Snagged One!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snagged One!

I've been searching for awhile for an e30 to play around with and build. Not my first project car but first BMW. She's a little rough around the edges but runs strong.. I'll be bringing her back to glory after spending a little time in the FAQ sections. The sun roof is jammed and leaks (kind of scared of whats waiting for me there. And I need all new weather stripping before i get to any of the real fun stuff.

This will be my learning/test bed. I'll be learning to weld and do body work with this car so it'll be good time, some alcohol required. Wish Me Luck

More Pics!!

-Currently looking for some parts
    -- IS lip
    --Euro Grills
    --Tail Lights (mine are cracked)
    --Fog lights
    --Interior roof lights (side dome lights?)
    Last edited by Blake B; 09-27-2015, 07:40 AM.
    1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Sweet find , 325i or 318i ?
    1990 Alpine 325is
    1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by BECKSTER View Post
      Sweet find , 325i or 318i ?
      325is

Any tips and/or pointers as to getting the sun roof open, I'll take them, ha! I can hear the motor turn on and crank but it seems to be jammed or stuck shut
      1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

Nice find! She just need some love. I'm looking to sell my foglights...hmm..offer?
        Our RestoMod Diary!

El Mustache De La Resistance!

Comment

Originally posted by Blake B View Post
          325is

Any tips and/or pointers as to getting the sun roof open, I'll take them, ha! I can hear the motor turn on and crank but it seems to be jammed or stuck shut
          There are three Torx bolts on each side to remove the whole panel without goofing anything up. Here's the website with good pictures. http://bmwe30love.blogspot.com/2011/...g-sunroof.html

Comment

Welcome! Always happy to see another E30 get adopted. They're lovely cars. We'll need more pics though.

I've had a bunch of problems with sunroofs, but they're pretty simple. You might have to remove the cover and use the hex key 'crank' to open the roof manually. If it's not in the toolkit (yeah, I know, they're all missing like in every other E30) I think it's a 3mm. It goes in the center shaft of the large gear.

Once you get the roof about halfway open, you can gently pull the lower cover off the front lip of the roof panel. Slide that back & put the roof forward again. The torx screws are easy to get at if you have a flex-shaft screwdriver. Be careful taking them out, the brass inserts tend to spin in the plastic slider rails.
            sigpic
            Save the manuals!
            '91 318i
            '86 635CSi

Comment

I really appreciate the feedback. I've been lurking on here for about 6mos and figured that standing on the shoulders of the giants would allow me to get this car where I'd want it to be fairly quick.

As for more pictures. I need to figure out how to re-size them as their too large to attach and I hate photobucket.
              1990 325i Cashmere Beige

Comment

pics added to the first post!
                1990 325i Cashmere Beige

Comment

Slowly saving for trim and other parts. I now have a massive oil leak It appears to be coming from the front cover. I noticed it Thursday, just a few drops in the driveway. This morning it was a constant drip after dropping my son off. :-x so she sits until this weekend.

I did get some sticker action going however to hold me over
                  Last edited by Blake B; 10-12-2015, 09:40 AM.
                  1990 325i Cashmere Beige

Comment

Oil leaks are nooo fun.
                    Hank Ahrens
                    1984 Alpine Coupe
                    1978 911sc

Comment

M20s just leak. It's their thing, at least if they have some miles on them. Most of the time it's the valve cover gasket or the oil pan gasket. Could be camshaft seals or rocker plugs. Who knows?

It's generally not a big deal unless you're fuckin' dumping oil all over your driveway or losing a quart really quickly. Just top it off. Changing your viscosity might help and getting all your seals and gaskets checked and replaced will make a big difference. Mine leaks a drop, but I'm replacing all the gaskets I can on Thursday, so we'll see what happens.

Welcome to the party.
                      "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
                      The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

I haven't gotten back out there to investigate but it looks like it's leaking from the head in the front. I can handle a little leakage but this is like a trail leaving as I back out of the driveway leak.

It doesn't leak when its off and not running. I was told the motor was rebuilt recently and it runs strong. The plugs look new, the the motor is (was?) fairly clean. I wonder if they cheaped out on the gaskets.

Regardless, after I look again in the morning it'll be time to make a decision, if it is the head-- do i want to rebuild? Find a 2.7l seta? Go m30? possibly go 32v?!?! I'm currently researching and deciding what I want out of the car.
                        1990 325i Cashmere Beige

Comment

Originally posted by Blake B View Post
                          I haven't gotten back out there to investigate but it looks like it's leaking from the head in the front. I can handle a little leakage but this is like a trail leaving as I back out of the driveway leak.

Camshaft front seal or rocker plugs. Let's hope it's the rocker plugs as they're very simple. Camshaft seal will require a timing belt job to freshen it up.

Comment

oil pressure switchs can go and cause major leaks as well.
                            1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                            1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                            1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                            1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
                              oil pressure switchs can go and cause major leaks as well.
                              DING DING! You were right. in combination with the front of the valve cover leaking, the OPS was loose. I tightened it back up and we're leak free. send me an address and I'll send you cookies or donuts of your choice (seriously).

Since she runs like a top, I'm starting to work on her appearance a bit. Ordered new bumper trim and fog lenses "IS" lip and euro grills. Also i'll be sanding the battery tray and painting it to stop any further rust.

anyone know where i can get new headliner? I'll be tackling the sunroof soon.

and of course, complementary pictures

And the squirrel that greats me everyday after work.
                              1990 325i Cashmere Beige

Comment

Working...
                              X