1968 Florida 1600 Restoration Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
    Hey Simon, come save me from myself and let's get burritos together.
    I might have time Friday afternoon? Good way to kick off the weekend???
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      I might have time Friday afternoon? Good way to kick off the weekend???
      yes
      world renown Harry Potter expert
      sigpic

Comment

I've been enjoying the car this last week, after we got the newly rebuilt carb on. I haven't done much work on it, but I'm going now to get maintenance and wear items so I can do the work myself throughout the next week. Things like belts, valve adjustment, valve cover gasket, distributor cap, plugs, plug wires, oil filter, oil, trans fluid, LSD install, rear subframe with adjustable camber/toe, fresh rear brakes, etc.

I haven't done any of these things and even though I've only driven the car maybe 300 miles since I became it's caretaker, I want to get a solid baseline and keep a notebook on maintenance and dates. I bought a 2002 with a very detailed notebook once and I appreciated the hell out of knowing it's history and mileage and dates when things were changed or underwent some kind of work. I will continue that trend on all of my cars.

A few days back I met up with a buddy with a stock 1600 NK and we did a little bit of buffing on the upper half of the car. We drank beer and hung out and then he took photos. It was cool.

It runs great. I'm debating throwing the 292 cam, and the full exhaust on since they would cost me nothing at this point, but I'm also afraid that it'll slow me down on the turbo plan, since it will be "good enough" to putt around town in.
        sigpic

Comment

It runs great. I'm debating throwing the 292 cam, and the full exhaust on since they would cost me nothing at this point, but I'm also afraid that it'll slow me down on the turbo plan, since it will be "good enough" to putt around town in.

Ryan, you nailed the look on this car. I love it.

Are you still on a single barrel carb with this beauty? If so, i would put a two barrel carb on loooonng before a 292 cam or exhaust system.
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
            Ryan, you nailed the look on this car. I love it.

Are you still on a single barrel carb with this beauty? If so, i would put a two barrel carb on loooonng before a 292 cam or exhaust system.
            Thanks Lorin. I really really like this car. It has the right amount of everything. I'm even content with its stock power. It's so smooth and slow. But you know, power is nice too.

It took me 4 single-barrel solex carbs to rebuild a single good one. That's what is currently on it now. I like the characteristics of this carb. It's great for the motor and it's buttery smooth. I hear what you're saying though.
            sigpic

Comment

Do a 292 and some weber 40's. That would be fun.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

looks great! I def want one like yours one day.
                91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
                ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                  Do a 292 and some weber 40's. That would be fun.
                  This might be the route I take for the 1600. Or maybe not, haven't decided yet.

Originally posted by animal View Post
                  looks great! I def want one like yours one day.
                  That would be cool.

Just sent these in for sandblasting/ceramic coating. I have two sets of the IE Alpina/Supersprint reproduction/prototype headers and one set of a european-spec 1600 exhaust manifold (flows better than the US-variant). The 1600 manifold will go onto the 1600 car with a new set of BMW stock exhaust system, and the "Tri-Y" Alpina reps will probably go into storage for another project. I also have two sets of IE's SS roundie exhaust system. I'd like to put a set of those on the 1600 but with a 1.6L engine, I'm afraid that 2" would take away too much back pressure from the small motor. But then again, with the choked down set of webers, the 292 cam, the 123 dizzy, it might just be enough to push it to justification for the 2" SS system from IE.

For those in the know, I appreciate your thoughts on this scenario.

sigpic

Comment

Visited the Florida car today to check out the paint. The buffing is almost done, so I opted to snap a few shots.

Might be the owner of an early 911 tomorrow-ish, so I need to make room for that.

On to photos:

sigpic

Comment

love both your cars.. really neat and clean and not over the top.
                      Boris - 89 E30 325i
                      84- E30 323i

Comment

Love your cars man. Show us the 911 when you get it ;)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

The Florida turned out nice but personally I like the other green better. I still think your blue one was the best E10 out there, may it rest in piece. But these two are turning out pretty exceptional. I look forward to the progress.
                          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

might be the owner of an early 911 tomorrow-ish, so i need to make room for that.
                            :o
                            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I'm not out of the woods with the 911 yet.

The seller promised it to another buyer but I showed up with cash today and made a solid effort in explaining why I should be the next owner of that car. I am at the seller's discretion should he change his mind.

I was hoping that cash would persuade him but he's the original owner of this car and a rather wealthy man, so cash doesn't do anything to favor my position. However, I have hope.

I will continue to try. I thought I had this purchase in the bag, but now I have to really work for it.

It's not even the greatest 911 either. But I like it and would be happy to call it mine.
                              sigpic

Comment

Fresh sandblasting and Ceramic coating has been completed.

For the 1600 cast iron manifold, I went with a dark grey-ish color for Ceramic.

For the two sets of three-piece Tri-Y headers, I went with two variations of silver. One is very flat, and the second has more of that metallic sheen. Both ceramic. I like the dull color the most at the present time. I'm giving one set away as a gift so I'll probably keep the dull silver set.

and a full trunk of exhaust stuff. I have the two sets of stainless roundie exhausts from IE at home as well.

More exciting news on the Porsche front. Came across an 83 SC in Guards Red that I have been offered. It's not for sale, but the owner liked the 72 2002 so we started talking. Next thing I know he wants me to see his car collection and with any luck, I'll meet his daughter. I hate Red on 911s but it will need some aesthetic work, so a color change isn't something I'd feel bad about.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X