SLC: 1989 Zinno coupe. Superlight, Super Functional *6spd swap inside*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
    Nice! That actually looks just like the KAMotors intake. Is that just an eBay piece or something? It honestly looks identical.
    Yeah it's eBay. The filter element inside on kamotors' website looks different but I'm not sure if that's an older version or something. He says his are of higher quality than other eBay ones so maybe they are better ones that look the same, I'm not really sure.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
    IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

I used same intake off ebay. Paid like 38 or something shipped from China. It did work just great with my NA m52.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Comment

If you don't have abs why not use the e36 boot and airbox?
        We're out there in here.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDNUNTA View Post
          If you don't have abs why not use the e36 boot and airbox?
          Airboxes are big and ugly. The boot I have is basically a DIY e36 boot. Just silicone and brass instead of rubber and plastic

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012

Comment

Induction noise from a BMW I6 sounds better than exhaust noise anyway.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
              Induction noise from a BMW I6 sounds better than exhaust noise anyway.
              you only say that because turbo. a well running m20 is awesome

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                you only say that because turbo. a well running m20 is awesome
                Guess again! I'm pretty well versed in the sounds of BMW I6s. I tuned a healthy high compression NA M20 you may have seen on this forum just recently, the exhaust was raspy and overall meh aside from the overrun crackle, but the intake noise (when you can hear it, like on tip in) is mighty nice. Sounded better than a spec E30 car though, those sound like a civic with a couple of extra cylinders. A loud M5X powered track car I heard at Sebring fairly recently was one of the worst sounding cars I've ever heard in my life. I6 induction noise is good though, and should always be encouraged over loud exhaust. Funny enough, turbo M20 exhaust sounds way better than NA. The turbo takes the rasp out quite effectively and they tend to have a nice deep sound because of it, but turbo induction noise sounds pretty much the same no matter what configuration the engine is.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                  Guess again! I'm pretty well versed in the sounds of BMW I6s. I tuned a healthy high compression NA M20 you may have seen on this forum just recently, the exhaust was raspy and overall meh aside from the overrun crackle, but the intake noise (when you can hear it, like on tip in) is mighty nice. Sounded better than a spec E30 car though, those sound like a civic with a couple of extra cylinders. A loud M5X powered track car I heard at Sebring fairly recently was one of the worst sounding cars I've ever heard in my life. I6 induction noise is good though, and should always be encouraged over loud exhaust. Funny enough, turbo M20 exhaust sounds way better than NA. The turbo takes the rasp out quite effectively and they tend to have a nice deep sound because of it, but turbo induction noise sounds pretty much the same no matter what configuration the engine is.
                  I'm surprised a M5X was so terrible. I am leaning toward that for a swap... :(

I'd say it's time for me to do a valve adjustment though. My induction noise is minimal currently and i feel like that's becuase of the valve noise.

Comment

The US 24V motors do sound awful (among the worst sounding inline sixes around), but to say that an M20 exhaust doesn't sound good is blasphemy!

Comment

I’ve said this many times; when you have a m20 and put a s52 in it, it’s amazing. Then when you hear a muffler delete, leaking exhaust it sounds so much better than a swapped car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The reason most of the 24v cars sound like crap is the setup people make. Ive heard a LOT of different 24v setups and a lot dont sound too great, but look closer at what they built and its not surprise. Those who take time to build a proper system will reap the benefits of delicious exhaust noise.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

mounted the electric fan, wrapped the harness, and installed it. i haven't completed the wiring to the temp switch yet but i tested the fan via the manual override switch in the dash and it works great. i may upgrade to a curved blade fan with a higher cfm rating at some point but for now i will try this one. i used a switch blank to mount a toggle switch in the spot where the fog light switch used to be. i also wrapped the front end harness for the lights and what not. i used two deutsch connectors to split the wiring near the headlight on the driver side so the front clip can be removed without unhooking all of the wiring. i the third 2 terminal deutsch connector in the photo is for the temp switch wiring that isn't complete yet. while i was wrapping and slimming out the front end wiring i did some clean up. i removed all of the ABS wiring that has been hanging around since i deleted the abs two years ago, save for the stuff running to the rear end. i also removed all of the factory aux fan wiring since i am no longer going to need it. i am finally pretty close to having all of the unecessary wiring cut out. i have removed probably 20lbs+ of wiring alone from this car over the years.

Comment

I like the fan switch idea and placement. I have mine on all the time but I am planning to make a switch in the engine bay somewhere to have it off if I am doing tuning on position 2.

Comment

What spring rates are you running for your gc? What shocks and struts?
                              Hank Ahrens
                              1984 Alpine Coupe
                              1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
                                What spring rates are you running for your gc? What shocks and struts?
                                445f/650r

Koni SA yellow shocks front
                                Koni yellow nonadjustible shocks rear
                                Cut off factory front perches and used GC ones but did not shorten housings
                                "Silver project" polish/eBay front camber plates

Ride is stiff but solid and bearable. Body roll and overall handling is worlds better than the old Vogtland springs

Comment

Working...
                                X