So here it is.... an E30 M3 for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here it is.... an E30 M3 for me!

Well, what can i say?! Have always wanted an E30 M3 but for one reason or another i've not bought one until now.
    Kind of missed the boat when sensible priced ones were the norm so fast forward to now and the opportunity of one came up as the long term owner (more on that later) had laid the car up for some time and had finally decided to part with it.

Built in Feb 1987 and oddly first registered as an original UK car in Jan 1988 supplied by MLG Chiswick in London as a completely basic spec car.

S300A Emergency spare wheel
    L812A NATIONAL VERSION GREAT BRITAIN
    S850A Additional Export tank filling
    S853A Language version English
    S860A Additional turn indicator lamp

So that means non sunroof and manual windows, coupled with the non metalic Alpine white paint makes it all most "motorsport light weight" drivers spec!

Possible goes some way to explain why it remained unsold for nearly a year?

The car has remained a London car all its life as the original owner from Harlesden in North London sold it when it was 5 months old to the guy i bought it from who came from Fulham, SW London so its virtually a one owner car, all most unheard of with E30 M3's and pretty incredible that he owed it for 27 years!

Mileage is 174k which is high'ish for one of these but for what i have planned for the car it does not matter... more on that later.

So - some pics!

It is pretty rough around the edges to be honest but most importantly of all is its not a troweled up shiny snotter like quite a few E30 M3's are now and its honest with what looks to be all original paint.
    Being a non sunroof car means one less potential rust area to worry about and after a look over the car on the ramp and dropping the knee roll and glove box, the bulk head look to be ok.

The scuttle is solid but has these bubble which will grow a bit when ground back.

As you can see the engine bay is very scabby and unsightly but it would not take much effort to improve this for the time being.

No big fist holes in the inner rear arches which is nice and surprisingly both the boot and interior remain damp free, no condensating up, no mould or anything and it has been outside for sometime!

The worst bits! Clearly the square lifting pads have succumbed to tin worm at some point and some craftsman has patched them up no doubt for a MOT. Nasty!

Hence my wanted ad for donor front floor sections.

Oddly, the front seats have been replaced. The original trim is Country "houndstooth" but the fronts are now a pair of Uberkaro RHD seats from a cabrio.

Maybe there were some bucket type seats at some point and the current pair were chucked in to replace them at some point?

Other non original items include the 16" BBS black centred wheels from a Ceccotto edition M3 and some Bilstein B8 shocks and eibach springs. Bonus!

There also looks to be a recent replacement genuine rear silencer and front calipers.

So where does that leave me?

Obviously the car needs a bare shell resto and the long term plan is to do just that but i do not want to steam staight into that without actually enjoying the car and forming a bond with it, something that needs to happen for spending thousands of pound and hours turning it into something that will last.

So, the plan is to make it safe, reliable and get it through an MOT so i can use it as a daily, yes that's right a daily as well as get a bit of track time.

I need to pull my finger out as well because i am off to the Ring with this in 8 weeks! 8O

Soooo, after a mooch round it again today the list of things to do to get it usable are,

New pads and discs
    All new handbrake hardware
    Braided brake hose kit
    Drop links all round
    Rear axle bushes
    A pair of wish bones
    Rear top mounts
    A pair of track rods
    Replace all fuel hoses
    Replace both belts
    Inspection 2 including all fluids
    Refurb injectors
    New battery
    Weld front floors
    New oil cooler pipes as they are crusty and the last thing i want is it dumping all its oil on Track at the ring as thats not cheap!

Hopefully most of this will be done in the next week or two.

So there it is, a scabby but solid, virtually one owner UK M3 and all for the price of a "nice" 325i Sport! :D

If that mileage is in Miles and not Kilometers, I'd drop your oil pan and inspect rod & main bearings. I'd also add an oil pan baffle if you plan on driving/tracking for a bit prior to embarking on a restoration.

The mark in the passenger (right) side rear quarter panel is curious - has that side been worked previously?

Congratulations on the acquisition, enjoy!
    -Chris
    Below the radar...

Comment

Yes it would be prudent to inspect the bottom end bearings prior to hard use. I think the engine has been apart at some stage, will need to look into this some more and yet they are miles not KM's.

If you mean the scratch inside the rear quarter above the petrol flap locking motor, that has corroded then i cant say how that has happened. There are no other signs of body repair or accident damage.

Comment

Originally posted by BSS View Post
        Built in Feb 1987 and oddly first registered as an original UK car in Jan 1988 supplied by MLG Chiswick in London as a completely basic spec car.

S300A Emergency spare wheel
        L812A NATIONAL VERSION GREAT BRITAIN
        S850A Additional Export tank filling
        S853A Language version English
        I don't understand why it's left hand drive then.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
          I don't understand why it's left hand drive then.
          All e30 m3 made were left hand drive. Bmw never offered right drive e30 m3.
          Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

^Ive learned something new today. Hope youre able to clean this one up OP!

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Nice! Always had a super soft spot for an e30 m3, just the ones that I could afford would require more money to fix up than I have to spend on a car.
              sigpic
              87 325e DD--93 318is s50--07 3.0 X5 wifes

Comment

If it was mine I would be so exited just to see it just parked there but depressed to see the rust and engine bay. Hopefully its surface rust

Comment

Has its issues as stated but for 325is money I would say you did well. Congrats.

The Build:
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

these cars have reached true classic status, getting your hands one one is never a bad idea.

I'm not meaning to bust your balls, but that car requires a considerable amount of attention to ensure long term enjoyment, the mileage might not have been the only reason why it wasn't grabbed up earlier.

Also: I was always under the impression that power window have always been standard on the m3? Does anyone know for sure?

-chris

Early 323i
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=214425
                    320i V8 Swap
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=345807
                    M3
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=310470

Comment

Welcome to R3V, god will be happy that you saved one of his chariots. Fingers crossed the rust isn't to bad for you.
                      sigpic
                      Rescued 1986 325e Coupe
                      1988 325ix Touring 5spd currently being rescued
                      Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :finger:

Comment

mmm euro goodness. Looks like a good project! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by evil-diesel View Post
                          Also: I was always under the impression that power window have always been standard on the m3? Does anyone know for sure?
                          Only in 'Merica, along with A/C.
                          Too bad they didn't know about the Big-Gulp, they could have put in a cup holder....
                          Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
                            All e30 m3 made were left hand drive. Bmw never offered right drive e30 m3.
                            Except for 2 made for the Japanses market for a couple of veeeeeeeery wealthy businessmen...
                            Originally posted by LJ851
                            kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                            ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                            #teamross
                            Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Looks like a really great find for the price. I especially love the slicktop and manual windows, definitely the kind of project e30 M3 I wish I could find someday.
                              My Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X