No announcement yet.

New Project: '91 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I certainly didn't want to find a "running" cleanish donor car but nothing else was coming up so if somebody wants to give me cash for a 300k mile, barely running and shifting auto sedan by all means show up with a donor car and it's yours. I could go to upull it, (thanks for the info, RobDog) but I need the cars side by side in order to properly measure and swap parts back and forth. The donor isn't ideal but it is what it is I suppose.

There is also the fact that there is a fair amount of damage to the 318 but I think the design of the unibody over-exaggerates the repair. On other unibody vehicles I've had past i could have bolted in a new cross-member and rad support and been done. I'm not so fortunate here but the goal was trying to save this 318. They are hard to come by here and they command a premium. I'm hoping to fix this to where I can hardly tell (grind welds, bodywork the engine bay, paint, etc.) and get an otherwise well running and driving car back on the road for a very cheap cost. Obviously many of you don't agree and maybe it will or won't work out in the end but I'd like to try.
    Gabe
    '91 318is

Comment

I think to get the best result you're going to have to cut off everything from the firewall forward and weld on an entire front clip. I had an '87 325is that was hit on the driver's side front and only bent the rad support, but as I looked closer the entire driver's side of the car was tweaked, and there were spot welds on the firewall that had failed, which allowed the wheel/strut housing to separate. Unfortunately e30s are pretty weak where the firewall, A-pillar, and door hinge meet, and I bet that if you inspect that area on your car you're not going to like what you see. I wouldn't start cutting the donor until you've stripped the 318 for a full inspection of what's damaged.

Of course it's your time and money, but I'll reiterate my advice and tell you that if you want to save it, you're in for many hours of time consuming work and headaches. I'm a welder, so from my point of view that's the easy part, but spending all that time stripping both cars and prepping everything and hoping I get everything aligned perfectly just makes my head spin. Frankly, I think it's a huge waste to sacrifice a clean car for it just because you want a coupe. Be patient and something will turn up that. If you think it's hard to find clean e30s in NM, then move the rust belt...
      Last edited by E30 Wagen; 04-03-2014, 08:55 AM. Reason: grammar
      My Feedback

Comment

Solid advice, Sir. I will check out those areas you specified for a closer inspection. I am almost to the point of no return. I haven't cut anything yet but I've dismantled both cars to equal state. I'll give it some more thought and inspection before I take the dive.
        Gabe
        '91 318is

Comment

Working...
        X