Chassis stiffening, chassis gussets and giving thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    so are you going to sign up to the Big Willow event on Jan 16 that the Alfa club is putting on?
    Not going to that event
    Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
    I love the way you took care of your rear seat. Great job overall!
    Thanks
    Originally posted by BUDNUNTA View Post
    You need to get the cabrio reinforcements in there under the fenders and the ones between the strut tower and skirt. The front of these cars are so weak

I haven't done a set yet but I know they will make a big difference
    Thanks for the tip.
    Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
    very nice!
    Thanks
    Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    Awesome, chassis stiffening really pays off. I've done everything you have except the half cage, though my car still has the chassis rigidity of a wet piece of Charmin
    Say no to wet noodles
    Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
    I somewhat agree with this. Vertical loads are an order of magnitude higher than lateral, on the strut towers. E30s lack a triangular'ish support from A-pillar lower section to strut/enginebay side rail. Google a picture of E36 or 34 without fender and you'll see what I'm getting at. I made supports bit like that on my car.

I didn't bother making those sheet metal square shaped reinforcements to struts, that you see in a cabrio enginebay. I found that while under lateral force, the strut tower and side rail deflect an equal amount so no point joining them together? I'll have admit I'm confused as to why cabrios have them.
    PS.. an E30 cabrio has many other worthwhile reinforcements that a sedan lacks. If you know where to look.

-Jarno
    Thanks jarno
    I have never noticed the extra chassis bracing inside of the vert fenders

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
    love the roll bar, I want something similar in my sedan in the future. would you mind posting a photo of the circled mounting area. I noticed you have it bolted in vs welded I was worried the wheel well area was maybe too thin of an area for the bolts. TIA

there is a nice flat spot at the top of the wheel well that's where these plates land. The wheel well now has a piece of carpet covering it and it's hard to climb back there to get a picture. I'll see what i can do.

-
    Project
    Parts for Sale
    Feedback
    YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
    X