Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet "Blue Nose" M62b44 swap (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been MIA a bit; have some good and bad news...

Will update shortly.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Originally posted by DIIRTY-30 View Post
      Been MIA a bit; have some good and bad news...

Will update shortly.
      I hope all is well and there is good news pertaining to the car! It's looking awesome!!! Also, if you're still looking to replace lost hardware for the front end, belmetric.com supplies nearly every single metric fastener you'd need at much less than oem BMW prices (and in most cases they source from the same vendor as oem)
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
        I hope all is well and there is good news pertaining to the car! It's looking awesome!!! Also, if you're still looking to replace lost hardware for the front end, belmetric.com supplies nearly every single metric fastener you'd need at much less than oem BMW prices (and in most cases they source from the same vendor as oem)

Dude thank you, I actually have a list of random nuts & bolts I have to buy that when I gave a few part numbers to BMA they hit me with $10 a nut. INSANITY.

As for the news; Good part is the wiring and everything was good, didn't fry a harness like I was afraid of originally. Motor turned over and idled.. Bad news is that the motor threw a rod through the side of the block. I wasn't there when it happened so I have no clue what really happened which I'm not happy about. So there isn't much I can do, so after seeing the damage in person I kind of just accepted it and am pushing forward.

When I have time to jump onto Flickr I'll upload some pics. I'm still really really really bummed out over it. Just trying to make the best of the series of bad situations I've been dealt lately. Just another set back .

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Damn, that's horrible. What was the history on the motor?
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Oh damn :( that's not what I wanted to hear. Let me know if you need a hand
            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
            Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Damn, that's horrible. What was the history on the motor?

Pulled from a mechanics car supposedly with 90k miles on it. That's about as much as I knew. Internals looked fine, chain and guides were alright. Still unsure wtf happened.

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
              Oh damn that's not what I wanted to hear. Let me know if you need a hand
              Yeah it's a bummer but that's life, appreciate the offer man!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Well here's some minor updates... I'll start with the worst first.

Wrist pin on Cyl 5 snapped; jetted through the side of the block putting a nice sized hole in it.

So the next day I came across a 540i for sale, went ahead and bought it and drove it home with a messed up transmission. Pulled the motor out the following day before towing my e30 back home. If this e39 was any other color than this, I most likely would have kept it.

The motor had good compression across the board, motor has 149k on it, timing guides and chains haven't been done. I may pick up an m62 block and re-use my M60 heads and build something up from there. M62 is just to keep the ball rolling for the time being.

Sold the rolling chassis a few days later and got my money back went to someone whose now going to turn it into a show/shop car. Be cool to see it once it's all finished up!

Pulled the heads off the m60 to see if there was any damage and from a visual inspection doesn't seem to be. Maybe in a few months I'll have the heads re-done and etc.

Test fitted the Futura's between breaking down the motor just to see what they look like.

Tore some stuff off the M62 and starting to transfer over parts now... Still waiting on the oil pan to be fixed so I can swap it out and put the flywheel, clutch, and trans back on. Once that comes around this should be a lot quicker.

Went ahead and gave the ol gal a wash & wax since its been a while...

Trimmed the gas lever down & re drilled the 3/8" so it clears the pedal box, wired up my Alpina Gauge, polished my SS exhaust piping, cut outs, and the coolant piping for kicks..

So hopefully once the oil pan is finished and I re-tap the rear coolant cross over pipe for the water temp sensor. Motor should drop back in and have less issues this time around, fingers crossed.
              Last edited by DIIRTY-30; 07-12-2016, 12:10 PM.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

thank god you pulled that "M5" off the road. Ive seen that thing in the valley and almost puked everytime I saw it.

Glad to see this hasnt killed the motivation, Ive been down a similar road. It sucks
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by DIIRTY-30 View Post
                  Pulled from a mechanics car supposedly with 90k miles on it. That's about as much as I knew. Internals looked fine, chain and guides were alright. Still unsure wtf happened.

Yeah it's a bummer but that's life, appreciate the offer man!

Well here's some minor updates... I'll start with the worst first.

Wrist pin on Cyl 5 snapped; jetted through the side of the block putting a nice sized hole in it.

So the next day I came across a 540i for sale, went ahead and bought it and drove it home with a messed up transmission. Pulled the motor out the following day before towing my e30 back home. If this e39 was any other color than this, I most likely would have kept it.

The motor had good compression across the board, motor has 149k on it, timing guides and chains haven't been done. I may pick up an m62 block and re-use my M60 heads and build something up from there. M62 is just to keep the ball rolling for the time being.

Sold the rolling chassis a few days later and got my money back went to someone whose now going to turn it into a show/shop car. Be cool to see it once it's all finished up!

Pulled the heads off the m60 to see if there was any damage and from a visual inspection doesn't seem to be. Maybe in a few months I'll have the heads re-done and etc.

Test fitted the Futura's between breaking down the motor just to see what they look like.

Tore some stuff off the M62 and starting to transfer over parts now... Still waiting on the oil pan to be fixed so I can swap it out and put the flywheel, clutch, and trans back on. Once that comes around this should be a lot quicker.

Went ahead and gave the ol gal a wash & wax since its been a while...

Trimmed the gas lever down & re drilled the 3/8" so it clears the pedal box, wired up my Alpina Gauge, polished my SS exhaust piping, cut outs, and the coolant piping for kicks..

So hopefully once the oil pan is finished and I re-tap the rear coolant cross over pipe for the water temp sensor. Motor should drop back in and have less issues this time around, fingers crossed.
                  Good to see you got a new motor and keep the build going

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Car looks real good

Comment

Updates?
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Just read all 32 pages with my morning coffee: Damn you/thank you. Seriously, this build is inspirational, even if I never attempt a fraction of what you have. :up:

Comment

Bump
                          @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

We need updates please. I'm dying over here
                            1989 JDM-Tech 2
                            2010 335 D for daily

Comment

oil pan is low af. :0

Comment

Gathering up pics and uploading them to the flickr today. Took a good 7 week break from the e30 after dropping the m62 in, kind of lost motivation once I figured out why the m60 really blew up. Shit was pretty depressing actually once I saw why. Someone cross the oil lines; which I've spoke to another dude across country about prior to this happening (not sure if hes on r3v) and he warned me a while back to make sure they didn't get switched. Yep. Wasn't hydrolocking, oil pan baffle, loose bolt floating around in the motor, none of what I 'thought' it could have been.

Moral of the story; if someone hasn't ever done this type of swap or isn't familiar with these motors. Most likely you shouldn't let them work on your car it's a hard lesson learned that cost me a shitload more money and time.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Working...
                                X