No announcement yet.

My Slick Top :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you buy the car for an investment? Your car is getting very collectible and is really clean but some tasteful mods won't lower the value of it, particular if you keep the old stuff.

I'm in a similar boat as you with "shaved" items on my M3. I feel that part does hurt the value of the car but they are not easily reversible if done properly. So, with this point, I'd suggest tailoring it to your liking with simple, reversible mods. I really don't think lowering the car with good bits would hurt resale. If anything, it would make it more presentable to many in the market. Nice car and good luck.
    Gabe
    '91 318is

Comment

And a skid plate for sure, the oil sump sits even lower than the m20s making it a prime target for getting smashed in regardless of your decision to go low or not

Comment

Originally posted by blizake500 View Post
        Ok thanks for the input. Yea when I saw this car I couldn't beleive how clean it was. I don't even want to drive it anymore it's so freaking clean! But yea I was thinking Mtech 2 wheel also. Should I even drop the car? Or should I just put bilstein hd's on it and call it a day? Or should I actually lower it? I know that's a big wheel gap but the car is so clean I don't know if I wanna mess with it.
        Depends if you like how the car handles or not. If you like it as it is now, may as well leave it alone.

I don't know how much lower the M42 oil pan is, but I've never had a problem with my oil pan (or anything else) scraping on my car w/ M20 and H&R Race springs. It sits about 4-4.5" off the ground at the crossmember IIRC.

Comment

Ok cool. Thanks for giving me some great advice. Still weighing out my options

Comment

If i didn't lower the car what are the the best shocks to put on the car?

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum_E30 View Post
              The stock radiator is crap, the m42 will over heat during in town driving and standing traffic situations. In my opinion if the conversion is done well, it will look factory. You could also keep the old radiator and the one hose that needs to be replaced if you were ever to consider selling.
              Please don't listen to Maximum_E30.

I have had three 318iS cars, and an s52 car, all running the m42 radiator. Not a single one had issues with cooling and we often had 110 degree days. Keep the stock radiator. It promotes plenty of cooling as it is.

You think BMW didn't know what they were doing when they designed this car?
              world renown Harry Potter expert
              sigpic

Comment

Just trying to help a guy out by sharing the knowledge I've gained through owning my 1991 318is. You don't have to do anything to your rig blizake500

Comment

I drive the car 7 hours back after I bought it. Temp gauge didn't move on me once. Until it does then I will be thinking about another radiator

Comment

Bought a new steering wheel for her today! 370mm Mtech 2. Grabbed it for 80 bucks off craigslist. It has no leather but I'm going to get Stitched to Rewrap it for me with extra padding for the thicker feel.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Soo cleean! (wipes drool)

Im on B&G 2in lowering springs, and the oil pan is loww.
                      Im on the constant lookout for pot holes/road imperfections, avoiding speed bumps, and going .25mph up and down driveways/parking lots.

Its kind of a pain, but I personally wouldnt have it any other way.

If you do lower it, seriously consider a skid plate.

My vote: Drop it.

Skid Plate/Oil pan clearance for reference.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by CaliDazze; 02-23-2015, 07:35 PM. Reason: I have no idea what Im doing...

Comment

Just read you wanted to paint the intake manifold and valve cover.

Black looks nice. ; ) You can check out my Member Rides post for a pic.

Comment

Ok thanks a lot! I'm guessing I should just go with plain black leather for the steering wheel...

Comment

ZHP shift knob, IE Springs and Billys, Euro Grilles, Skid Plate !
                            1991 318i - T-Boned
                            1987 325is - Sold
                            1991 318is - Current

Comment

Working...
                            X