'91 ix...figured I introduce myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 ix...figured I introduce myself

Guess I'll introduce my self to the community. I'm new to the e30 scene but not BMWs. I've always loved the e46's and that's mostly what I have and still own(e46 M3, e46 touring) the GF drives the touring and hates it, says she feels like a soccer mom in it..lol (yes I know she's out of her mind). So I picked up the e30 about 3 weeks ago, and since I have done a few things maintenance wise,

Done:
    Suspension- bilstein/H&R
    Break pads all around
    Spark plugs/wires
    Distributor cap/rotor
    Oil change

To do: got the parts but haven't had time

Water pump
    Timing belt
    Thermostat
    Coolant flush
    Fuel filter
    Break lines
    Fuel lines
    Fuel pump
    CAs
    Motor/tranny mounts
    There's more but can't remember right now..

Interior

Took interior out to clean

Installing suspension

Engine bay(needs to be cleaned)

Sent from my GS4 Active
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Very nice!
    Drive it like you just stole it! :p

Comment

Love that interior! Do you know when the timing belt was last done?

Comment

looks pretty straight and rust free! It's unfortunate how badly cosmoline stained the SterlingSilver engine bays though.. :(
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

me like alot!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Polaris15 View Post
            Love that interior! Do you know when the timing belt was last done?
            Polaris,
            thats the thing the PO said about 50k ago, but he did not have any proof, we all know how that goes.. this is why I haven't driven the car till I at least knock out the timing belt/water pump.

Comment

Nice clean car. Like the red interior.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                looks pretty straight and rust free! It's unfortunate how badly cosmoline stained the SterlingSilver engine bays though.. :(
                thanks,yea the hood foam to the touch is pretty nasty, at some point after cleaning the engine bay I will get a new hood foam pad.. is the foam pad suppose to be oily like mine is? does the pad come with cosmoline or do e30 engine bays get sprayed with it from the factory causing the engine to get yellow like that?
                Last edited by fresh_TD; 08-26-2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Nice!
                  sigpic

Comment

what to use for cleaning cosmoline?

in doing some research seems like Zymol Strik will get rid of the cosmoline in my engine bay, but thats at $36 for 8.5oz..anything else you guys recommend thats not so expensive that will get the job done?

Comment

Sweet.

Comment

Have that same suspension set up on my ix. I do love it so much, hope you will as well. Just watch that oil pan. A little drop is great, you just have to be vigalent about ground clearance now.
                        "just love those little tanky inline 6's"

Comment

Originally posted by gr8skyr View Post
                          Have that same suspension set up on my ix. I do love it so much, hope you will as well. Just watch that oil pan. A little drop is great, you just have to be vigalent about ground clearance now.
                          I like this car a lot.. I'm for sure going to install a skid plate on this car, don't want to crack the oil pan.. this going to be my DD and the M3 can sit in the garage.

Comment

very clean...very nice

Comment

Originally posted by gr8skyr View Post
                              really? it's only an inch. I never had any problems with H&R sports.. they basically put you at stock height of a standard E30.

ix oil pans don't hang out in front of the subframe like RWD E30s. I don't think you need a skid plate with H&R sports. lol

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
                              in doing some research seems like Zymol Strik will get rid of the cosmoline in my engine bay, but thats at $36 for 8.5oz..anything else you guys recommend thats not so expensive that will get the job done?
                              It won't work. I have the same paint - it will soften it a little bit, but basically it's part of the paint now. if you really try to clean it you'll take the paint with it. so I just left it alone. Zymol Strik was a bit of a waste of money.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X