New Member's 86 325e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member's 86 325e

Hello All! New member here and new to the BMW forums as well to the car itself. I have always had a strong desire for a classic E30 and finally had the opportunity to purchase one. Found here is an 86 325e in mint condition for the most part. Stock everything just the way i wanted it and clean, super clean!

The car came from Cali with a stopped odometer at 145xxx miles and is estimated to have around 160xxx today, which from what i understand is pretty low for this car it runs very strong and the 5 speed shifts very smooth and strong. No clanks or ticking coming from the engine, it runs quite and smooth.

The car came with a book of receipts and was well maintained. kept completely stock! the only thing i have done so far is delete the resonator and cat and put a 2.5in custom bent exhaust from the headers back to a 3in magnaflow muffler. It does not throw a CEL and gives the car a nice deep tone and not raspy.

The only things wrong with the car are minor from my understanding and any input is great. My Main seal seems to be leaking, but is so small it doesn't even drip on the driveway. and the car seems to idle a little high around 900 but more like 1000 when its warmed up but its not too obnoxious. The radio is sitting in the back seat and i have a bundle of wires i don't know what to do with, ill probably take it to a stereo shop. and lastly the rear strut mount in the driver side rear sounds like it needs replacing according to my research, it makes a very slight noise when you come to a stop or over a speed bump but is really slight, not as bad as what ive read on others. Other than that the car is amazing and is actually fairly quick considering its an E type, i really enjoy the momentum driving and how light it is. This car serves as my daily so here is a few pictures that barely do it justice.

And here is a quick picture of my weekend getter, ill post more details about her later. but how many know what it is?

Comments welcome, i look forward to hearing from everyone!

92x. looked for one for a long time. hard to find the right combo locally.

Comment

Great color OP.

Our similar experience with an '86 e is vacuum leaks around the intake, the intake elbow, all the vac lines, and then the idle control valve, which usually causes the odd idle. It can be cleaned and tested, but at that age it's worth just getting a new one.

Also, search here for posts by Jim Levie - tons of info.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
        Great color OP.

Our similar experience with an '86 e is vacuum leaks around the intake, the intake elbow, all the vac lines, and then the idle control valve, which usually causes the odd idle. It can be cleaned and tested, but at that age it's worth just getting a new one.

Also, search here for posts by Jim Levie - tons of info.
        Thanks for the info, I will deffinately look into that, my intake boot looks to be in good condition, but now that you mention it I do hear a slight hissing sound maybe a vac leak somewhere? Where exactly should I look for common areas?

Comment

nice Saab, theres one of those around town here.

i have no idea what i am doing with my life

Comment

Originally posted by swifthirty86 View Post
            ... but now that you mention it I do hear a slight hissing sound maybe a vac leak somewhere? Where exactly should I look for common areas?
            Any of the vac lines and connections around the intake and head, intake gaskets, valve cover gasket & rubber plugs, PCV, intake boot, ICV hoses, brake booster hose connections, etc.

A shop can do a smoke test to find leaks, or you can search for how to make your own from a paint can and a small compressor.

Also, search Jim Levie posts.

Comment

Nice Saabaru! I was looking at those but decided on it's older brother - the Legacy GT wagon - instead

Comment

I was about to say, isn't that a saabaru. Nice e30!

Comment

Appreciate it! Ill look into the idle issue soon and most likely do a smoke test, I'm currently re surfacing and finishing all the rubber and plastic pieces around the bumpers, the back side is complete. I will post some before and after

Comment

some recent pictures! got the yellow headlight overlays on!

Comment

New Updates

Hey all did a couple upgrades over the past couple weeks.
                      -Put on a new dual Magnaflow muffler
                      -Front Bilstein sport inserts
                      -H&R super sport springs
                      -new rear upgraded strut mounts (I need new struts in the rear. the passenger side top thread is crossthreaded and the top nut wont go down all the way, anyone got any spares for sale?)

Anyway here is some pics, you can see the difference in the old pics above.

I'm happy with the drop and it rides really smooth other than the strut in the back but let me know what you guys think!

Comment

my first e30 was the same color, i loved it!
                        clean looking car man.
                        WTB:m60b40 in PNW
                        Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                        92 525it 5 speed.
                        80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Originally posted by FireFight View Post
                          my first e30 was the same color, i loved it!
                          clean looking car man.
                          Thanks man i appreciate it! i havent seen many in this color before. Is it somewhat of a rare color?

Comment

love the color. what is it called?
                            91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
                            ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Do you by chance live in the marietta/kennesaw area? I swear some friends and I looked at that house in your first post. Nice looking car! Any other plans for it?

Comment

Working...
                              X