My "Great White Buffalo" restoration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goskidmark View Post
    That's a clever idea! My wife bought me my press from Summit, It was just over $100, but the part is so oblong I was only able to press out my sub frame bushings with it. I'm glad you posted that picture. Thank you.
    I don't have my impact gun here. It's in Oklahoma, along with my other tools. I won't be going back there for another year, so I will have to pick another one up to get those bolts loose.
    Yeah you just have to go slowly as to not strip the all-thread. I found doing a turn or two, drinking some beer in between and repeating worked quite well haha!

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Car is coming along nicely. Where did you order your seat covers from?
      Last edited by Julien; 12-07-2015, 11:02 AM.
      Build Threads:
      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

I'd say skip fancy bleed screws. Use OEM. Instead get a pressure bleeder!
        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
          Car is coming along nicely. Where did you order your seat covers from?
          Thank you. NineStitch made them for me. I still have to do the front sport seats when I rebuild them.

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
          I'd say skip fancy bleed screws. Use OEM. Instead get a pressure bleeder!
          The "Fancy" bleed screws will be installed so that when I bleed the system myself with a pressure bleeder there will be zero back flow.

Comment

New Trailing Arm bushings installed. Finally...
            I used this big C-clamp to press the support rod through the bushings. No hammers necessary like that "Bavauto" guy uses in the Youtube video.

And the other side:

There are instructions for which sides go where on the Powerflex website. A and B have different thickness which threw me off for a bit. Condor bushings install in reverse to these, so don't be fooled by that google image it throws up for reference. EDIT: Install these the same as the condor bushings! I was wrong... so was Powerflex. Fat bushings go on the outsides, not the insides.

When parts come in I will continue to update. My Diff cover has been on back order for ever, so I will be patching the body and finishing the interior.
            Last edited by goskidmark; 01-24-2016, 07:17 PM. Reason: I was wrong.

Comment

No back flow when pressurized!

Brakes look good. I need to do this.
              ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                No back flow when pressurized!

Brakes look good. I need to do this.
                Well then I might just skip on the speed bleeders. The calipers are pretty simple in design, but the most time consuming part is cleaning them.

Comment

Originally posted by goskidmark View Post
                  Found these next to the front passenger headlight just sitting next to the air-conditioning hard line. Time to find out what they are, and where they need to be.
                  I didn't see anyone else answer your earlier question...hope you figured it all out. Those three wires belong in the fanstat plug on the passenger side of the radiator. The plug usually dissolves, leaving those three wires just dangling. If they're not connected, the only way you can get the aux fan running (on low speed) is to press the A/C switch.

Great work so far, thanks for sharing. I love that digital and bar readout newly embedded in the gauge cluster. Very subtle, almost looks OEM!
                  sigpic
                  Save the manuals!
                  '91 318i
                  '86 635CSi

Comment

Originally posted by DesktopDave View Post
                    I didn't see anyone else answer your earlier question...hope you figured it all out. Those three wires belong in the fanstat plug on the passenger side of the radiator. The plug usually dissolves, leaving those three wires just dangling. If they're not connected, the only way you can get the aux fan running (on low speed) is to press the A/C switch.

Great work so far, thanks for sharing. I love that digital and bar readout newly embedded in the gauge cluster. Very subtle, almost looks OEM!
                    Holy crap! Thank you sir! I was digging through diagrams a few weeks back and still could not find what those were for. No wonder why my aux fan does NOT turn on. Thanks DesktopDave!

Comment

Getting diry with the E30.

I was messing around with my fuel door that won't stay shut, and I pulled this out. Time for another Pelican order.

The seal kit came in for the diff. Just remember to replace one side at a time, or you'll be punching things. The jug has a small amount of gasoline in it to clean parts. Don't use mechanics rags like you see here to clean these parts. I will be cleaning them over again with lint free rags to get the red crap off of them.

150,000 miles on the odometer. Yeah right. This is more around the 210,000 range. Notice the wear groove in the center. This diff was never filled enough to prevent this. This means the previous owner never gave a shit about the leak. It's not too bad, but it could have been prevented. No worries though, I got this.

There was build up in the threads of the top left two which means water and other crap settled in. It's possible that they were not torqued correctly, or they backed out over years of bumps, and a slew of other possibilities if someone already did this job.

EDIT: The torque for the Axel Bearing Caps are 16-19 Ft·Lbs. It's not written in the Bentley repair manual.
                      Last edited by goskidmark; 12-11-2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

If your fuel door doesnt shut still, try flipping the spring on the door....works for the e36 as well
                        1997 Artic Silver M3
                        CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Originally posted by BMWManiac View Post
                          If your fuel door doesnt shut still, try flipping the spring on the door....works for the e36 as well
                          I will give that a try. Thank you for the tip.

Comment

Still waiting on the diff cover.

So this came in the mail. I will see how it holds up in the washer.

This Monday I will be putting together the sport seats along with my NineStitch covers. I will post pictures. I will also attempt to dye the carpet. This should be fun.

Wednesday my parts to pull the rest of my subframe bushings out will be here and I can finally put the new bushings in after I paint it.
                            Last edited by goskidmark; 12-14-2015, 12:55 PM. Reason: Shipping woes.

Comment

Fun times.

I have been wrestling around with the rear subframe bushings for a quite a while. I managed to press out the middle portion of the bushing but the collar is stuck like chuck. I tried the gear puller method which pulled it out about a quarter of an inch and then the tabs gave way and started bending up and the puller lost grip.

Get out you piece of crap!

I had a guy weld this up for me to press this these bastards out.

It turns out it's too long for my bench press. So I will be cutting it tomorrow down to size and breaking things in the process.

I might end up buying the removal tool. I called numerous shops around where I live, and no one could do it.
                              Last edited by goskidmark; 12-18-2015, 05:36 PM. Reason: Errors.

Comment

I had a few minutes in between my son's birthday and clean up to throw some new fabric over the rear speaker shelf.

It's a slow process waiting for the brushed fabric glue to dry, to be able to move on to the next step. I was going to use a spray glue, but shipping on my cans was pushed back. The fabric is very thin, so I will spray it with a clear UV protection when it's completed.

Comment

Working...
                                X