No announcement yet.

New member - ? about a possible purchase. 1985 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason these prices are so low is the early model 318i is like the lowest of the low north american e30 model.. the only real thing that car has going for it is its history and what the car will be if you keep it in perfect stock shape. It would only really appreciate in value if kept in original condition.

And I don't think it'd cost you 5k in the long run considering maintenance on this car is easy enough to do yourself. Random odds and ends aren't expensive if you go to a junk yard or find some guy here selling stuff. And people practically give away bottle caps so you're good there. You could even find some nice oem steelies which would go well with that car. With a complete service history you should be able to schedule and plan out maintenance so nothing creeps up on you

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

normally for a M10 car Id say ~1500, but its pretty clean, I still wouldnt spend more than 2 grand, and even thats quite a bit since i would want to change a bunch of stuff. You should start the negotiating in the $12-1500 range and go from there
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
        the only real thing that car has going for it is its history and what the car will be if you keep it in perfect stock shape. It would only really appreciate in value if kept in original condition.
        That's my exact plan, to keep as closed to stock as possible with only suspension changes/upgrades.

I hope to talk to the GM today ;)

Comment

Good suspension + basketweaves (or euroweaves) + Euro bumpers and call it done.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Everyone posting about how slow the motor is...just put a 24v in it! That car with a clean 24v swap is definitely worth 6k+
            Current:
            1989 325i
            1988 M3
            1987 325ic
            Past:
            2001 330ci
            2001 M3

Comment

Welcome ! If you ever find yourself needing another cluster i got an early one lying around lol jus sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
              1998 e36 328ic/5 -
              Roundie alpina pig cheekā€™d (1969)
              1967 2002 parts car
              1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Wait a minute

The 318i was light. The M10 engine dangerously slow but it had a chain instead of a belt, so the chances of messing the engine was non existent. That and the belt changes can be expensive.

Mpgs were so-so. You had to redline the thing to drive it.

It wouldnt be a bad platform to start with especially if you had an engine swap down the line. It makes a decent daily, as long as you didnt have anyone in the car to weigh the thing down any further. Forget about going up hill on the fast lane.

I wouldnt be discourage from a clean example either. Sure, I'd opt for an "is" and cut through the chase as most would but at the end of the day, its still an e30.

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                The reason these prices are so low is the early model 318i is like the lowest of the low north american e30 model.. the only real thing that car has going for it is its history and what the car will be if you keep it in perfect stock shape. It would only really appreciate in value if kept in original condition.

And I don't think it'd cost you 5k in the long run considering maintenance on this car is easy enough to do yourself. Random odds and ends aren't expensive if you go to a junk yard or find some guy here selling stuff. And people practically give away bottle caps so you're good there. You could even find some nice oem steelies which would go well with that car. With a complete service history you should be able to schedule and plan out maintenance so nothing creeps up on you

Comment

Well sorry for the late response but I do have some good news, if all goes as planned, I will own the car come mid-next week. Total price after taxes and title change and blah blah comes to $2376 out the door :p

I did take the car out for lunch on Wednesday and had a blast driving it. It's a bit slow but not too bad lol. Funny thing is, on the way back from work a "mid-40's" guy pulled next to me at the light and asked, "How much want for it?". lol. I told him it wasn't for sale and he just looked at me dead-serious and asked the same question again.

I told him I was buying it and he gave me the thumbs up and said, "That thing is clean. Good find."

Niiiiiice!!!

I'll post pics next week. I took some with my phone but they were crap

Comment

Working...
                  X