e30 Touring -> Till death do us part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 Touring -> Till death do us part

From the moment I first laid eyes on an e30 Touring (while scouring the far reaches of the interwebs for my first car) I knew I had to have one. There was only a slight problem.. They were never imported into the USA, and it be at least 5 years before the first legal imports would start trickling in. So instead, to wet my appetite some more, I settled for a beautiful 1995 Alpine White 525it, she was a great car but there was always that nagging thought of the e30 touring. The only regret I ever had about my e34 525it was the day I had to sell her as I moved across the Atlantic for a season or two.
    Sadly the 525it was before the times of Google Photos saving every picture you have ever taken and I can't seem to find a decent picture of my car, just a few shots of the rear end, which is odd..

But I did build it up with a nearly identical side profile as another PNW 525it so I will post a picture of that car instead, as it is almost identical. (Minus the big brake kit)

This past week things all somehow fell into place with perfect(ish) timing and the opportunity presented itself to purchase a beautiful single owner (plus the importer for 6 months) e30 touring brought in from Hamburg Germany. This car is amazingly straight and pure for a 25 year old car and that's just what I wanted. An unmolested masterpiece that just needs a little loving to bring it back to its original glory. And after that who knows, I haven't really decided where I am going with this car yet, only time will tell.

Even came with a set of Winter Tires on steel wheels

The mechanical Euro clock may be may favorite little touch on this car

I hope to get some better pictures posted in the coming weeks when I have little time that coincides with some decent PNW weather. Let me know what you think and what your thoughts are of where I should go with this car.
    Last edited by Bruss92; 12-02-2015, 12:01 AM.

hope to find one as clean good luck with your virgin find

Comment

Congrats on your purchase! Hope to see it around sometime since you are from WA

Comment

Originally posted by Aninman View Post
        Congrats on your purchase! Hope to see it around sometime since you are from WA
        Thanks! For sure, looking forward to next years E30 picnic already. Glad to see there seems to be a great E30 culture here!

Comment

Got my first part for the E30 today. A few of the more eagle eyed members may have noticed that that the right rear "bottle cap" was missing.

This needed to be fixed immediately, so after a bit of searching around I was able to pick up a used one, and for a reasonable amount of money.

This will probably be the easiest thing I will ever install on this car so 5 seconds later all was back in balance. Well more so at least. To my pleasant surprise the new one was even nicer then the other three.

I see new emblems in the new future...

Comment

Really great find and a beautiful canvas to work with.

1991 318iS Sterlingsilber - 1989 325i Cirrusblau (sold) - 1990 318iC Brilliantrot (sold)

Comment

Nice touring, it is getting harder to find unmolested ones!

Have fun with it, I keep finding it funny that the e30's I see most often driving around here is one of the holy grails on the other end of the pond
              Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Originally posted by bostonvert View Post
                Nice touring, it is getting harder to find unmolested ones!

Have fun with it, I keep finding it funny that the e30's I see most often driving around here is one of the holy grails on the other end of the pond
                By the time that they are allowed in due to the 25 year import laws it becomes pretty challenging to find unmolested examples that are not rust buckets. Quite annoying really but can't complain when you become one of the lucky few in the states.

Now if I could only raid your junk yards for parts..

Comment

Originally posted by Bruss92 View Post
                  By the time that they are allowed in due to the 25 year import laws it becomes pretty challenging to find unmolested examples that are not rust buckets. Quite annoying really but can't complain when you become one of the lucky few in the states.

Now if I could only raid your junk yards for parts..
                  Here comes the catch...

We don't have junkyards filled with old bimmers. I have yet to discover one. We do have companies that specialize in breaking old bmw's but they are cheap! Most of our hunting happens trough the euro version of craigslist/forums/german ebay

A lot of these cars when they were relatively new (10-15 years ) got exported to the eastern EU states and we just don't have as many left here as in the states. You guys are the lucky ones who can just head over to a junkyard filled with old bmw's to pick whatever you need

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Originally posted by bostonvert View Post
                    Here comes the catch...

We don't have junkyards filled with old bimmers. I have yet to discover one. We do have companies that specialize in breaking old bmw's but they are cheap! Most of our hunting happens trough the euro version of craigslist/forums/german ebay

A lot of these cars when they were relatively new (10-15 years ) got exported to the eastern EU states and we just don't have as many left here as in the states. You guys are the lucky ones who can just head over to a junkyard filled with old bmw's to pick whatever you need
                    Now it makes sense when searching for touring specific parts they all seem to be located it Latvia. Yeah that's true, though it is still pretty rare to find one in a junk yard here as well. Most people part them on the forums and craigslist.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bruss92 View Post
                      Now it makes sense when searching for touring specific parts they all seem to be located it Latvia. Yeah that's true, though it is still pretty rare to find one in a junk yard here as well. Most people part them on the forums and craigslist.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
                      Well shoot me a PM if you ever wan't someone looking around for parts. I've been doing weekly web hunts for a very long time for my e28 and I like to know how the market is evolving

Tweedehands of nieuwe Overige Auto-onderdelen of gratis verkopen? Het meest diverse gebruikte aanbod van België. Eenvoudig, persoonlijk en relevant.

Found a guy who's parting out a 325 touring, let me know and I'll keep an eye out for you

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Hack of the day...

Today I had a little extra time in the evening so I decided I would tare apart the glovebox flashlight and see if I could get new battery and LED in their somehow.

I had a bag of bright white LED's and a couple extra CR2025 batteries laying around so that's what was used. I drilled the metal casing out of the old bulb which allowed me to easily hold the new LED in place. I then 3D printed a couple little disks to hold the battery in the right place, bent some leads, and we were in business, operated by the original switch and all. Sadly I forgot to take any pictures until after I had super glued it back together. Here are the results though.

We have Light

Left the chargers in their with nothing connected so it will still mount correctly

Light Off

Light On

Comment

Working...
                        X