• Time
  • Show
Clear All

sold some .. bought one

Time for an update

After selling my corrado with only 709km in 25 years

and my beloved little but fast e30 2.7

I started looking for the needle in a haystack .. a well maintained e36 m3

First visit was looking at an original dutch 3 liter car .. but I already knew by seeing the car that they are often describes much better than they really are .. So I didn't buy that one

I left the most frequented selling sites for what they where and decided to look at the French market

Second contact was for a blue evolution 3.2 car in toulouse france .. but after my question to the seller to show me evidence of all the work that he said was done in the add .. it was very quite at his side .. left that car also

On a sunday mid august a red 3 liter car popped up on the net .. directly contacted the seller and het patiently awneserd all my questions .. I requested some more pictures of the car which he had no problem with .. I arranged an apointment for the next week to go look at the car in the south of france near bordaux (1150km from where I live)

The next day do I received an call from the seller to appologise but his wife was no longer ok with selling the car (they got married in this m3) so the sale was cancelled :nah

Overlooked the french site again and saw a silver 3.2 m3 that had my intrest but all cars that came after the red one felt like second choice .. I was still dessapointed but had no other option that to contact the seller of the 3.2 car near paris .. arranged an appointment for thursday the 13th to go see the car
    Cash in my pocket My ///M buddy and I left for Paris at 9 am in the morning to arrive 100km south of Paris to see how much pictures can be wrong .. this car was parked outside .. all window rubbers where gone .. the paint was not OK so another dissapointment :protest

There you are then in France with cash in your pocket so I desided to look at the French site AGAIN .. you never know that by any change a new ad popped up in the neighbourhood of where we were.
    I open the site and what cars pops up at the top of the page .. the red m3 that wasn't for sale any more .. my friend said that I had to contact the seller .. so I called him but he didn't awnser .. My friend again (he is kind of inpulisve) :mrgreen: desided whe would already start driving to bordeaux .. If the seller wouldn't recontact me within the next few hours we would turn back and drive home .. LUCKELY after an hour I got the seller on the phone .. It was his intention to call me anyway that evening .. so If I was still interested in the M3 I could come and see the car the day after .. I got the promise that I would be dissapointed in this m3

Next thing we did was stop in a highway shop to buy deodorant and tooth paste .. we had not forseen this extra day in France :mrgreen: .. With my cell phone I booked an hotel in Toulouse where we arrived at 10pm

The next day we drove the last 130km to arrive at the guys place where we found an immaculate e36 m3 in the color Mugello rot .. This guy was a real M enthousiast and on top of that his job was mechanic at the M devision of BMW Bordeaux

Alot of maintenace was already done .. all proved by invoices .. tha car had a complete respray in 2009 for 5700€, a 3.2 sump and oil pump where already fitted .. cranckshaft bearings already renewed and much more .. the wheels can need a refurb and the airco doesn't work ans sometimes the starter failed but all that was told honestly by the seller

He spent 8 years to bring it back in this condition and sold it now togehter with all his other classics to get the budget for a Porsche 964

He very well thought over the upgrades that he has put on the car to make it corner and drive better

Engine wise

Tecnically completely stock .. Delage sport eprom, complete exaust with cat replacement dyno shows 304hp in stead of 286hp .. The car runs a shorter ratio LSD 3.63 in stead of the original 3.15 and due to all these changes its as fast as a standard 3.2 .. alot more torque in the low rev range

Handling setup

Bilstein eibach combination .. not to low and not to hard .. The perfect setup
    Large eibach anti roll bars
    Front and rear strut brace
    X brace

Brakes

Front 330mm tarox discs with 6 pots calipers and ferrodo ds 3000 pads
    At the back tarox discs and ferrodo ds2500 pads

all kinds of other stuff

extra vdo gauges

oilpressure
    Gearbox oil temp
    Volt meter

Tyres are continental sport contact 3 and they give me a good feeling so far in the dry and wet conditions.

Factory options:

Airco
    Electric sunroof
    Electric window
    Central door locking
    Large OBD
    Alarm
    Original bmw radio casette :mrgreen:

The driving .. the testdrive was satisfying and no flaws where detected .. It drives like a new car .. no rattles or other sound .. stays streight when stopping hard with hands of the wheel .. Payment arranged and the drive home od 1150km could begin

The first 50km went through litte country roads and villages and I immediately felt that the setup of this car was sublime .. it steered sharp as a knive and I never felt the extra weight of the e36 comparing to the e30 .. the e36 is not known as the best handling M car .. This one is !!

Highway then .. after being stuck in traffic around Bordeaux for 2 hours speed went up to 140km/h and later on to 150km/h at 4500 rpm .. oil temp constantly at 95° and water temp always perfectly stable

Because of the shorter ratio of the LSD you never have to shift to 4th gear .. at the toll boots my friend tried more than ones to pull away with his repogrammed 535d .. he never succeeded :mrgreen:

Conclusion .. this is the car for me .. it suites me like my favourite jacket .. it can always be quicker .. but at one moment in life you have to be happy with what you have .. I deliberatly chose the e36 above the e46 .. although the last one is a bit faster it is also alot more modern .. it doesn't give the real driving pleasure and feedback that this e36 gives .. I always prefer the cable driven accelerator which is much more direct than the later eletrical ones
    Last edited by HarteB; 10-02-2015, 08:03 AM.
    straight roads are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers

1982 e21 323i rs Hartge
    1989 e30 325i convertible
    1994 e36 m3

After getting home without any problem I washed the car a few days later ..

This one stops :-)

Detail that gives an inpression of the overall look

Together with the e30

At the moment the car is given a big maintenance and is being homologated for use on Belgian roads

Probably I can start driving it mid to end october
    Last edited by HarteB; 10-02-2015, 09:31 AM.

1982 e21 323i rs Hartge
    1994 e36 m3

Comment

no engine bay pics???!!!

great story btw
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

here you are

interior

1982 e21 323i rs Hartge
        1994 e36 m3

Comment

I love Euro S50s, its obvious that the S54 was a development off of the euro motor than anything resembling the american S50
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Its ashame that you guys missed out on the euro spec e36 m3 .. those are the last pure drivers m3 .. anything after that is to modern and doens't feel that direct ..

Over here in Europe prices are starting to rise slowly

1982 e21 323i rs Hartge
            1994 e36 m3

Comment

Love seeing cars as original and clean as that. Well done!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

damn. seriously such a beautiful car! If this was available here in the states, this would definitely be my daily driver
                -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Well done! You found an excellent E36. It seems difficult to find cars that clean anymore.
                  The Red Dragon V.5 1991 318iS / 2013 F800GT

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"

Comment

gorgeous car and great story behind it as well.

The Build:
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Great story and a lucky find. Enjoy!

1991 318iS Sterlingsilber - 1989 325i Cirrusblau (sold) - 1990 318iC Brilliantrot (sold)

Comment

Busy times but a little update here .. My m3 is fine tuned last tuesday ... makes great power and torque now .. 318 Bhp and 377nm of torque .. EURO versions rule :D

Grtz

hartgeB

1982 e21 323i rs Hartge
                        1994 e36 m3

Comment

Thanks for making everyone jealous

Awesome car :)
                          Originally posted by Vokuhila
                          I laughed, and then I serioused

Comment

damn! wouldn't mind having all 3 of those cars. only thing that would be nice is to paint that bbk black or silver.
                            nice group of cars though

Comment

BBK is black now ;)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

1982 e21 323i rs Hartge
                              1994 e36 m3

Comment

Working...
                              X