see what it controls (please be blower motor)
                  Citing lack of expertise on cabrios I can’t help you with speakers.
                  As for the fuse, you need a Bentley manual. If you have one, look it up, they have a very nice section on the fuse panel. There you can find your 30 amp fuse, as well as every fuse associated with the blower motor (Bentley does a good job to refer you to all related fuses). If it’s not a fuse, take a look at your resistor pack, or try hitting the motor.

Woah, was looking for rims. Found these, but would they fit?!
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/15X8-STR-512...90cbc5&vxp=mtr

Thoughts on rims?
                  (unrelated: the word “rims” bothers me)

As for these, I’ve got a few things to say and hopefully others will chime in:
                  -Quality might be shady, I wouldn’t track them, however I’m sure people have. Not sure there.
                  -0 offset is a bit wide, you’ll be poking and require some tire stretch and/or fender work
                  -You’ll need hubcentric rings to go from their 73.1mm centerbore to your 57.1mm hub.

I’ll be picking up a set of wheels of comparable quality (XXR/sportmax 501). I can comment on their quality when/if I get them.

I’d do some research before jumping on these. Look at some pictures of e30’s with this size wheel at this offset, if you don’t mind the poke, go for it! I think a poked 15” wheel would look a lot better with a slammed car, which is something to consider. But then that is just me.

My Transaction Feedback
                  My "build" thread
                  BUY MY CAR!!

Comment

Originally posted by saturnv7890 View Post
                    Jesus what happened to your car??

(unrelated: the word “rims” bothers me)

As for these, I’ve got a few things to say and hopefully others will chime in:
                    -Quality might be shady, I wouldn’t track them, however I’m sure people have. Not sure there.
                    -0 offset is a bit wide, you’ll be poking and require some tire stretch and/or fender work
                    -You’ll need hubcentric rings to go from their 73.1mm centerbore to your 57.1mm hub.

I’ll be picking up a set of wheels of comparable quality (XXR/sportmax 501). I can comment on their quality when/if I get them.

I’d do some research before jumping on these. Look at some pictures of e30’s with this size wheel at this offset, if you don’t mind the poke, go for it! I think a poked 15” wheel would look a lot better with a slammed car, which is something to consider. But then that is just me.
                    Thank you for the quality post. The damage on the driver side was caused by the fire/heat from a car next to it, which was on fire somehow. I don't know much besides that, the owner got this and a 74 bmw 2002 project from his neighbor that moved out of the state and couldn't take all their cars with them.
                    Gawd, why did I type "rims" I have the same dislike. I probably had wheels but then my keyboard on this small laptop kept making me typo and mess up due to the mouse pad sensor thing.

I like the bbs wheels with the weave/mesh type center but would like a different brand due to legit bbs being costly for my range. (cost more than the car did ya know).

I am going to check that fuse tonight, pick up a new stereo and maybe speakers to get me by as well as start on that body work on the driver side. Might get a factory match of rattle can for now till I can talk with my body shop friends. I work mon-sat 9-6pm so its hard to do anything e.e

Snagged a few pics of the project car he had up fs, price seemed ok imo. Was taken apart, had a rebuilt long block which is out of the car. Needs to get put back together and some other stuff.

Last edited by R1ckM; 07-10-2013, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X