No announcement yet.

SLC: 1989 Zinno coupe. Superlight, Super Functional *6spd swap inside*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny, after crawling around under my car I found out I have the same spring rates. Gc coils on stock perch locations, gc camber plates and rear shock mounts. But I want to be kind of low so my front konis are blown to shit. I've been looking into sectioning the front struts and welding some m3 sway bar tabs on, I think it'd be pretty beneficial.
    Hank Ahrens
    1984 Alpine Coupe
    1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      The reason most of the 24v cars sound like crap is the setup people make. Ive heard a LOT of different 24v setups and a lot dont sound too great, but look closer at what they built and its not surprise. Those who take time to build a proper system will reap the benefits of delicious exhaust noise.
      care to get into more detail with this?
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

it's been a minute since i posted a normal update. car has been running well and driving for almost a month. having issues passing the emissions sniffer test to get it registered so i have a few things to do to try and get that hammered out. not trying to type too much so i'll let the photos do the talking for the most part. overall the car feels and runs great, the powerband and responsiveness of the m50 with 6 gears behind it is phenomenal compared to the old m20 and 5 speed.

since the update i have installed my kooglewerks spoiler (still needs support rods), installed a new odyssey 680 and added a cutoff switch, and finished up the swap stuff and engine bay. also got my rewrapped mtech1 back from jordan at stitchedwheels.

Untitled by mitch allen, on Flickr

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
        IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

looks great! i'm jealous of the M50.

How long did the steering wheel take to get redone? What battery is that?

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
            looks great! i'm jealous of the M50.

How long did the steering wheel take to get redone? What battery is that?
            It was about 6 weeks from when I sent it out until it was back in my hands. It was only supposed to be 3 weeks but it took a bit longer than expected. I just borrowed a spare wheel from a friend to drive it until mine came back.

The battery is an odyssey PC680

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012

Comment

Very nice. I just put my ZF and stage 3 clutch together, z4 rear hubs, and 2.93 LSD. Waiting on few more parts to complete the rear 5 lug swap and big brake from e46.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post

Can you share some info around the deutsch connectors? Pins, tools used, etc. Where did you source them? Looks very clean.

Comment

also, when do we get to see this at a meet?

Comment

Originally posted by thedivision View Post
                    Can you share some info around the deutsch connectors? Pins, tools used, etc. Where did you source them? Looks very clean.
                    They are commonly used on heavy equipment because they're pretty much the most robust, easy maintenance connector available. I am a heavy equipment mechanic professionally so we have a big kit with various connectors, pins, and crimper at the shop that I used. They're fairly expensive (especially the crimper) to buy, so I'm not sure it would be worth it unless you had a lot of other stuff to use them on.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                      also, when do we get to see this at a meet?
                      Honestly I have no idea. It still hasn't passed emissions and I'm like a week over on my second temp tag. Life and weather are taking turns hosing me every time I try to get it done. I just bought a beater 540/6 to keep me busy so I'm probably one failed test away from parking the e30 until next spring when I can register it as vintage and tell the department of health to fuck off.

It's incredibly frustrating because I've put about 1000 miles on the car since the swap, and it's been running flawlessly for the past 400 or so. I took it the whole way around utah lake and back up to bountiful a week or two ago and it didn't care how hard I pushed it, it just wanted more. I was easily keeping pace with a Lightly modded e92 m3 the whole way too. It doesn't make sense why it won't pass anymore but I've done a lot of work since the last test so who knows, I might get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
                        Honestly I have no idea. It still hasn't passed emissions and I'm like a week over on my second temp tag. Life and weather are taking turns hosing me every time I try to get it done. I just bought a beater 540/6 to keep me busy so I'm probably one failed test away from parking the e30 until next spring when I can register it as vintage and tell the department of health to fuck off.

It's incredibly frustrating because I've put about 1000 miles on the car since the swap, and it's been running flawlessly for the past 400 or so. I took it the whole way around utah lake and back up to bountiful a week or two ago and it didn't care how hard I pushed it, it just wanted more. I was easily keeping pace with a Lightly modded e92 m3 the whole way too. It doesn't make sense why it won't pass anymore but I've done a lot of work since the last test so who knows, I might get lucky.
                        I feel your pain! I went in super excited to get my vintage plates about a month ago (had not registered it for about 2 years, still my daily) and they told me that even though it was an '88 it wasn't 30 year old? I got so mad i made a scene at the DMV and told everyone to go fuck themselves. Maybe a little dramatic, but i hate that type of shit, especially when you're not hurting anyone. no amount of smog testing will eliminate topographical map placement and being in a valley and all...

I would still like to see it some time. Hopefully it can be sorted soon. Too many M4, M3 & M2 yuppies at the meets these days.

Comment

car is finally registered. i think my emissions issues were due to dirty/sticky injectors or a bad blue top temp sensor. after replacing the sensor and installing a set of rebuilt injectors it passed with flying colors. been having some intermittent issues with clutch hydraulics that i need to sort out but other than that it's been great.

i also was able to borrow some corner balancing scales from a friend and finally weigh the car recently. weight came out to just over 2400 lbs with over 3/4 of a tank of gas, a spare tire in the trunk, and extra fluids in the trunk. so with all of the stuff in the trunk removed i would have been sub 2400, but the front/rear balance would have been further out. corner balance weight is damn near perfect though which got me stoked. i could also save about 40lbs or so of unsprung weight by going to a smaller and lighter wheel/tire setup but i can't give up the beef.

the photo with the glare and higher weight is with me in the car

here's one of the e30 with the e34 all torn apart. need to get going on that shit show soon too

Comment

Are you running 16x8 with 225s by chance? If so what is your offset?

Comment

Originally posted by masterofnone View Post
                              Are you running 16x8 with 225s by chance? If so what is your offset?
                              225/50r16 tires and 16x8 +15 wheels. My fenders are rolled and hammered out pretty good in the back for up travel space.

Comment

Gotcha, I will be running the same setup. Glad I didn’t go with ET10 it you are hitting with rolled/hammered fenders in the back.

The front is okay, doesn’t hit?

Comment

Working...
                                X