Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Post, First E30!!

Hi everyone,
    After lurking on this site for some time and trying to find the right car I finally pulled the trigger on this clean 1991 318i with appx. 150k miles.

The car is in Diamantschwartz with a beige cloth interior, m42 engine and to my surprise, came equipped from the factory with the optional 4.10 LSD!! The car is a 5 speed with a new transmission and master cylinder just installed by the PO. The car does need some work but i am confident this forum can help me out.

Known Problems:
    The PO reports trouble holding idle and rough acceleration due to a vaccum leak. I plan to check the intak boot as well as the ICV and related hoses to try and fix this
    PO also reports leaking powersterring requiring a new rack. Can i just drive it like it is?
    There is some rust along the driver side fenders, including a nickel sized hole in the rear. I will try to stop the spread.
    One troubling thing is the guy doesent have much in the way of service records but the M42 has a timing chain which is a lifetime item and the water pump is fairly new.

The worst thing about this car is the interior.

I believe this was originally a pearlbeige cloth interior. the comfort seats are pretty chewed up but the fronts have covers. this will do in the short term but eventually i want to replace with sport seats.

My goal with this car is basically to build a "318is sedan" which didnt exist at the time. I already have the m42 and lsd so all i need is sport seats, suspension and some cosmetic stuff right?

Thanks for reading and Please chime in with your thoughts.

Comment

The exterior looks extremely clean. Congrats :)

Comment

Nice E30! Welcome :)

Comment

congrats buddy!
          sigpic
          TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
          FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Welcome. Enjoy the 318i!

Comment

A nice clay and wax will bring that paint back to life.

Comment

What do you all think about my plan to turn this into a 318is sedan? What would i need. Also how rare is the LSD on a 318i?

Comment

Well i got the car home today after a hell of trip. The car wouldnt idle because of a vaccum leak or ICV issue so it stalled at every light unless you stayed on the gas. There was not much power and the engine ran like crap. Also there was a horrible vibration everytime i got on the throttle in the 3k rpm range. i chalked it up to a worn center support bearing on the driveshaft.

Unfortunately the rest is worse than i thought and the paint is not as nice as the photos suggested. there is also a big crack in the windsheild. i was able to negotiate a $300 discount for these issues but its more work for me. I have ordered the driveshaft bearing and all new vaccum lines. I will attempt to clean the ICV because I don't want to shell out $150 for a new one.

How much would a professional rust repair cost? its limited the the lower edges of the rocker panels and fenders.

Comment

Keep trooling all your answers are here on this site!
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                    IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Nice car! Make sure you take good care of it... Yes you can drive with your powersteering leak.. I currently have no powersteering... Everything is still there in my car its just all the fluid is gone and the belt is off.. Sounds like a massive air leak... The hoses do get brittle over time... Just check it out thoroughly and fix it right... Take you time w these bimmers.. Congrats on ur purchase and welcome to the forums!

Comment

Welcome aboard! I've got a lot of love for your car. But I'm partial.

Honestly, when I had *just* gotten my stock DS 91' 318i, I was the happiest 17 yo in the world.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                        1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                        2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

This post is all you require. Read it, live it. Be the ball Danny.

Comment

Working...
                          X